PDA

View Full Version : Ike to Stay on the Active 53 man Roster for now.....

katmandu
09-23-2014, 05:39 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/steelers-injury-report-team-will-keep-cb-ike-taylor-53-man-roster-now/

Can teams only have one player on the IR Designated to Return roster at a time ?? I believe I read that somewhere.

If not, why would the Steeler's NOT put him on the IR DR list as well ? Would this not allow them to bring up another player on to the roster ??

Why type a roster spot for 8-12 weeks ??

Steelerette
09-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Essentially we had Jarvis and Ike competing for the one IR-Returning spot that we're allowed.

This is only my best guess, but Jarvis looked more likely to be able to return in 8 weeks so he got the call, and now with Ike they're waiting to see whether a late season return seems likely. If it does, he'll just stay active I suppose.

SteelerFanInStl
09-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Yes, a team can only have one player on the IR DR list.

I don't know why they don't just put Ike on the IR. That was a bad break and he's just taking up a roster spot. He might be able to play again in 6 weeks or so but he'd be playing with a cast on. It's not like as if he's playing that well anyway.

Steelerette
09-23-2014, 05:56 PM
He might be able to play again in 6 weeks or so but he'd be playing with a cast on.It's not as though he was going to catch any interceptions anyway. While I wouldn't mind going after one of those aging veterans out there on the FA market, and hoping they pick up enough of the system between now and whatever-injury-causes-them-to-need-to-play, keeping Ike is probably better than signing random journeyman-retread-number-455 or practice-squad-hero-377.

Count Steeler
09-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Yes, a team can only have one player on the IR DR list.

I don't know why they don't just put Ike on the IR. That was a bad break and he's just taking up a roster spot. He might be able to play again in 6 weeks or so but he'd be playing with a cast on. It's not like as if he's playing that well anyway.

Remember what they did for Aaron Smith. Very little chance he would play, but they kept him on the roster. Let's not forget what Ike did in taking a pay cut. Tomlin doesn't kiss everyone on the head.

SteelerFanInStl
09-23-2014, 09:17 PM
I like Ike and appreciate all that he has done for the Steelers but let's face it, that roster spot can be put to better use elsewhere. Our CBs were already terrible as it was and now we're down one. We at least need another body that can play.

86WARD
09-24-2014, 09:05 AM
At a certain point he should be able to play with a cast right? It's not like it's going to affect his ability to catch.

steelreserve
09-24-2014, 11:15 AM
At a certain point he should be able to play with a cast right? It's not like it's going to affect his ability to catch.

I was about to say the same thing. Although if your arm is still messed up, doing things like taking on a running back head-on to tackle him probably won't work so well.

As I said in another thread, this is probably about two things. One is that you don't immediately know how long a broken arm takes; no matter what it "looks" like, it could be 4 weeks or it could be 4 months. Second thing is that if we put him on IR, all we'll do is churn through a bunch of end-of-the-roster scrubs who are no better than our current bench guys. Do we really need to see Curtis Brown come in again and be cut after a week to be replaced by Isaiah Green, who's cut after a week to be replaced by Curtis Brown? That does us no good. Ike if he's healthy is still much better than the 4th- and 5th-string Bozos who are sitting on roster spots now, and IR locks us into using them only.

If we actually manage to sign someone halfway decent, better to cut one of the end-of-the-bench guys than Taylor. If we don't trust them in a game, what good are they anyway?