PDA

View Full Version : The steelers are first in rushing yards after 3 games

polamalubeast
09-23-2014, 06:09 PM
And they are first in yards per carry with 6.0.....Of course, the game against the Panthers helped, but Bell has had at least 5 yards per carry in every game right now....The Steelers are first in yards despite that the Steelers have used the running game only 81 times after 3 games which ranks 17th in the NFL.

If Bell continues to be good like that, do you think the Steelers should run the ball more often?

The Cowherball is not a bad idea when you have at least 5 yards per carry!

Count Steeler
09-23-2014, 06:55 PM
This isn't Cowher Ball, this is running the ball more effectively, which is what Art wanted.

Glad we are starting to see the fruits of Munchak and Saxon already.

Haley, we play in Dallas this week, so we will see you there on Sunday. He might be good at schemes and whatever else he is doing, but play calling should be removed from his portfolio.

Craic
09-23-2014, 07:18 PM
This isn't Cowher Ball, this is running the ball more effectively, which is what Art wanted.

Glad we are starting to see the fruits of Munchak and Saxon already.

Haley, we play in Dallas this week, so we will see you there on Sunday. He might be good at schemes and whatever else he is doing, but play calling should be removed from his portfolio.

Bingo. There's a massive difference between Cowherball and what we're seeing now. What the OP did not note was that we are 11th in yards gained through the air, 7th in yards gained per attempt through the air, 11th in completion percentage, and in the middle of the pack for sacks.

Or, to put it a different way, we're a top third passing team, which disallows teams stacking the box or focusing on the run. To go back to Cowher ball now wouldn't be shooting ourselves in the foot, it'd be more like taking a hack saw to the legs just below the knees.

polamalubeast
09-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Cowherball was not the right word!

I not saying to overlooked the passing game, but sometimes the Steelers could run a little more if the running game is working.I talk particularly from the game against Baltimore...The Steelers had run the ball well against Baltimore, but the Steelers had only 18 runs(only 11 carries for Bell) even if the game was close for a while

Craic
09-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Cowherball was not the right word!

I not saying to overlooked the passing game, but sometimes the Steelers could run a little more if the running game is working.I talk particularly from the game against Baltimore...The Steelers had run the ball well against Baltimore, but the Steelers had only 18 runs(only 11 carries for Bell) even if the game was close for a while

The problem is that if we're having to play catch-up, we can't run the ball. We have to move it, fast. And the Ravens had our number when it came to the line. I wouldn't have trusted the line to open holes repeatedly that game.

fansince'76
09-24-2014, 04:42 AM
Well, the team turning in its best overall rushing performance in a game since a 303-yard effort against the Browns in 2006 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200612070pit.htm) will certainly skew the numbers, especially only 3 games into the season. I personally don't take much stock in league statistical leaders this early in the season. Where we sit after week 11 or 12 will be a much better barometer.

However, Bell has looked really good in all 3 games. He was about the only bright spot against the Ravens.

Count Steeler
09-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Well, the team turning in its best overall rushing performance in a game since a 303-yard effort against the Browns in 2006 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200612070pit.htm) will certainly skew the numbers, especially only 3 games into the season. I personally don't take much stock in league statistical leaders this early in the season. Where we sit after week 11 or 12 will be a much better barometer.

However, Bell has looked really good in all 3 games. He was about the only bright spot against the Ravens.

My sentiments exactly. Early season stats are always highly skewed. For example, in baseball, someone hits 2 home runs in the first game and some "reporters" have the nerve to say, "He is on pace for 324 homers". Just say he had a good game and leave it at that.

The Steelers have found an excellent player in Bell, and so far, for a second round pick, he is a steal. I look forward to watching him as our premier back and LeBlount has also already proven to have game. But none of this happens if the O Line doesn't come together.

pepsyman1
09-24-2014, 11:28 PM
What we have is the ability to pass OR run effectively because we have the talent at the skill positions and the O-line is finally getting some results. Hopefully that means that we will have a balanced attack with the ability to adjust to whatever teams try to do defensively. If they put 8 in the box, Ben can make them pay for it. If they back off and try to blanket all our receivers, Bell will be stampeding into their secondary

Steeldude
09-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Exactly. This game skews the numbers. The Steelers may be on top in terms of the stats, but I don't think they have the #1 rushing attack just yet. They need a consistent and strong rushing attack as the season progresses. They can't rely on 40+ yard runs. If you take away Bell's 81-yard run his average is 3.3YPC for the game. That being said, Bell has looked good with his patience. As long as the O-line can keep defenders from penetrating quickly he should do well.

The tackles are what worry me. Neither of them have looked good in pass protection at all. This has been an ongoing problem since Marvel Smith left.

Edman
09-25-2014, 07:34 AM
This isn't Cowherball "Bettis Up the Middle".

This is Whisenhunt Ball. A return to 2004-2006 Era Steelers Football. A team that can run the ball and pass just as effectively. Only this time, Ben is a veteran and not a young guy.

People really took for granted the Steelers Offense during those years. It was really effective. There's a reason why the Steelers went 26-6 those years (8-8 Motorcycle Crash notwithstanding).

Jaucer
09-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Exactly. This game skews the numbers. The Steelers may be on top in terms of the stats, but I don't think they have the #1 rushing attack just yet. They need a consistent and strong rushing attack as the season progresses. They can't rely on 40+ yard runs. If you take away Bell's 81-yard run his average is 3.3YPC for the game. That being said, Bell has looked good with his patience. As long as the O-line can keep defenders from penetrating quickly he should do well.

The tackles are what worry me. Neither of them have looked good in pass protection at all. This has been an ongoing problem since Marvel Smith left.

I'll just play devil's advocate here and post the question. Does the running back make the o-line or does the o-line make the running back?

From what I have witnessed with Bell, he actually makes the O-line look better. His patience in setting up the blocks is phenomenal. Look at it his way, Mendy was a very talented back but never really rushed for shit. He did not set his blockers up, so was it a problem of the o-line sucking or was it that the running back sucked? I'll guess the latter. The whole unit needs to work together in sync. Either the running back being off or the o-line off and the run game goes to shit.