PDA

View Full Version : Potential Roster Moves

one side only
09-22-2014, 09:14 AM
With Ike going to IR, the Steelers will have a spot open on the 53 - man roster. If J. Jones and / or Shazier will miss significant time with their injuries (let's hope neither one is serious enough to put them on IR) then I would think the Steelers would add a linebacker rather than a corner to the active roster.

That being said, they could promote Howard Jones. Or they could recycle a recently cut guy (Kion Wilson, Vic So'oto). They could sign a veteran free agent, but the pickings are slim (Dan Connor?). They could poach another team's practice squad (Shayne Skov perhaps, or John Simon of the Ravens, Max Bullough of the Texans?)

If the linebacker injuries aren't serious, and they aren't satisfied with Antwon Blake, they could promote Shaquille Richardson. Free agents are few (Dunta Robinson; no, thank you) but Curtis Brown is out there.

Edit: Just read that Jarvis Jones needs surgery, so there might be two roster openings.

tube517
09-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Per Dale Lolley's twitter: Jones is out indefinitely. Shazier has a sprained MCL. Taylor may be put on the IR -return later in the season list.

I'd imagine HoJo and So'oto may get calls.

steelreserve
09-22-2014, 10:20 AM
I wasn't impressed with Blake, but I wasn't impressed with Shaquille Green either.

I know! They could sign Isaiah Green, be disappointed with him, and then release him next week!

As far as linebackers, I've see enough of Kion Wilson. I'd rather they activate Joey Porter. Jones or So'oto would be preferable. But I hope they don't have to, because that means one of either Shazier or J. Jones is done for the year, and both were playing well.

Hearing an MCL sprain for Shazier - ugh. Sounds like the kind of lingering thing that means he'll try to come back in about a month but won't be right until next season.

I'm glad we have a stretch of low-quality opponents coming up; we need that in order to have a fighting chance.

Moose
09-22-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm glad we have a stretch of low-quality opponents coming up; we need that in order to have a fighting chance.

Trouble is we play DOWN to these bottom feeder's and end up LOSING ! Low quality ( or bottom feeder's) scare the hell out of me.

katmandu
09-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Per Dale Lolley's twitter: Taylor may be put on the IR -return later in the season list.
Personally, I don't see Ike making it back in 6-8 weeks like others have speculated. I think we "may" have seen Ike play his final game.

I sure hope he proves me wrong! We need Ike back!

86WARD
09-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Jabari Greer, Terrelle Thonas, Asante Samuel...they are all out there...none of which excites me, but they are experienced bodies.

steelreserve
09-22-2014, 12:37 PM
8 weeks is more than enough for a broken arm to heal, provided it's not one of those difficult injuries where they need to put plates and screws in. It's not like a leg or an ankle, where you're putting your full weight on it with every step, and if it's even a little less than 100% you're screwed. I'm remaining hopeful for him. If either of our remaining CBs misses time, I don't even want to think about what will happen.

At LB we may be OK in the short term with Spence and Moats, and Williams as the primary backup. I would hate to see a roster move there, because that means either Shazier or Jones is done for the season, and they were both doing well. Maybe what will happen is we put Ike on the short-term IR and use that spot to promote a linebacker temporarily. We've got 6 CBs on the roster, so it's not like we're short of bodies even with Taylor's injury. At LB, I would feel better if we had one extra guy to replace depth, since we're down two guys for the time being.

pepsyman1
09-22-2014, 01:31 PM
I can feel a James Harrison appearance coming

Dwinsgames
09-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Personally, I don't see Ike making it back in 6-8 weeks like others have speculated. I think we "may" have seen Ike play his final game.

I think you are correct ... a broken arm is not always a 6-8 week thing , that arm snapped and normally that takes way longer to get right

- - - Updated - - -

Jabari Greer, Terrelle Thonas, Asante Samuel...they are all out there...none of which excites me, but they are experienced bodies.

