PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Paid Price For CBA Vote - So Has NFL

stillers4me
09-21-2014, 01:00 PM
OK, saving Roger Goodell wasn't the Steelers' intention, but had the other 31 teams followed their lead and voted against the CBA, which became official on July 25th, 2011, the current scrutiny upon the NFL and its commissioner likely would have been avoided.
When asked about the Ray Rice (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7897956) case following the release by TMZ of the second surveillance video, Troy Polamalu (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7827730) reminded the media why the Steelers were the lone team to vote against the CBA.

"I know one of our main contentions," said Polamalu, "was that the commissioner had sole power in being the judge and jury in these cases."
Understanding negotiation politics a little bit, I'm not surprised that in the three years the CBA has been in place, the Steelers have been on the road for all three of their Thursday night games, including two straight years against the Baltimore Ravens (http://bal.scout.com/). Last season, the Steelers became the first team since 2009 to have a road Thursday game following a road game the previous week. In each of the three years since the CBA was passed, they've had a short week going into a contest against their biggest rival. The Steelers are 0-3 in those games.
I guess you're not supposed to shake the giant bear.

To first understand why Goodell remained staunch during negotiations in maintaining judge, jury, and executioner power, one must first understand the primary goal of a corporation. I have a friend who has two business degrees. As he explained to me a long time ago, the rule in business is to increase profit margin every year. Whatever gains were made in a year, the profits should be more than what they were in the previous year.

Taking that corporate philosophy into account, it's not difficult to connect the dots to every one of the decisions Goodell and/or the NFL make. Goodell's supposed tough stance on drugs and conduct off the field, when he first became commissioner, had been done to make the NFL look better in the public eye, and therefore hopefully increase revenue.

The league's supposed concern over head injuries is why they'll penalize hard, clean hits. Yet if the league was so concerned about player safety, would they be trying to push for an 18-game season?

The head injury legislation in the game is another classic case of the league trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the public. John and Joan Q. Fan watch the game and see the big hit in the open field. Hopefully, those flags will prevent Joan from pulling her son out of little league football. Yet, what John and Joan don't see is the constant, smaller, less visible head-to-head collisions in the mass of humanity at the line of scrimmage.
Defensive end John Abraham (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=6745205) of the Arizona Cardinals (http://ari.scout.com/) recently contemplated retirement after his latest concussion. At age 36, he's already experiencing memory loss. Yet I can't remember the last time I've seen a flag thrown for too big of a collision when a running back picks up a blitzing linebacker..............

read more @ http://pit.scout.com/story/1453703-steelers-paid-price-for-cba-vote-so-has-nfl?s=68

fansince'76
09-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Steelers voted 78-6 against CBA (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/05/steelers-voted-78-6-against-cba/)

bengalsown says: Aug 5, 2011 2:36 PM

Or maybe it was their players lack of ability to comprehend it?

dcbassguy says: Aug 5, 2011 2:39 PM

The lack of information, would be caused by the lack of a brain in their team representative.

benh999 says: Aug 5, 2011 2:40 PM

How many of them can even read? My guess is six. Besides, they can’t all sign with an “X” anyway.

countsnail says: Aug 5, 2011 2:41 PM

Well maybe if they, you know, READ up on it themselves without the NFLPA’s help, they WOULD know what was in it.

The Pittsburgh Steelers: The Tea Party of the NFL. Next they’ll be asking for Roger Goodell’s birth certificate.

Who are the ignorant and uneducated ones now, dickheads? :coffee:

And in the mother of all ironies...

jacksaysfu says: Aug 5, 2011 3:08 PM

One of them yes’s better have been from Big Ben, as a thank you to Goodell for not kicking him out the league when Ben was making the league look BAD.

Funny, but I don't recall any major league sponsors raising a stink back in 2010...

Hawkman
09-21-2014, 01:17 PM
OUTSTANDING article.

ALLD
09-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Polamalu is looking at a $25k fine the next time he sniffs a marginal hit.

Edman
09-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Goodell set out to make an example of the Steelers ever since 2010, and they've been getting jobbed ever since. It's bad enough the team is struggling with it's own problems, but now they still have Roger on their backs indirectly. Super Short week going into Baltimore, four of the first six games on the road. Now they're set up for another disaster tonight in Carolina.

I just wish our guys would channel their inner bad guy and start playing loose.

It's like the WWE. Goodell picks his heroes and his villains. The Steelers and Saints are on his **** list, the Seahawks seem to be joining them, and the Ravens, Patriots, and whoever team Peyton Manning is on are his pet teams.

Dwinsgames
09-21-2014, 01:47 PM
OUTSTANDING article.

agreed

- - - Updated - - -

Polamalu is looking at a $25k fine the next time he sniffs a marginal hit.

doubtful considering he ( goof-dell ) isnt going to want to further piss off the men over seeing his investigation

X-Terminator
09-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Goodell set out to make an example of the Steelers ever since 2010, and they've been getting jobbed ever since. It's bad enough the team is struggling with it's own problems, but now they still have Roger on their backs indirectly. Super Short week going into Baltimore, four of the first six games on the road. Now they're set up for another disaster tonight in Carolina.

I just wish our guys would channel their inner bad guy and start playing loose.

It's like the WWE. Goodell picks his heroes and his villains. The Steelers and Saints on his **** list, the Seahawks seem to be joining them, and the Ravens and Patriots are his pet teams.

Yep. If the Steelers are "heels" in the eyes of Herr Goodell, they may as well play the role.

The Seahawks are on the "list" because they hit too hard, Richard Sherman's mouth and, most importantly, embarrassed and robbed their precious Peyton Manning (who should be added to the "golden boys" list) of his 2nd SB title. I'm surprised they weren't kicked out of the league for that. So, Shehawk fans, welcome to the club!

Butch
09-21-2014, 03:02 PM
"I know one of our main contentions," said Polamalu, "was that the commissioner had sole power in being the judge and jury in these cases."
Understanding negotiation politics a little bit, I'm not surprised that in the three years the CBA has been in place, the Steelers have been on the road for all three of their Thursday night games, including two straight years against the Baltimore Ravens (http://bal.scout.com/). Last season, the Steelers became the first team since 2009 to have a road Thursday game following a road game the previous week. In each of the three years since the CBA was passed, they've had a short week going into a contest against their biggest rival. The Steelers are 0-3 in those games.
I guess you're not supposed to shake the giant bear.

Careful Troy words like that will get you called a conspiracy theorist, just ask a few people on this very site. Everybody knows there is no way Rog would want to slant the field against the Steelers, it's just a coincidence. Troy is nothing but a whiney Seahawks fan.

Steelerette
09-21-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't mind playing the heel and even have bad-boy or so-called "dirty players". I mean Hines was always called Dirty, but was he really? He was just very good at what he did. I don't want felons or people who get into domestic abuse situations outside of the game. But on the field? Fine, let's be the heel. Bring it on. You can have your golden boys, we'll be the team that will punch-you-in-the-god-damned-dick.

No quarterback feared Lambert or Lloyd, because of their fantasy stats.

Hawkman
09-21-2014, 05:59 PM
I

No quarterback feared Lambert or Lloyd, because of their fantasy stats.

WELL SAID!!