PDA

View Full Version : LaDainian Tomlinson: "I would take Le'Veon Bell over any RB in the league right now

polamalubeast
09-23-2014, 07:54 PM
After Le'Veon Bell racked up 197 yards in the season opener, we noted that the Pittsburgh Steelers' 2013 second-round draft pick was easily the best running back we witnessed in Week 1.

On subsequent editions of the Around The League Podcast, we touted Bell as an emerging star who will be viewed as a consensus top-five NFL back by the end of the 2014 season.

Leading all players with 461 yards from scrimmage after another dominant performance in Week 3 versus the NFL's best front seven, Bell is already being recognized as a marquee name in the NFL's tailback pecking order.

"Let me just say this: Right now, I would take Le'Veon Bell over any running back in the league," NFL Media's LaDainian Tomlinson said on Tuesday's edition of NFL Total Access. "... He can do it all, people. He can run inside, he has the speed to turn the corner, he can catch the football, he's versatile, he's athletic. I love Le'Veon Bell."

Tomlinson will get no argument from us.

Adrian Peterson is languishing on the Exempt List. LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles have yet to reach their 2013 paces.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000399883/article/leveon-bell-now-nfls-best-ladainian-tomlinson-says?campaign=Twitter_atn

Craic
09-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Interestisng end to the article, pointing at that the Steelers can boast of legitimate stars at three different skill positions right now. What they forgot, I beleive, is Heath Miller. We haven't heard much from him yet, but in actuality, we have legitimate stars in four different skilled positions right now. If our O-line can hold up, there's no reason we can't role out that kind of game every week.

AND, fully expect what we saw as well, a low scoring first half, followed by an explosive second. That run game, along with chasing down Antonio Brown, will wear teams down.

fansince'76
09-23-2014, 08:14 PM
If our O-line can hold up, there's no reason we can't role out that kind of game every week.

Well, I can think of one reason...

http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/index_1801.jpg

Ben needs to be handed the reins of the offense completely, IMO.

Count Steeler
09-23-2014, 08:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap3000000399896/Mayock-s-Slant-Steelers-running-game

Band wagon is taking on passengers. Sheesh, 1 game.

We have a looooong way to go.

katmandu
09-23-2014, 09:47 PM
"Let me just say this: Right now, I would take Le'Veon Bell over any running back in the league," NFL Media's LaDainian Tomlinson said on Tuesday's edition of NFL Total Access. "... He can do it all, people. He can run inside, he has the speed to turn the corner, he can catch the football, he's versatile, he's athletic. I love Le'Veon Bell."

Tomlinson will get no argument from us.

Adrian Peterson is languishing on the Exempt List. LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles have yet to reach their 2013 paces.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000399883/article/leveon-bell-now-nfls-best-ladainian-tomlinson-says?campaign=Twitter_atnAl Michael's compared Bell to Marcus Allen during last Sunday's game. He really talked him up big!

Edman
09-23-2014, 09:51 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap3000000399896/Mayock-s-Slant-Steelers-running-game

Like it or not, when you rush for over 240+ yards as a team against what is considered one of the elite defenses in the NFL and lead the league in rushing, people are going to take notice.

Le'Veon Bell has been our one true constant in these three games and was hot last year too. He's earned his praise and attention.

X-Terminator
09-23-2014, 09:53 PM

Bell's already had 2 games like this, though. And he was very good in the 2nd half last season. I understand the need for caution, but he's earned this praise. He and the team have racked up big yardage on the ground against a couple of pretty good defenses.

Craic
09-23-2014, 10:00 PM

http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/index_1801.jpg

The problem with that, however, is that I keep noticing all the call people complain about, are plays called when we're deep in our own end. As if we want to risk throwing the ball here, there, and everywhere when we're on our own 5 or 10 yard line. I also notice that Ben's a heck of a lot more healthy now than he's been in a long time, and I think much of that has to do with the playcalling. Getting the ball out a second and a half after its been snapped goes a long way in protecting the QB.

GBMelBlount
09-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Our running backs have definitely been kicking ass and......placing orders.

http://02804cf22a6e7b7042d7-acae2c2628dcdf3f1dfc3ee4f6e97624.r48.cf1.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/LeVeon-Bell-LeGarrette-Blount-marijuana-Memes-570x304.jpg

Shoes
09-23-2014, 10:09 PM
The problem with that, however, is that I keep noticing all the call people complain about, are plays called when we're deep in our own end. As if we want to risk throwing the ball here, there, and everywhere when we're on our own 5 or 10 yard line. I also notice that Ben's a heck of a lot more healthy now than he's been in a long time, and I think much of that has to do with the playcalling. Getting the ball out a second and a half after its been snapped goes a long way in protecting the QB.

