PDA

View Full Version : Are you surprised?

polamalubeast
09-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Are you surprised by this blowout by the steelers?

Steelman
09-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Shocked. But what a sloppy game. Can't get too high on our laurels. We didn't do ourselves any favors this game.

Steelerette
09-21-2014, 10:42 PM
I was not confident but I figured we could pull out a victory if we shored up our blocking and played a solid overall game, I was expecting to lose but would not have been shocked by a win.

I am however shocked by winning this big. Someone with a better eye for this than me - how has our OT play looked? Have they been good, or just an off night for Carolina's pass rush or something?

JayC
09-21-2014, 10:43 PM
very surpised. now, can we sign a corner? i don't want to roll with this blake guy

dislocatedday
09-21-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm surprised they controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball like they did. That is what I am most surprised and happy with tonight. Pouncey and DeCastro in particular were consistently clearing guys out tonight.

polamalubeast
09-21-2014, 10:45 PM
265 yards for the running game vs a great defense....This is shocking

Edman
09-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Very much surprised. I expected a disaster. I thought Carolina would mop the floor with the Steelers, and if they won, it would be some miracle.

Glad I was wrong though!

What I'm really surprised though, is that the Steelers racked up 240 Yard Rushing on the best Defensive fronts in the league. Nobody expected that!

fansince'76
09-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Not really. This team has been schizophrenic for years. I also wouldn't be surprised if they turned around next week and completely shit the bed against the Bucs.

I've given up trying to figure them out.

Count Steeler
09-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Not really. This team has been schizophrenic for years. I also wouldn't be surprised if they turned around next week and completely shit the bed against the Bucs.

Have to agree.

Steelerette
09-21-2014, 10:53 PM
265 yards for the running game vs a great defense....This is shocking
Yeah but if you take away their long runs...

...they still got 4.62 ypc. oops.

There were certainly people who had more faith in the Steelers than most, but I don't think anyone in the country saw this coming.

Count Steeler
09-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Yeah but if you take away their long runs...

...they still got 4.62 ypc. oops.

There were certainly people who had more faith in the Steelers than most, but I don't think anyone in the country saw this coming.

Certainly not to this extent. When was the last time Ben could sit for a series in the 4th? However, let's see what happens with Tampa. Could very easily get ugly again.

polamalubeast
09-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Certainly not to this extent. When was the last time Ben could sit for a series in the 4th? However, let's see what happens with Tampa. Could very easily get ugly again.

I want to enjoy this victory before thinking about the game against Tampa Bay!

fansince'76
09-21-2014, 10:58 PM
I DO know that I want to see the offensive playcalling turned over to Ben. I've seen enough of Haleyball.

SteelerFanInStl
09-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Yes, pleasantly surprised.

GBMelBlount
09-21-2014, 11:01 PM
It is so much easier for Ben when the running game is in order.

Perhaps the offensive line FINALLY hit their stride...

Wow.

Shoes
09-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Have to agree.

That makes three of us.

dislocatedday
09-21-2014, 11:03 PM

I have a strong feeling that this game will be a turning point for this team, and they will start playing consistent football....call me an eternal optimist.

fansince'76
09-21-2014, 11:05 PM
I have a strong feeling that this game will be a turning point for this team, and they will start playing consistent football....call me an eternal optimist.

That's what I'm hoping as well. I'm hoping this was the "statement game" I've been waiting for from this team for the last 2+ years now.

Craic
09-21-2014, 11:05 PM

Eternal Optimist.

:chuckle:

X-Terminator
09-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Interesting, because these are the types of games the Steelers would win in the past. All the chips are down, they find a way to beat a good opponent on the road.

Unfortunately, this isn't 2010, or 2012 for that matter.

Panthers win, 27-10.

Well, so much for that.

Color me stunned. Too bad I missed most of the 2nd half because I had to go to work. But thanks for the birthday gift anyway, guys.

