PDA

View Full Version : Week 3 vs. Carolina. Game balls and goats.

zulater
09-21-2014, 10:43 PM
LeVeon Bell on offense. His 80 yard run sealed it.

Defense Cam Heyward.

Goat. Cortez Allen

polamalubeast
09-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Blount and Bell

Count Steeler
09-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Bell, Blount, Brown and Ben. The OL and DL won their battles most of the night. Makes a huge difference.

Steelman
09-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Games: Bell & Cam.

Goats: Cortez. Haleyball.

dislocatedday
09-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Offense: Offensive Line

Defense: Cam Heyward and Lawrence Timmons

Goat: Cortez Allen (..how could it be anybody else?..)

Milk Carton MIA - Mike Mitchell

stillers4me
09-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Le BackField and Le Steelers Fans!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByG4lQUCcAEFWBw.jpg

Count Steeler
09-21-2014, 10:58 PM
So what do we say about the coaches today? Haley is very lucky he has Ben.

tube517
09-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Game Ball: Doobie Bros, O-Line, Ben, AB, and Brad Wing

Goats: Cortez Taylor

Craic
09-21-2014, 11:02 PM
The o-line in general, but Cody Wallace in particular. The interior of that line looked more solid tonight than they have in years. And I mean YEARS. To the point, that I'd be willing to keep Wallace in a few weeks and see if they continue to get stronger with him.

Interestingly, my goat also comes from the O line. Marcus Gilbert, exit stage left, and remember to pick up your jockstrap on the way, because you left it on the field a few times.

polamalubeast
09-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Mention to Antonio Brown

10 targets....10 catch!!!

Psycho Ward 86
09-21-2014, 11:14 PM
agree with you on all accounts Zu.

Honorable mention to Pouncey for neutralizing Kuechly ALL GAME.

im getting impatient with cortez allen, but its still early. he looks like he's regressed if anything. kid needs to step up big time while ike is out. that compound fracture looked awful. i assume he's returning very late in the season if at all.

who's out there on the free agent market at cornerback. anybody?

Shoes
09-21-2014, 11:21 PM
The o-line in general, but Cody Wallace in particular. The interior of that line looked more solid tonight than they have in years. And I mean YEARS. To the point, that I'd be willing to keep Wallace in a few weeks and see if they continue to get stronger with him.

Interestingly, my goat also comes from the O line. Marcus Gilbert, exit stage left, and remember to pick up your jockstrap on the way, because you left it on the field a few times.

This.

- - - Updated - - -

Timmons should get the Gilbert award for knocking out Shazier and Taylor

polamalubeast
09-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Bell > Lacy

Craic
09-21-2014, 11:26 PM
Mention to Antonio Brown

10 targets....10 catch!!!

And that was a BEAUTIFUL catch he had at the back of the endzone as well. I gotta agree. Though, the problem with Antonio Brown, is that it's hard for him to earn a game ball anymore because the expectations for him are getting to be so high—which in itself is a testament to how good he plays week in and week out.

fansince'76
09-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Timmons should get the Gilbert award for knocking out Shazier and Taylor

On a lighter note, what award does Heyward get for knocking out Peezy?

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/1377668/porter.0.gif

:chuckle:

Craic
09-21-2014, 11:34 PM

I had to pause the game I was laughing so hard when I saw that. Matter of fact, I'm laughing at it again now.

Edman
09-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Heroes: The Killer B's. Ben, Bell, Brown, and Blount. Cam Heyward was tormenting the Panthers all night.

Goats: Todd Haley, Cortez Allen. Timmons for knocking out Taylor and Shazier.

Devilsdancefloor
09-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Game ball: the trenches both sides of the ball

Goat: Mitchell it looked like troy was getting irritated a few times tonight and it was at his safety partner he will not say anything but some of the looks he gave said it all

steelreserve
09-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Game ball: Moats, Gay and Spence for coming in off the bench and barely missing a beat; really an awesome job by the backups. Also Bell and Blount for an amazing game, and the line for blocking for them and generally being MUCH improved. And Brown for being his usual bad self. Basically almost everyone on offense.

Goat: The coaching staff for whatever they were doing in the first half. It seriously looked like two different games before and after the break. Palmer for his TD drop and penalty - get the fuck off the field. Honorable mention to the officiating crew for slowing the game to a crawl with so many flags on both sides.