I think it does too. Like it or not, I think this is a Rooney mandate to Haley. And it sure is nice to see Ben end the game with a clean uniform.

Edman
09-23-2014, 10:31 PM

I'm not really a fan of his playcalling either, but I think the results speak for themselves. Ben isn't peeling himself off the turf anymore, suffering some nagging injury that affects his season, and finished his first full season since 2008 last year. Now more than ever the Steelers need Ben upright.

Like it or not, the days of Renegade Ben on the run from Defenses appear to be over. The Steelers turned their offense back ten years to 2004, and so far it's working out. Everything we hated about Bruce Arians is gone.

zulater
09-24-2014, 12:25 AM

No. Bell's been good all three games. Even the Ravens game when virtually everyone including Ben looked like crap, LeVeon maximized every opportunity. He's without question the most talented back we've had since Bettis was in his prime.

Craic
09-24-2014, 03:40 PM
No. Bell's been good all three games. Even the Ravens game when virtually everyone including Ben looked like crap, LeVeon maximized every opportunity. He's without question the most talented back we've had since Bettis was in his prime.

That brings up an interesting discussion: do you really thing Bettis was that talented? I don't. I think he has superior strength and speed for his size, and had both a mental attitude and a work ethic to match. That's what made him so good. When you talk "talent," I think more of the Barry Sanders type running back, the type that have eyes in the back of their head and can make split second decisions to reverse themselves, and have them be the right decisions.

That's not, of course, taking anything away from Bettis. I just see him a whole lot more as a skilled player that took advantage of his natural ability by hard work, in the same way I see Hines Ward. And in truth, I'd rather have that than players who are "Talent" players, because more often than not, they haven't had to continue developing their skill level (See Mendenhall).

zulater
09-24-2014, 04:04 PM
That brings up an interesting discussion: do you really thing Bettis was that talented? I don't. I think he has superior strength and speed for his size, and had both a mental attitude and a work ethic to match. That's what made him so good. When you talk "talent," I think more of the Barry Sanders type running back, the type that have eyes in the back of their head and can make split second decisions to reverse themselves, and have them be the right decisions.

That's not, of course, taking anything away from Bettis. I just see him a whole lot more as a skilled player that took advantage of his natural ability by hard work, in the same way I see Hines Ward. And in truth, I'd rather have that than players who are "Talent" players, because more often than not, they haven't had to continue developing their skill level (See Mendenhall).

When the Steelers first got Bettis in 96 until he started getting slowed by injuries 2/3 of the way through the 2001 season he was in fact a very talented back. He had great vision,, great balance, really good feet, and of course exceptional power. But it was his vision and nifty feet that set him apart from just another big guy behind a good offensive line. Go find some tapes of him in 96 and 97. Hell if we'd only stuck to running Bettis in the the 97 AFC title game we probably have one more Super Bowl appearance in our belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28fW-eKa36E#t=198

Edman
09-24-2014, 05:34 PM
If the Bus was just another "Fat" back and had no skill or talent, it would've been very easy for the Steelers to replace him, right?

Right?

I didn't think so. In those awkward late 90's with Korkie Stewart, the Bus was the Steelers ONLY means of Reliable Offense. That's how good he was.

Bettis was actually leading the league in Rushing in 2001 until he got hurt. The Steelers REALLY missed him in the 2001 playoffs.

I know, it's been a very long time, and seeing the likes of one-note Willie Parker, Fumble Spinthenfall, Isaac Redman or Jon Dwyer have dulled our standards on Steelers RB's, but Bettis untalented? Really?

polamalubeast
09-24-2014, 05:41 PM
If the Bus was just another "Fat" back and had no skill or talent, it would've been very easy for the Steelers to replace him, right?

Right?

I didn't think so. In those awkward late 90's with Korkie Stewart, the Bus was the Steelers ONLY means of Reliable Offense. That's how good he was.

Bettis was actually leading the league in Rushing in 2001 until he got hurt. The Steelers REALLY missed him in the 2001 playoffs.

I know, it's been a very long time, and seeing the likes of one-note Willie Parker, Fumble Spinthenfall, Isaac Redman or Jon Dwyer have dulled our standards on Steelers RB's, but Bettis untalented? Really?

I agree and to add to that, even in 2004 and 2005, Bettis was very useful to the steelers.

Bettis was great in goal-line situations and short-yard situations.The Steelers have been bad for many years in short yard situations after his retirement

86WARD
09-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Untalented???

st33lersguy
09-24-2014, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't go far as to say that yet, but if he keeps it up then I can't argue