PDA

View Full Version : 3 players colliding for LB spot

Galax Steeler
08-19-2010, 03:24 AM
This much is known about the Steelers' linebackers, arguably the finest unit in the National Football League:

When the final cuts are made and the regular season begins, eight of them will be on the 53-man roster. That is the number of linebackers the Steelers kept last season and that is the number they are expected to keep in 2010.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10231/1081085-66.stm#ixzz0x2R8LhJo

Aussie_steeler
08-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Of those, seven are considered locks to make the team: Outside linebackers James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley and No. 2 draft pick Jason Worilds and inside linebackers James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote and Keyaron Fox.
That leaves one spot to be had for two rookie draft choices -- outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, a fourth-round pick from Ohio State; or inside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, a fifth-round pick from Utah who has been something of a training-camp standout.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10231/1081085-66.stm#ixzz0x2sl7Way

I know that they would not be able to hide Gibson on the practice squad. Sylvester sounds like he needs a lot of work on his technique, lowering his pad level, to be a contributor at the next level. My guess he would really benefit from a year on the practice squad and be in a prime position to land a roster spot for 2011.

HometownGal
08-19-2010, 06:28 AM
I know that they would not be able to hide Gibson on the practice squad. Sylvester sounds like he needs a lot of work on his technique, lowering his pad level, to be a contributor at the next level. My guess he would really benefit from a year on the practice squad and be in a prime position to land a roster spot for 2011.

These are my thoughts, as well. Though I was very impressed with Sylvester's performance last Saturday night, if the coaches feel he needs a year on the PS to up his game, then so be it.

Texasteel
08-19-2010, 06:34 AM
I thought both Gibson, and Sylvester did a very good job last game. I would hate to loose either of them right now, but I do agree one of them will probably end up on the practice squad. I just hope we can hold onto the one that ends up there.

vrabinec
08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Savran thinks we'll keep 9 on the roster. I think that's the way to go. You keep your best players, and Sylvester and Gibson are better than any of the backup guys at half the positions on the roster.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/08/bet-postgazette-wrong-predicting-8-lbs/

Why risk losing either of them? They both look like keepers. When the hell was the last time we hit on two mid-round linebackers? We need to keep them while we've got them.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-19-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree with vrabinec. I see us carrying nine linebackers. Sylvester won't get much playing time, if any, on defense but he could be a special teams demon for us while he matures.

O'Malley
08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Hate to say this but if Brown is good on returns this week Logan will be out and there will be room for nine LB's.

The Duke
08-19-2010, 08:57 PM
REALLY hope they keep them both. They have so much potential, and with LeBeau you know that potential could be reached

Though if only one can stay I am almost certain it will be Gibson

easy numbers game

Chidi29
08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
That's probably why Sylvester's tackling was inconsistent last week.

SteelerFanInStl
08-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Savran thinks we'll keep 9 on the roster. I think that's the way to go. You keep your best players, and Sylvester and Gibson are better than any of the backup guys at half the positions on the roster.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/08/bet-postgazette-wrong-predicting-8-lbs/

Why risk losing either of them? They both look like keepers. When the hell was the last time we hit on two mid-round linebackers? We need to keep them while we've got them.

I hope that's what happens. I don't see either one of them making it to the practice squad, especially if they keep playing the way that they did in the first preseason game.

7willBheaven
08-19-2010, 11:22 PM
This really shouldnt be much of a decision or argument. Gibson is a lock for the roster...the only question there is or should be...do they keep 8 or 9....if they keep 9 Sylvester will be #9 simple as that. In a way i hope they do keep 9...as i doubt he would last on the PS.

MasterOfPuppets
08-20-2010, 12:48 AM
it all comes down to who makes more plays on special teams.

solardave
08-20-2010, 02:45 AM
Hate to say this but if Brown is good on returns this week Logan will be out and there will be room for nine LB's.

This could happen. I hate to see Logan go. especially if someone in the AFCN snags him. I'd hate for our coverage team to have to deal with him.

Chidi29
08-20-2010, 03:18 AM
This could happen. I hate to see Logan go. especially if someone in the AFCN snags him. I'd hate for our coverage team to have to deal with him.

Doubt anyone in our division takes him. it's pretty loaded return man wise.

Cleveland has Cribbs, Cincy has Cosby, and Baltimore has Webb and Carr.

Galax Steeler
08-20-2010, 03:24 AM
This is a good problem to have all these linebackers and the young guys waiting in the wing. We should be covered for a few years now if we get Sylvester and Gibson where they need to be.

LLT
08-20-2010, 10:07 AM

I have gone on record as saying that I love what Logan did for us...but that he is far from guaranteed a roster spot.

BuddhaBus
08-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Doubt anyone in our division takes him. it's pretty loaded return man wise.

Cleveland has Cribbs, Cincy has Cosby, and Baltimore has Webb and Carr.

I don't know, with Webb and Carr both coming off of injuries, the Ravens may want to lighten their load some and not risk re-injury.

SteelMember
08-20-2010, 10:38 AM
So, unless Bailey makes some sportscenter highlights pretty soon... he'll be out of the picture 1st.

LLT
08-20-2010, 10:41 AM
So, unless Bailey makes some sportscenter highlights pretty soon... he'll be out of the picture 1st.

I would say thats correct. He has had enough time here for us to assess that he ISNT going to be any more than a ST player with no ability to legitimately play LB.

SteelMember
08-20-2010, 11:00 AM
I would say thats correct. He has had enough time here for us to assess that he ISNT going to be any more than a ST player with no ability to legitimately play LB.

Agreed. I knew that going in, but I just wanted to get his name in the thread.

The silence was deafening... but understood.

I do, however, have admiration for guys that throw their bodies around without hesitation playing special teams. They know that's probably the only way they'll ever see an NFL roster. I hear the checks aren't too bad either.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I do, however, have admiration for guys that throw their bodies around without hesitation playing special teams. They know that's probably the only way they'll ever see an NFL roster. I hear the checks aren't too bad either.

I agree with that. There is something to be said for guys like Baily, Madison and Chidi Iwuoma who lack stellar physical tools but make up for it with hustle and a hard nosed attitude.

Texasteel
08-22-2010, 03:15 PM
I kept loosing the game, satellite trouble, but what I saw of Sylvester on ST very well could spell the end of Bailey's time here.

Steely McSmash
08-22-2010, 06:39 PM
To assume that they're going to carry the same # of guys as last year is somewhat asinine. Last year they carried 7 DL And 6 CB. But three of those guys were rookies who were not gameday ready on day 1. This year they have 3 rookies at LB so it's reasonable to assume that they'll bump up the roster numbers there.

Also consider the geriatric condition of Farrior and Harrison, as well Woodley and Fox are entering contract year next year.

If Andre Frazier had not gone IR, then there might be a real quandry with Frazier as the only experienced backup at OLB. I just don't see it here though unless they bring is a vet cut from elsewhere to be a backup. I wouldn't be surprised.

IF they go 8 it has to be Fox or Sylvester as the odd man out as an inside guy. Bailey as mentioned has no chance.