Samuel probably being my choice of those because he can be a turnover machine , that being said he gets beat deep more than his fair share and cost you as many times ( or more ) than his gambling helps you

- - - Updated - - -

I can feel a James Harrison appearance coming

I would not be shocked , IF.... Jarvis Jones injury is season ending or close

Steelerette
09-22-2014, 03:02 PM
If Jarvis needs to go on the IR.. I'd be in favor of bringing Harrison back. I'd also be in favor of calling up Howard Jones, and getting younger players out there playing defense whether we wanted to or not. The only way we can really go wrong is by signing some podunk journeyman retread. Which is what we might need to do at CB, but for LB there's no reason.

86WARD
09-22-2014, 03:06 PM
I think you are correct ... a broken arm is not always a 6-8 week thing , that arm snapped and normally that takes way longer to get right

- - - Updated - - -

Samuel probably being my choice of those because he can be a turnover machine , that being said he gets beat deep more than his fair share and cost you as many times ( or more ) than his gambling helps you

- - - Updated - - -

Agree. Not sold on any of the three. All are up there in age but they are experienced bodies and I'd go with Samuel over the other two.

Steelerette
09-22-2014, 03:20 PM

Quentin Jammer, Dunta Robinson.

Though I'd have to think we're more likely to see Curtis Brown return.

Craic
09-22-2014, 03:20 PM
What struck me is that we lost three starters, two of them linebackers, and our defense continued on almost flawlessly. Talk about having quality backups this year. (Well, they're not backups anymore, but you get the idea).

Psycho Ward 86
09-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Jabrari Greer is retired because of that ACL tear from late last season.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

what makes you say that? i must have missed something on the replay, i was too excited about the forced fumble jarvis caused on that play

Dwinsgames
09-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Jabrari Greer is retired because of that ACL tear from late last season.

- - - Updated - - -

what makes you say that? i must have missed something on the replay, i was too excited about the forced fumble jarvis caused on that play

oh I have no clue on Jarvis ... that quote was from the " I smell a James Harrison signing " ... I think we may go after James IF Jones is unable to return in a timely manner ( rumor is he will need surgery ) but I only heard that in passing no clue if it is accurate or not and have not been home most of the day to check things out

tube517
09-22-2014, 04:28 PM
oh I have no clue on Jarvis ... that quote was from the " I smell a James Harrison signing " ... I think we may go after James IF Jones is unable to return in a timely manner ( rumor is he will need surgery ) but I only heard that in passing no clue if it is accurate or not and have not been home most of the day to check things out

Per Rapashit: Jarvis was placed on IR/Designated to Return list. There is another thread that was just posted

HollywoodSteel
09-22-2014, 04:50 PM
What struck me is that we lost three starters, two of them linebackers, and our defense continued on almost flawlessly. Talk about having quality backups this year. (Well, they're not backups anymore, but you get the idea).

That is a very optimistic way to look at it. I tried to be that optimistic but failed. I guess one way to look at it that's both optimistic and pessimistic at the same time is there isn't very much room to fall from where we were this year with those guys as far as pressure, run stopping ability, and Ike's covering ability. Gay is really not that big a drop off I guess, but we have nobody who can play nickel. Is Shamarko still hurt? (I realize he isn't a corner, but we did use him sometimes in nickel.

I really hate the Shazier loss for any amount of time. He's the guy who needs all the experience he can get, plus he can make a game changing play at any second. J. Jones obviously needs all the experience he can get as well, but it's hard to see Moats really getting any less pressure on the QB.

I'm all for bringing Harrison out of retirement… if he can still play. Maybe that's a big if.

Dwinsgames
09-22-2014, 04:55 PM
That is a very optimistic way to look at it. I tried to be that optimistic but failed. I guess one way to look at it that's both optimistic and pessimistic at the same time is there isn't very much room to fall from where we were this year with those guys as far as pressure, run stopping ability, and Ike's covering ability. Gay is really not that big a drop off I guess, but we have nobody who can play nickel. Is Shamarko still hurt? (I realize he isn't a corner, but we did use him sometimes in nickel.

I really hate the Shazier loss for any amount of time. He's the guy who needs all the experience he can get, plus he can make a game changing play at any second. J. Jones obviously needs all the experience he can get as well, but it's hard to see Moats really getting any less pressure on the QB.

I'm all for bringing Harrison out of retirement… if he can still play. Maybe that's a big if.