Dumbass of the year: Timmons for causing as many serious injuries in one night as Gilbert managed in two years. Nice hit on Taylor, dipshit.

http://www.thenerdpocalypse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Im-Gonna-Wreck-It.jpg

tube517
09-22-2014, 12:14 AM

Tomlin said Peezy is on IR. :heh:

Shoes
09-22-2014, 12:24 AM
Game ball: Moats, Gay and Spence for coming in off the bench and barely missing a beat; really an awesome job by the backups. Also Bell and Blount for an amazing game, and the line for blocking for them and generally being MUCH improved. And Brown for being his usual bad self. Basically almost everyone on offense.

Goat: The coaching staff for whatever they were doing in the first half. It seriously looked like two different games before and after the break. Palmer for his TD drop and penalty - get the fuck off the field. Honorable mention to the officiating crew for slowing the game to a crawl with so many flags on both sides.

Dumbass of the year: Timmons for causing as many serious injuries in one night as Gilbert managed in two years. Nice hit on Taylor, dipshit.

http://www.thenerdpocalypse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Im-Gonna-Wreck-It.jpg

Yep!

st33lersguy
09-22-2014, 07:54 AM
I give the game ball to the whole team

fansince'76
09-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Apologies to Brad Wing. I badmouthed him earlier in the season and preseason, but he shut me up last night.

GBMelBlount
09-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Game ball: the trenches both sides of the ball

TOTALLY agree.

It is also amazing to see what Bell is doing 20 pounds lighter and with a year under his belt.

His cuts in the middle of traffic are simply unelievable.

I am eating crow on Bell.

He was smokin' last night!

86WARD
09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Ball: Bell, Ben, Brown

Goat: Allen

polamalubeast
09-22-2014, 12:53 PM
This team needs more consistency

The Steelers scored 27 points in the first half against the browns and 28 points in the 2nd half yesterday, but between that, the Steelers had no TD during 8 quarter

ALLD
09-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Bell can smoke up half of Colombia for all I care if he runs like that every Sunday. He was a thorobred.

HollywoodSteel
09-22-2014, 05:24 PM
I know the o-line is getting all this credit for opening up some nice holes for Bell, (and I'll admit, I didn't watch most of the second half closely) but they looked awful pass protecting in the first half. I saw Ben step up in the pocket twice and get sacked both times. I didn't notice him completing any pass that took more than a second and a half of holding the ball. Maybe that's on Haley for calling a shitty first half (and he did) but it looked like Haley had no confidence that the O-line could protect Ben at all.

zulater
09-22-2014, 05:35 PM
This team needs more consistency

The Steelers scored 27 points in the first half against the browns and 28 points in the 2nd half yesterday, but between that, the Steelers had no TD during 8 quarter

As far as I'm concerned they scored a touchdown in the 2nd quarter last night. Just the refs screwed them out of it.

Craic
09-22-2014, 06:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned they scored a touchdown in the 2nd quarter last night. Just the refs screwed them out of it.

Nope, refs got it right. I just finished posting the rules from the NFL rule book in another thread where someone asked about it. I was wondering about the same thing as well, so I decided to go look it up. As it turns out, the refs made the right call according to the rules, but they blew calling a penalty against the Steelers for Illegal Touching of a Forward Pass and assessing a five yard penalty.

(Edit: link to the post http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/20818-Are-you-surprised?p=447241&viewfull=1#post447241)

Count Steeler
09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Nope, refs got it right. I just finished posting the rules from the NFL rule book in another thread where someone asked about it. I was wondering about the same thing as well, so I decided to go look it up. As it turns out, the refs made the right call according to the rules, but they blew calling a penalty against the Steelers for Illegal Touching of a Forward Pass and assessing a five yard penalty.

(Edit: link to the post http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/20818-Are-you-surprised?p=447241&viewfull=1#post447241)

Looked like Wheaton was pushed out of bounds. I'd have to see the tape again.

zulater
09-22-2014, 07:38 PM

I still haven't seen conclusive evidence that he stepped out of bounds to begin with. And if the eagle eye'd ref who called it actually saw it then how the hell did he miss the push that put him there?

If the play had been ruled right it's either a touchdown or first and goal at the one.

zulater
09-22-2014, 07:46 PM

I've watched it several times I've seen no conclusive picture that put him out of bounds for even a second. I'm not saying he didn't hit the chalk, just NBC didn't show conclusively either that he did or didn't step on the line briefly. And again if he did, and the ref from the back of the end zone saw it, then how did he miss how he got there?

