PDA

View Full Version : A Few Things Coming Together

Craic
09-21-2014, 11:21 PM
The more I think about this game, the more I'm not surprised by how we played. Why? Well, in hindsight, there's been a few things coming together:

Run Defense: I know, I know, it sucks, right? Well, maybe. But also note that there were large sweeps of the game last week where the run defense shut down the Ravens's run game. This game, the run defense played beautifully, limiting the Panthers to 42 yards TOTAL running.

Turnovers: at first, they may look more like Panther's errors, but I noticed something in the last two games that was different than the last couple of years. The Steelers defense was swarming to the football. It wasn't consistent, but it was more than before. That pressure and constantly looking to be around the ball paid off this game.

Offensive Line: they've been inconsistent and I wasn't happy with them last week, but they didn't look horrible. A couple weeks spots, yeah. But not horrible. Cody Wallace really did firm up the interior. If we can either fix Marcus Gilbert's bad football, or replace him, I think we'll have seen the line take a nice step forward.

Running: Bell and Blount are beginning to take a hit, er . . . I mean they're beginning to hit their stride, learning how the O line is blocking, waiting, exploding into the holes, driving the pile, etc. Again, I've seen shades of it here and there, but tonight it came together.

Don't know if we can continue this through the rest of the season, but 2-1 heading into our fourth game is a nice place to be.

fansince'76
09-21-2014, 11:28 PM
I don't think Peezy will be chest bumping with Heyward again anytime too soon...

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/1377668/porter.0.gif

:chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
09-21-2014, 11:31 PM
lol pezzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyy i agree the oline playing better and so is the Dline

NCSteeler
09-22-2014, 03:46 AM
Let's not get too high on stopping the running game of a team that was pulling scrubs off the practice squad to fill the roster. But it was a well played game overall

zulater
09-22-2014, 05:18 AM
We still have to see what this team does against a better pure passer than Newton before we go thinking "we're getting there" defensively. Not just Cam either, not the best set of receivers out there last night in the white and powder blue.

A step in the right direction no doubt. The extra 3 days coming off a Thursday game helped no doubt. But this team still has a lot of growing to do.

86WARD
09-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Not the best but Benjamin is special. Kid is looking like he's going to be a monster good receiver for years to come.

polamalubeast
09-22-2014, 06:24 AM
For the run defense.....The panthers had only 10 carries in this game...