PDA

View Full Version : WR Brown gets special attention

Galax Steeler
08-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Rookie receiver Antonio Brown made his presence felt in the first preseason game Saturday against Detroit when he caught three passes for 84 yards, including a 68-yard touchdown pass from Dennis Dixon in the fourth quarter. When the Steelers travel to play the New York Giants in the second preseason contest Saturday, Brown is hoping to open the coaches' eyes with another aspect of his game

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10231/1081082-66.stm#ixzz0x2Qqn1J2

Galax Steeler
08-19-2010, 03:36 AM
Sorry Tony didn't know you already had it posted. You had it under parking lot Larry.

HometownGal
08-19-2010, 06:42 AM
It's OK, Galax - we'll leave it up because Tony's thread is accentuated on Ryan Clark and yours on Antonio Brown. :drink:

I'm really quite anxious to see how Brown fares on kickoffs. From what I saw of him last Saturday night at the receiver position, I think we're in for a real treat! :thumbsup:

Texasteel
08-19-2010, 06:50 AM
It's OK, Galax - we'll leave it up because Tony's thread is accentuated on Ryan Clark and yours on Antonio Brown. :drink:

I'm really quite anxious to see how Brown fares on kickoffs. From what I saw of him last Saturday night at the receiver position, I think we're in for a real treat! :thumbsup:

If he does what I think he might, this could spell the end for Logan. I would hate to see Logan go, but he could be caught up in a numbers crunch.

tony hipchest
08-19-2010, 09:07 AM
I took in my last training camp practice of 2010 at Saint Vincent this afternoon. So after practice i settled into a chair sitting ringside on the field because i like to check out who's doing something extra. Who wants it bad enough to put in a little non-paid overtime work after Coach Mike dismisses them from practice.

I know the usual suspects. Hines Ward, James Harrison, Chris Hoke...yada, yada, yada. You expect it from these dudes, that's why their pro's. You can be sure the second year guys who are making the jump like Ziggy Hood is going through his hand fighting techniques with Brentson Buckner. And there's Keenan Lewis working on his backpedal.

But who among the rooks catches my eye? It happened that I took up a seat by the Jugs Gun, a device ripped off from baseball used for batting practice. An assistant loads the "Gun" with a football and the wide receiver stands 8-10 yards in front of it. Blip! and a mini-howitzer is fired at the WR.

Antonio Brown was first in line. He caught 50 balls before he took a break. Facing the gun, sideways to the gun, three-quarters to the gun. Simulating running in place by moving his arms, then with his hands held behind his back as if a defender was holding an arm and he had to quickly raise his hands to snag the bullet. After a turn by Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio was back at it, this time picking the ball out of the air one-handed. All done from the left side, then the right.

And here's what's important. Every time he caught a ball, he quickly tucked the ball into his side and held the ball correctly. Only after he had secured the ball did he throw it back. All the other young guys "slurred" the tuck into the side and threw the ball back in one continuous motion without properly securing the ball.
What have you been hearing from Tunch up in the booth? How about on our radio show? "Antonio Brown has a quick catch and tuck." Now we know why. Good fundamentals are never an accident.
I think we just might have a player here.

for anyone who isnt following craig wolfleys blog it is a treasure trove of information. wish i had access to him on the radio.

http://www.craigwolfley.com/blog/2010/08/antonio-brown-and-the-jugs-gun--steelers-training-camp-blog-2010-

or follow them on twitter/facebook-

https://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production/profile_images/568107455/TunchAndWolf-Steelers_normal.png (https://twitter.com/TunchandWolf) TunchandWolf (https://twitter.com/TunchandWolf)

But who among the rooks catches my eye? It happened that I took up a seat by the Jugs Gun, a device ripped off... http://fb.me/FQB2Kn0r (http://fb.me/FQB2Kn0r) 4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/TunchandWolf/status/21578962452) via Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/twitter)

tony hipchest
08-19-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/08/antonio-brown-holds-two-roster-spots-in-his-hands/

What can Brown do for you? Perhaps the better question is, what can Brown do to Stefan Logan and Arnaz Battle? If the Steelers rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown continues to make a strong showing during training camp and in preseason games, he could force the Steelers into some interesting roster decisions on the final cut down day.