Craic
09-22-2014, 08:47 PM

I'd have to see it again too as I don't remember. The thing is, he can be forced out of bounds, as long as it isn't passing interference, and the rule still applies.

- - - Updated - - -

I still haven't seen conclusive evidence that he stepped out of bounds to begin with. And if the eagle eye'd ref who called it actually saw it then how the hell did he miss the push that put him there?

If the play had been ruled right it's either a touchdown or first and goal at the one.

That's a different argument, and you're right, there wasn't an angle for us to get a good look at it either way. What I posted before was on the assumption that he did step out of bounds. As far as the push goes, again, I'd have to see it again. I don't know if he was pushed, or if it was a type of incidental contact, or if he was within the five yards of scrimmage . . . um, probably not the last since it started at the six, right? Anyway, it's one of those strange little twists on the rules. And, no matter what, the play was called wrong when it's all said and done. It should have been a touchdown, first and goal on the one, or fourth and goal from the eleven (accounting for the five yard illegal touching rule).

Craic
09-22-2014, 08:58 PM
I've watched it several times I've seen no conclusive picture that put him out of bounds for even a second. I'm not saying he didn't hit the chalk, just NBC didn't show conclusively either that he did or didn't step on the line briefly. And again if he did, and the ref from the back of the end zone saw it, then how did he miss how he got there?

HIs eyes would be on the feet, rather than up on the back. Maybe that's his responsibility? To make sure the receiver does not go out of bounds, while the ref at the front looks for the catch? I have no idea, but that'd be one way it could happen.

Count Steeler
09-22-2014, 09:47 PM
I'd have to see it again too as I don't remember. The thing is, he can be forced out of bounds, as long as it isn't passing interference, and the rule still applies.

Point being, there was contact in the end zone, maybe Wheaton did not even step out. Regardless, with the way the refs have been calling contact penalties, there should have been a flag against the Panthers.

I can already see it for Cortez. When the refs prepare for our games, they will know that Cortez has become a penalty machine. So what do you think is going to happen when he gets an interception? Flag. Illegal Contact #28 Defense. 5 Yard Penalty, automatic, first down.

Craic
09-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Point being, there was contact in the end zone, maybe Wheaton did not even step out. Regardless, with the way the refs have been calling contact penalties, there should have been a flag against the Panthers.

I can already see it for Cortez. When the refs prepare for our games, they will know that Cortez has become a penalty machine. So what do you think is going to happen when he gets an interception? Flag. Illegal Contact #28 Defense. 5 Yard Penalty, automatic, first down.

I just saw the replay and wondered why he wasn't called as well. However, I did note that the ref didn't say that he was an ineligible receiver, but rather, that he hadn't yet reestablished himself inbounds. Hmm. That means, according to the rulebook, that they recognized he was forced out, but that they also considered that it wasn't a defensive penalty.

I'm not arguing with it was or wasn't, only that the entire thing seems to hinge upon the idea that he didn't reestablish himself inbounds. I haven't looked to see what the rules say about reestablishing yourself, but I personally thought having both feet back inbounds would have done it.

zulater
09-25-2014, 06:31 PM
I just watched the replay of the disallowed touchdown for about the 50th time. I really don't think he ever went out of bounds. I stopped it down to the frame, and in my opinion the ref with the best angle to the play's call should have held. ( he ruled touchdown) The ref in the rear of the end zone should have allowed the play to go to the replay booth. In fact that's what Ben was arguing for after the ruling was made. He was asking that the play stand and as all touchdowns go to the replay booth if it's wrong they can change it then. He also said ( on his radio show on 93.7) that in the game's review of the play watching the game film there was no clear angle to support a foot had ventured out of bounds. So we wuz robbed!

Anyway getting back to the point that brought this up, even though the Steelers didn't break the plane of the goal in the second quarter I think their last 3 possessions of the half demonstrated a positive turnaround. And to me that put the previous 7 quarters behind them.

Jaucer
09-25-2014, 09:32 PM
Anyway getting back to the point that brought this up, even though the Steelers didn't break the plane of the goal in the second quarter I think their last 3 possessions of the half demonstrated a positive turnaround. And to me that put the previous 7 quarters behind them.

As I thought I read somewhere else in the post game threads, what impressed my the most was the fact that the team was flying to the ball. I forget the play and who it was, but I remember a player diving on a loose ball that was an incomplete pass but it wasn't certain at the time if was a completion or fumble. Several other times I witnessed players swarming to the ball until the play was called dead. The last several years that just didn't seem to be the case.