PDA

View Full Version : Scouting report, Week 4: Here's what Steelers, Big Ben will do vs. Bucs

one side only
09-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Excellent analysis from Bus perspective:
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/scouting-report-week-4-heres-what-steelers-big-ben-will-do-vs-bucs-w-film/2199354
Some salient points:
1. Since 2010, when the NFL started scheduling games on Thursday nights beside season openers and the traditional Thanksgiving matchups, teams that have played on Thursday are 59-53 the next week. So the 10 days off between games isn't such a big factor.
2. The Buccaneers have gone three-and-out 26.5 percent of the time. According to footballoutsiders.com, they average only 4.88 plays per drive and 23.35 yards per drive, both of which rank second-to-last in the NFL.
3. The Steelers' offense averages 6.16 plays per drive (16th) and 38.62 yards per drive (4th).
4. Of the Bucs 13 third downs against the Falcons, 11 were 3rd-and-5 or worse, and seven of those were after Mike Glennon replaced Josh McCown. We all know the history of quarterbacks facing a LeBeau-coached defense for the first time.
The author makes a big deal out of the injuries on the Steelers defense. Who besides me thinks Moats may be an upgrade in terms of pass rush over Jones? Spence over Shazier is a push. Whomever plays on the outside in the nickel (Blake, McCain or Webb) is not as good as Ike. Mike Evans will present match up problems like Kelvin Benjamin did. Can Glennon get him the ball?

The author predicts a close game, and I admit this game has me worried only from the standpoint that Mike Glennon has no ownership in the Bucs debacle thus far, and could rally the troops. The Steelers need to put the Bucs away early, and not think everything is hunky dory after last week and think the Bucs will just roll over.