Back to Brown now. I caution everyone to temper their enthusiasm of him after just one preseason game. It is just that, one game. He has a long journey ahead of him to still make the 53 man roster, but is definitely sticking out thus far. It is not out of the question that the Steelers take him off of display after the Giants game as well. Although unlikely, they may have visions of sneaking him to the practice squad for some more seasoning

The Steelers could keep both Brown and Battle for a total of six receivers and just carry three true running backs to start the season if they choose. If this were to happen Logan would likely be good as gone and Battle would be the first on the cutting block should a roster spot be needed going forward. All of this though still depends on Brown, who will have his hands full on Saturday night of not only passes and kicks, but roster spots as well.

logan made the team last year with a preseason td vs carolina. looks like he may not get much of a chance to make the team again until the final preseason game, this year. a few good returns from brown and he is probably as good as gone.

cold-hard-steel
08-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Seems like he has tons of upside to him. I want to see some more.I realize everything is up in the air as of now,and nothing is chiseled in stone.He has a shot like everyone else to make this squad,he just has to bring it when it counts. To me,he is doing all the right things.I wish the dude all the best.Logan is deffinately being pushed hard.That could bring even more out of his efforts.

SteelMember
08-19-2010, 10:59 AM
The door for Logan still has a small crack, but if Antonio shows any bit of success, it might be slammed shut. I don't think he'll have much of a shot going into the final pre-season game if Brown shows any glimmer. He's already proved he has better catching skills. If he returns well too... Logan will be out. Unless of coures Battle just looks terrible, but I can't say I see that happening.

I believe vrabinec? stated that Brown just didn't have it reguarding his returns early in traing camp. We will see if that stands up, or Logan has to catch a bus out of town.

I guess having all this talent is a good thing, but I hate to see talented players cut just because of numbers... Can't we get those NFL Europe roster exemptions back? :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Lol Redman? Limited in practice because of shin splints? Those only suck in track and field, suck it up champ, you're running on grass!

xX-TSK-Xx
08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Lol Redman? Limited in practice because of shin splints? Those only suck in track and field, suck it up champ, you're running on grass!

I've had them before and they hurt pretty bad on any surface.

Psycho Ward 86
08-19-2010, 03:27 PM

They don't hurt in football. If they do, it's the athletes fault for not taking care of them. I'm a tri-sport athlete and i have them in all of my sports. In football it doesnt matter.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-19-2010, 03:31 PM
They don't hurt in football. If they do, it's the athletes fault for not taking care of them. I'm a tri-sport athlete and i have them in all of my sports. In football it doesnt matter.

Are you serious? How can you say they don't hurt in football. If you have them and your running they are going to hurt. Maybe to a lesser extent on a soft surface like grass but they are still bothersome.

Psycho Ward 86
08-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Are you serious? How can you say they don't hurt in football. If you have them and your running they are going to hurt. Maybe to a lesser extent on a soft surface like grass but they are still bothersome.

The highest extent of the pain is when you initially push off your feet. There's more important and (sometimes painful) matters in football than a little shin splint that's bothersome. Splints are caused by:
1) Not running on the balls of your feet (in football, you inevitably cant do that all the time so yeah you gotta live with it)

2) Lack of calf and tibialis anterior muscle flexibility/strength

3) Bad footwear

4) Bad foot arches

Redman has control over almost all of those, he should be practicing right now 100%. In track is where splints are a real bitch.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
The highest extent of the pain is when you initially push off your feet. There's more important and (sometimes painful) matters in football than a little shin splint that's bothersome. Splints are caused by:
1) Not running on the balls of your feet (in football, you inevitably cant do that all the time so yeah you gotta live with it)

2) Lack of calf and tibialis anterior muscle flexibility/strength

3) Bad footwear

4) Bad foot arches

Redman has control over almost all of those, he should be practicing right now 100%. In track is where splints are a real bitch.

I'm sure he isn't in a great deal of pain. Most likely his shins began to hurt and they kept him out as a precaution.

Plus, shin splints is a pretty generic term that people use to descibe pain in the shins. If he has flat feet and doesn't wear insoles or has possibly been wearing the same cleats all camp that will cause him to have painfull shins. I choose to believe that someone who is fighting for a roster spot isnt going to make up an injury and a proffesional training staff is going to have the ability to diagnose shin splints. Even if you say you can't get them in football.

Psycho Ward 86
08-19-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm sure he isn't in a great deal of pain. Most likely his shins began to hurt and they kept him out as a precaution.