Butch
09-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Finally!!! At Looooong last the Steelers played a complete game!!! Offense, Defense and Special teams!!! This is the game we have all been wanting to see for so long. Glad the Steelers delivered on your birthday gift X-Terminator. I will enjoy this win as it has been a long time coming.

plenewken
09-22-2014, 06:14 AM
Very surprised and I didn't watch it. I might watch their next game to make sure it wasn't an accident.

stillers4me
09-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Am I surprised that so many people are surprised.

No.

:chuckle:

steel striker
09-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Yes that was a welcome sight last night but, let's see how they back up the big win.

steelreserve
09-22-2014, 02:42 PM
I was very surprised, especially given the way they played in the first half. It was like watching two completely different games.

It was weird, though. The defense looked like absolute crap at times, but then you look up, and through three quarters they'd only given up 6 points. The offense looked just short of totally incompetent to start the game, then all of a sudden it was one big play after another.

We did catch a few breaks, too. For all the good plays we made, Carolina played like crap and shot themselves in the foot over and over. I don't think you can say that made ALL of the difference, but without it, the game may not have been quite so lopsided. So I am super happy about the outcome, but also a little wary.

86WARD
09-22-2014, 03:04 PM
Yes. Very surprised.

ALLD
09-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Nobody besides them knew they were going to show up and play four quarters. Even after they got robbed of a TD, they sucked it up in Chin fashion, it doesn't matter, and continued on to win.

Count Steeler
09-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Hell ya! Even though I picked them to win I did not expect this.

HollywoodSteel
09-22-2014, 05:32 PM
I was very surprised, especially given the way they played in the first half. It was like watching two completely different games.

It was weird, though. The defense looked like absolute crap at times, but then you look up, and through three quarters they'd only given up 6 points. The offense looked just short of totally incompetent to start the game, then all of a sudden it was one big play after another.

We did catch a few breaks, too. For all the good plays we made, Carolina played like crap and shot themselves in the foot over and over. I don't think you can say that made ALL of the difference, but without it, the game may not have been quite so lopsided. So I am super happy about the outcome, but also a little wary.

This was pretty much my impression as well. In the first half I wanted to strangle Haley and the O-line for crappy pass protection (but mostly Haley). But that TD that Ben threw - that got taken away - was a thing of beauty. Perfect throw and Wheaton was so surprised to see the ball when he turned around it was pretty impressive that he caught it.

But can someone explain that play to me? So, a defender is allowed to push a receiver out of bounds, and then when the receiver comes back in (as quickly as humanly possible) he can't make a reception? I don't get it. (not to mention the Panthers were offsides on that play and it wasn't called).

Craic
09-22-2014, 05:53 PM
But can someone explain that play to me? So, a defender is allowed to push a receiver out of bounds, and then when the receiver comes back in (as quickly as humanly possible) he can't make a reception? I don't get it. (not to mention the Panthers were offsides on that play and it wasn't called).

Rule 8, Section 1 Article 6 defines ineligible receivers in line (d) as:

An eligible receiver who has been out of bounds prior to or during a pass, even if he has re-established himself inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands.

Exception:
If an eligible receiver is forced out of bounds by a foul by a defender, including illegal contact, defensive holding, or defensive pass interference, provided he attempts to return inbounds immediately, he will become eligible to legally touch the pass (without prior touching by another eligible receiver or defender) as soon as he re-establishes himself inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands. See Article 8, Note 3.

And, to add to that, article 8 b states that it is actually a foul for illegal touching of a forward pass for him to reestablish himself inbounds and be the first player to touch a forward pass. It should have, therefore, been a five yard penalty against the Steelers.

ALLD
09-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Should have been offsides and illegal contact.

Count Steeler
09-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Looked like he was pushed out of bounds. Should have been a contact penalty on the defender.

Godfather
09-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Very. Nothing I saw in the first two games made me think the Steelers were capable of what we saw last night.