Shamarko is " healthy " at least was enough to play he was involved in the ST turnover / TD we got last night , he caused it and Golden recovered it ...

Jones was getting pressure last night was held a ton too and caused the fumble on the play he was hurt , on the Heyward sack had Cam H not got Newton ( that sounds strange ) Jones was going to BELT Newton from the backside in another step and a half ...

I am totally comfortable with Moats though

Godfather
09-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Another move: "Suicide Is Painless" will be the new theme song.

Steelerette
09-23-2014, 01:54 PM
So about that roster...

With Harrison back the LB question is answered, so I guess we'll not be seeing HoJo, So'oto, or whatever. Okay, fair enough.

Seems we still need to do something about CB depth though. Think we'll see a move this week? They've decided for now to not put Ike on the season ending IR, so that leaves us a little bit thin. As much as I appreciate the career Ike had here, I hope they change their mind so we can have some depth to finish off the season.

Whether they do or don't I guess we're looking at Gay and Allen starting, with maybe some looks at Blake and Shamarko. Who else is there - Webb, and that's it? One more injury, even if it's just a stinger where a guy needs to rest a few plays, and we're pretty much done. I'd prefer to make the IR call and bring someone in.

If we do?

Asante Samuel, Quentin Jammer, Dunta Robinson, and a few others, are all out there.

We could pull up Shaq from the practice squad.

We could bring back Curtis Brown.

We could have LeBeau suit up. I hear he was an interception machine in his day.

Mojouw
09-23-2014, 02:27 PM
So about that roster...

With Harrison back the LB question is answered, so I guess we'll not be seeing HoJo, So'oto, or whatever. Okay, fair enough.

Seems we still need to do something about CB depth though. Think we'll see a move this week? They've decided for now to not put Ike on the season ending IR, so that leaves us a little bit thin. As much as I appreciate the career Ike had here, I hope they change their mind so we can have some depth to finish off the season.

Whether they do or don't I guess we're looking at Gay and Allen starting, with maybe some looks at Blake and Shamarko. Who else is there - Webb, and that's it? One more injury, even if it's just a stinger where a guy needs to rest a few plays, and we're pretty much done. I'd prefer to make the IR call and bring someone in.

If we do?

Asante Samuel, Quentin Jammer, Dunta Robinson, and a few others, are all out there.

We could pull up Shaq from the practice squad.

We could bring back Curtis Brown.

We could have LeBeau suit up. I hear he was an interception machine in his day.

What about Aaron Berry? As recently as 2011 (I think) he played okay before being a dipshit and getting injured caught up with him. Pretty young and once thought to not suck...

Dwinsgames
09-23-2014, 03:13 PM
What about Aaron Berry? As recently as 2011 (I think) he played okay before being a dipshit and getting injured caught up with him. Pretty young and once thought to not suck...

he had some legal problems , DUI and then the real bone headed move of pointing a loaded gun at 3 people in a Harrisburg Parking lot ... if that isnt enough to get a 5'9 DB the cold shoulder not sure what else will

steelreserve
09-23-2014, 03:31 PM

I don't think they'll do anything at CB. Besides Ike, there are 5 other CBs on the roster. Most of them suck, but unless we plan on unveiling the new-look scheme with 9 defensive backs, we don't need more people there just to have another body.

Now, if we're not confident that our #3-4-5 CBs are good enough to cover a receiver for more than 0.00000005 seconds - and personally, I'm not - then that's a different problems entirely. But unless we're picking up someone significantly better than those guys, what's the point? Ending Ike's season so we can keep churning through guys like Curtis Brown or Isaiah Green at the end of the bench is useless.

And by the same token, if our bench scrubs aren't good enough to trust in a game, then then have no real value to us ... so if we manage to sign a Samuel/Robinson/Jammer type who might still be halfway competent, better to have him replace one of the bench scrubs. I just don't see what it helps to close the door on Ike.

Mojouw
09-23-2014, 04:22 PM
he had some legal problems , DUI and then the real bone headed move of pointing a loaded gun at 3 people in a Harrisburg Parking lot ... if that isnt enough to get a 5'9 DB the cold shoulder not sure what else will

Didn't realize it was gun stuff. Thought it was just a DUI.