PDA

View Full Version : Did this past game actually force an upgrade?

LLT
09-22-2014, 08:45 PM
With the injuries, and the opportunity to finally get to see some of the more intriguing backups this last week. The question could be posed....Are we a "better" team if we start Kiesel at DE...Moats at OLB...and either Gay or Blake at CB?

Psycho Ward 86
09-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Im gonna go with a resounding yes on Keisel over Cam Thomas...

Although on Steelers Depot, the snap counts indicate that both players had about the same number of snaps for the ravens and panthers game. I think the coaching staff just game planned well for this one. Some of the Panthers best players like Kalil, Decoud, Kuechly, and Thomas Davis just looked like fools out there time and time again

Count Steeler
09-22-2014, 09:42 PM
I really want to see more of Moats. With Taylor out, we should eliminate some penalties. Allen needs to get his head straight. 1 game a season does not make for Blake, so he needs some reps before we can really see what he has.

Shoes
09-22-2014, 09:45 PM
I really want to see more of Moats. With Taylor out, we should eliminate some penalties. Allen needs to get his head straight. 1 game a season does not make for Blake, so he needs some reps before we can really see what he has.

I feel the same about Moats, I think he has the tools, put him to work.

Psycho Ward 86
09-22-2014, 09:48 PM
dont forget about brice mccain.

LLT
09-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Personally I think Kiesel is a HUGE upgrade over Thomas and hope to see him as a starter with Tuitt learning behind him.

I have liked Moats since he came out of college and I saw him sooooo misused with the Bills who kept moving him from DE to ILB to OLB...etc. I was excited when we signed him and went far enough to predict that he could make it very easy for us to let Worilds go next year if Worilds demanded a huge contract. Based simply on his athleticism and instincts he is a very good backup and if he learns this system quickly he is a starting caliber player.

Taylor has been terrible this year and we are more than ready for an upgrade. It will be interesting to see who steps up, but the odds are that it will be Gay...at least at first.

Steeltreal
09-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Shamarko is a ballhawk, call his Number!

Shoes
09-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Personally I think Kiesel is a HUGE upgrade over Thomas and hope to see him as a starter with Tuitt learning behind him.

I have liked Moats since he came out of college and I saw him sooooo misused with the Bills who kept moving him from DE to ILB to OLB...etc. I was excited when we signed him and went far enough to predict that he could make it very easy for us to let Worilds go next year if Worilds demanded a huge contract. Based simply on his athleticism and instincts he is a very good backup and if he learns this system quickly he is a starting caliber player.

Taylor has been terrible this year and we are more than ready for an upgrade. It will be interesting to see who steps up, but the odds are that it will be Gay...at least at first.

I agree and actually think Gay has stepped up his game.

Psycho Ward 86
09-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Champ Bailey is still out there. I wonder if he's still got game.

Shamarko is a ballhawk, call his Number!

Here, here. I know Carnell Lake said he's working on purely being a safety this season but this sounds like a good idea. He has done it before, and with Gay now assuming more coverage outside where he isnt as strong, lets get shamarko into the mix if mccain/blake dont look up to par

Aussie_steeler
09-23-2014, 05:34 AM
I will go on record and say that Sean Spence is an upgrade over Ryan Shazier.

For me the football brain is worth more than gym pant speed.

Spence is in the right place at the right time. Shazier over runs a lot of plays. (Sean Spence's brain in Shaziers body would be the perfect ILB.)

A good analogy is LeVeon Bell vs Isaac Redman .... patient running versus running flat out at the line.

GBMelBlount
09-23-2014, 06:37 AM
LLT

Re: Did this past game actually force an upgrade?

Great perspective LLT! Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings:

"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit" ~ Napoleon Hill

Down Under

Sean Spence's brain in Shaziers body would be the perfect ILB

http://media1.break.com/breakstudios/2011/10/7/youngfrankenstein%20gnen.jpg

Shoes
09-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Spence is in the right place at the right time. Shazier over runs a lot of plays. (Sean Spence's brain in Shaziers body would be the perfect ILB.)

A good analogy is LeVeon Bell vs Isaac Redman .... patient running versus running flat out at the line.

I would agree with that. Spence seems to be a ball magnet and he sure has the smarts and guts to make a difference. But once Shazier gets everything clicking he's going to be very special.

The Bark
09-23-2014, 09:29 AM
My feeling is Spence is an upgrade for the same reasons: he's had time to digest the playbook. He WAS lighting it up before his injury, so I personally expect no drop off whatsoever. Question is, now that the Harrison deal is done, do they start him immediately (even if it's a token to ignite the defense further)? I can't imagine him not being in game shape since he just retired.

oneforthetoe
09-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Even if the player who steps up is better, I don't think that necessarily makes us better. Quality depth becomes an issue. Still think we will be better defensively by the end of the year if we can stay relatively health.

