PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Le'Veon Bell shows less is more

polamalubeast
09-23-2014, 04:12 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell has been the breakout star three weeks into the NFL season.

The second-year man leads the AFC with 315 rushing yards and his 5.9 yards per carry is the highest among all players with more than 30 carries.

The dynamic running that has powered the NFL's best rushing attack has its roots in a talk Bell had with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin in March 2013.

The two met at Michigan State the night before Spartans' pro day and Tomlin told Bell he would probably have to play at a lower weight to succeed at the next level.

"He bought into that," Tomlin said.

Indeed, Bell, who played at close to 250 pounds in college, showed up at Steelers' rookie minicamp a week after they drafted him and weighed in at 244 pounds.

Bell dropped about 20 more pounds over the course of his rookie season and is currently at the weight that, to paraphrase Tomlin, obviously agrees with him.

"He ended last year in the mid-220s. He reported back this year in the mid-220s," Tomlin said. "He has shown he is committed to maintaining a level of conditioning over the course of a 12-month calendar and he has taken off from there. I think his play is reflecting that."

Is it ever.

Bell, who uses patience to set up his blocks, has also shown the kind of quickness and burst that was not evident until the end of last season when the 2013 second-round pick was finally healthy after missing the first three games because of a sprained foot.

He is second in the NFL in rushing, and with the offense running through Bell the Steelers lead the league in rushing with 163.3 yards per game.

Bell is not the only reason why the Steelers have dramatically improved in running the ball after averaging 86.4 rushing yards per game last season.

LeGarrette Blount is averaging 7.8 yards per carry, and he ripped off a 51-yard run in the Steelers' 37-19 win against the Carolina Panthers. Bell had broken free for an 81-yard run earlier in that game.

Last season the Steelers' longest run was 43 yards, and the big runs turned in by Bell and Blount against the Panthers are part of the mounting evidence that Pittsburgh has the best running back tandem in the NFL.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/141900/steelers-leveon-bell-shows-less-is-more

ALLD
09-23-2014, 04:17 PM
He has suddenness and glide. It's all about hats on hats and winning the battle for real estate.

Edman
09-23-2014, 05:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2jTmYG8.jpg

"Steelers Football" Fogies from the Cowher years have just had a collective hard-on.

HollywoodSteel
09-23-2014, 05:44 PM
He has suddenness and glide. It's all about hats on hats and winning the battle for real estate.

Obviously his pedigree was on display as he went into a hostile environment where they attempted to defend every blade of grass, but Bell obviously refused to be an indian in their cowboy movie. Obviously.

polamalubeast
09-23-2014, 05:51 PM

"Steelers Football" Fogies from the Cowher years have just had a collective hard-on.

And this is with 6.0 YPC!!!!!

Craic
09-23-2014, 06:02 PM

And here's the great thing about that, it's been done the right way. I know people yell about "Haleyball" but the fact of the matter is, he's protecting Ben. Running the ball when deep in our zone, letting Ben have control when he wants to take it, and shutting down the game with the run at the end of the second half.

It's what we've been asking for, for a long time: a balanced offense that can close games with the run.

tube517
09-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Meh. Take away all the runs over 5 yards and the running game sucks. Fire Saxon and Munchak! :chuckle:

Count Steeler
09-23-2014, 06:58 PM
And here's the great thing about that, it's been done the right way. I know people yell about "Haleyball" but the fact of the matter is, he's protecting Ben. Running the ball when deep in our zone, letting Ben have control when he wants to take it, and shutting down the game with the run at the end of the second half.

It's what we've been asking for, for a long time: a balanced offense that can close games with the run.

I like everything Haley has done except the play calling. Clear difference when Ben calls them and when Haley calls them. Or maybe the players just execute better when Ben calls them.

Craic
09-23-2014, 07:04 PM
I like everything Haley has done except the play calling. Clear difference when Ben calls them and when Haley calls them. Or maybe the players just execute better when Ben calls them.

The thing is, I've noticed that most of the playcalling we're complaining about are plays that are happening deep in our own end with little real estate between us and our goal line. Those calls are safe, run plays. The others, are the quick 1.5 second screens, but those are the very plays that are keeping Ben upright as well. And, the fact of the matter is, they're working more times than not. Really, they're just extended running plays.

Edman
09-23-2014, 07:12 PM

It's also what Art II has been asking for. The Offense from 2004-05, when the Steelers won 26 games and went to two AFC Championship games. It's not pretty. There's no more Mike Wallace streaking down the sidelines, but this works.

Haley isn't perfect, and I hate his playcalling, but I'll gladly take this over Ariansball and Ben getting destroyed week after week. If Ben goes down for any amount of time, this team is fucked.