Plus, shin splints is a pretty generic term that people use to descibe pain in the shins. If he has flat feet and doesn't wear insoles or has possibly been wearing the same cleats all camp that will cause him to have painfull shins. I choose to believe that someone who is fighting for a roster spot isnt going to make up an injury and a proffesional training staff is going to have the ability to diagnose shin splints. Even if you say you can't get them in football.

Well of course you can get them in football, I'm just saying shin splints are the bottom of the laundry list of possible injuries that could keep you out of a game or practice.

SteelerFanInStl
08-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I can't wait to see what he can do on special teams. Nothing against Logan but that's one less roster spot filled by a one dimensional player.

tony hipchest
08-21-2010, 02:36 AM
shin splints and redman aside...

in a recent sit down with ed bouchette, hines ward said while brown looked good on tape, there were still plenty of mistakes that need to be corrected, primarilly running incorrect routes and not running the routes at proper depth.

i think hines is really pushing the youngsters and using a bit of mental warfare. in the PG article he admits still missing plex and tone. in camp he has sung the praises of battle and el (as if they are automatically ahead of the rookies on the depth chart).

i think this brand of "tuff love" will work to motivate and teach the likes of sanders and brown, and learn them to cut their teeth on special teams just like ward did. (ward had only 15 receptions as a rookie)

Chidi29
08-21-2010, 02:41 AM
Agree with Tony. It sounds like Brown is a really cocky kid. He signaled first down when he didn't pick it up, and took off his helmet after he scored his touchdown (should have been a penalty, no?). That seems to be why Tomlin only responded with a quick "Nice start" when asked about Brown in the post game press conference.

Arrogance and inexperience is a lethal combination. And not lethal to other teams, midn you.

tony hipchest
08-21-2010, 03:25 AM
after studying game tape of the giants for this weeks game, i think everyone would agree he is no victor cruz 1 preseason game in to this point of their careers.

im looking for manny sanders to shine this week as a receiver (and hoping brown kicks ass with a return or 2).

MasterOfPuppets
08-21-2010, 03:53 AM
after studying game tape of the giants for this weeks game, i think everyone would agree he is no victor cruz 1 preseason game in to this point of their careers.

im looking for manny sanders to shine this week as a receiver (and hoping brown kicks ass with a return or 2).

interesting note on cruz...

Cruz went undrafted despite several NFL personnel visiting UMass to scout teammate Vladimir Ducasse, the offensive lineman taken in the second round by the Jets.
Only the New York Giants offered Cruz an invitation to their rookie camp.

When Ryan shook hands with Coughlin at the end of the game, he said, "I don't know who No. 3 is, but holy [bleep]!"
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5480189

Galax Steeler
08-21-2010, 04:04 AM
Brown has the speed and looked good in his first pre season game but like many others said one game is not going to make him a receiver in the NFL. I still want to see what Sanders has and hopefully we will have two good receivers in the making.

O'Malley
08-21-2010, 03:41 PM

I agree. Shin splints are nothing to laugh at.

tony hipchest
08-22-2010, 01:24 PM
im reading many who thing brown was soft and fell down to easy.

i really only noticed him just getting tackled, which isnt too big of a concern.

he did seem to outrun his 3 blockers. maybe he just saw enough of last years blocking unit. logan seemed to have a bit more patience in letting them set up, and of course he jigged and juked a bit. brown was a straight line runner.

i would guess he was soley focused on just catching the ball, and getting as far upfield as he can (and if he broke one up the middle it was gravy).

important to note he is fighting for a job just like logan is and even the slightest mistake could cost him. he doesnt have the 1 year experience, and probably doesnt want to risk a fumble fighting for an extra yard or 2.

he definitely looks faster than his 4.42 speed would indicate.

manny's up next.

86WARD
08-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Looked decent last night returning kicks.

hotrodder07
08-22-2010, 05:21 PM
He looked good to me. Logan may still be the better return man, but Brown is certainly capable of securing the ball, and getting up field fast. I think Logan is as good as gone.

steeldawg
08-22-2010, 06:10 PM
I like brown hes got some shake n bake and a nice burst

steelpride12
08-22-2010, 06:38 PM
You can't blame or assume Brown is going to be soft after only a few runs. I mean he was legit tackled on those plays, but the fact he was bursting through the holes and looking impressing is a plus and I like what I saw.

SMR
08-22-2010, 08:15 PM
I like brown hes got some shake n bake and a nice burst

Yeah, he does have quite a "burst-ability" about him.