Mojouw
09-23-2014, 12:52 PM
I think the LB corp will be okay. The CB depth was terrible to start with and now it is being taxed. Imagine if Allen or Gay were to have to miss time. Who would they put on the field? 4 safeties? A beer vendor? Isiah Green?

Devilsdancefloor
09-23-2014, 12:55 PM
i think everyone is over looking wallace playing guard that is the biggest i think upgrade due to injury ATM. I dont like blake i think he gets out of position A lot. McCain if he can stay healthy is good, but more of a nickel back.

LLT
09-23-2014, 05:45 PM

Great points!!!!!! And Spence isn't a slouch athletically either!!!

Craic
09-23-2014, 06:14 PM
i think everyone is over looking wallace playing guard that is the biggest i think upgrade due to injury ATM. I dont like blake i think he gets out of position A lot. McCain if he can stay healthy is good, but more of a nickel back.

This.

SO this.

I hope that Cody Wallace gets the nod over Foster. Heck, I'd like to see them try to move Foster to one of the ends and see if he can play tackle. Can't be any worse than what we've already seen there.

HollywoodSteel
09-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Except what I don't understand is why they didn't sign Moats to a two year deal. If he has a breakout year instead of Worilds then he will be the one we can't afford to keep.

Count Steeler
09-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Except what I don't understand is why they didn't sign Moats to a two year deal. If he has a breakout year instead of Worilds then he will be the one we can't afford to keep.

I remember reading somewhere that he can't be signed now because of the contract he signed. Something to do with the CBA and vets signing for 1 year. The Steelers have to wait until the end of the season.

Shoes
09-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I'd consider playing goose Wallace over Foster for another game. Not much gets by him and he has the ability to driving his opponent into the ground

LLT
09-23-2014, 09:21 PM
I'd consider playing goose Wallace over Foster for another game. Not much gets by him and he has the ability to driving his opponent into the ground

Wallace over Foster
Moats over Harrison
Gay over Blake
Kiesel over Thomas

Agreed?

Shoes
09-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Agreed.

Wallace over Foster
Moats over Harrison
Gay over Blake
Kiesel over Thomas

Agreed?

Indeed!

Psycho Ward 86
09-23-2014, 09:34 PM

thats because he throws a nice punch ;)

Shoes
09-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Wallace did a nice job on both runs by Bell And Blount.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap3000000399896/Mayock-s-Slant-Steelers-running-game

Heinz Hitman
09-24-2014, 04:31 PM
I am excited to see Moats run with the first team. Jarvis may be good one day, but IMO Moats is way ahead of him. So we upgraded with his injury. Harrison will be nice as a situational pass rusher and I think Spence will be solid at the very least in the middle. The only thing that worries me is CB. I think Gay has been playing very well last year and this year. Cortez makes me scratch my head sometimes. And everybody else seems to suck. Hoping that the lightbulb comes on for Blake.

GoSlash27
09-24-2014, 06:02 PM
My issue isn't with Willie Gay working the corner, but rather who becomes #4 in our nickel and sub packages. Do we have that kind of depth in our secondary? It's not a case of their #1 receiver being better than Gay, but rather their #4 being better than whoever we put in that spot. Weak link and all that...
Zone blitz leans really heavily on the secondary and (as everybody knows) it's intricate. I'm worried about how well the whole system will work when we're down 3 starters.

Dwinsgames
09-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Wallace over Foster
Moats over Harrison
Gay over Blake
Kiesel over Thomas

Agreed?

I think we will see a blend of Moats and Harrison to be honest ... who gets the majority of the snaps is anyone's guess but Moats has done nothing to merit not having a continued opportunity

Devilsdancefloor
09-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Wallace over Foster
Moats over Harrison
Gay over Blake
Kiesel over Thomas

Agreed?

YES!!

Shoes
09-24-2014, 08:30 PM
I think we will see a blend of Moats and Harrison to be honest ... who gets the majority of the snaps is anyone's guess but Moats has done nothing to merit not having a continued opportunity

I'd be fine with that until one of them makes it clear who owns the position. I think Moats is going to do well.

tube517
09-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Can't wait to see Moats, Spence, and Deebo in there. Also, Dri Archer had a full practice so we will probably see him. Duce Moore didn't play much vs the Panthers. Would like to see him in some 3rd down passing plays.

Dwinsgames
09-24-2014, 08:49 PM
I'd be fine with that until one of them makes it clear who owns the position. I think Moats is going to do well.

I too think Moats will do well , I just refuse to count silverback out when its a competition as we all know he is a competitive beast and could have a very large chip on his shoulder wanting to show teams how grossly mistaken they where for not signing him prior to now ....

or maybe he just wanted a scholarship fund for his kids ?