PDA

View Full Version : No fines for Steelers' Mitchell and Polamalu

stillers4me
09-18-2014, 04:58 PM
This is one time safety Mike Mitchell did not get fined for a big hit on the playing field, but he still vows to do something about it to ward off future fines.

Add Mitchell to the list of NFL defenders who say they will change their approach to tackling because of the penalties and fines associated with high hits, even when they are legal.

Mitchell, who was fined $40,000 for various infractions last season in Carolina, says he will now shoot for his opponent’s knees when making a tackle. Even though that would seem to carry a bigger risk of career-ending injury to the player with the ball, it is not illegal. Hits to the head are.
“It’s going to make me start hitting everyone in the knees, to be totally honest with you,’’ Mitchell said, after he was penalized for hitting receiver Steve Smith high in the Steelers’ 26-6 loss at Baltimore.

“It’s not a thing where I am trying to play dirty, but I was legitimately aiming for Steve’s waist and he ducked. If you look at the replay, I still truly, strongly believe it was a shoulder to shoulder hit. I think the violence of the hit may be why the flag was thrown.”............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/09/18/No-fines-for-Steelers-Mitchell-and-Polamalu/stories/201409180294

BigNastyDefense
09-18-2014, 05:36 PM
This league has become such a pansy ass league. I'm not saying Mitchell has become one, I understand where he's coming from. He wants to keep his money and not cause penalties for the team.

The hit WAS shoulder to shoulder. The fact that a flag was thrown because it was a bone crushing hit is absolute bullshit.

I am waiting for the league to announce that they're going to two hand touch.

vader29
09-18-2014, 05:52 PM
“It’s going to make me start hitting everyone in the knees, to be totally honest with you,’’ Mitchell said, after he was penalized for hitting receiver Steve Smith high in the Steelers’ 26-6 loss at Baltimore.
http://i61.tinypic.com/2nv84eo.jpg

BigNastyDefense
09-18-2014, 06:07 PM

Yep. First time he takes a guy out by the knees and that guy is announced out for any length of time than a few plays, he's gonna get fined for some type of bullshit.

fansince'76
09-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Goodell has much bigger things to worry about at the moment. Particularly, his continued employment with the league. Notice how he's been basically invisible for the last week?

Shoes
09-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Goodell has much bigger things to worry about at the moment. Particularly, his continued employment with the league. Notice how he's been basically invisible for the last week?

Yes a guy who fines players for having the wrong *game day socks* on , but didn't see the Ray Rice video.

vader29
09-18-2014, 08:27 PM

http://i58.tinypic.com/23mn05t.png

:chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
09-18-2014, 11:48 PM
both hits where legal, so was upshaws hit on Ben what doesnt help things is Phil Effing simms going off about of that was a helmet to helmet hit and he sees it in slow mo like everyone at home. Then that gets the guys at half or after the game spouting about it

NCSteeler
09-19-2014, 09:13 AM
both hits where legal, so was upshaws hit on Ben what doesnt help things is Phil Effing simms going off about of that was a helmet to helmet hit and he sees it in slow mo like everyone at home. Then that gets the guys at half or after the game spouting about it

The announcers are really doing a disservice to the players and fans when they don't call it how it really is. Call it a head shot and when they show the slo mo call it right. Average fans think the announcers are experts and everything they say is god given truth, similar to the MSM.

steelreserve
09-19-2014, 10:34 AM
I was going to come in and say something about the announcers' reaction, but glad to see I'm not the only one who's irritated by that. Having those boneheads shouting "Good penalty! That's a good call by the official!" every time someone gets hit hard just reinforces it to all the people who don't know any better, and they lemming right along.

Like ... no, dude. That was a hit in the shoulder and it just LOOKED bad because the guy got laid out. Or it was a hit in the chest and whatever twist or turn at the last millisecond made them bonk heads. Don't cheerlead the penalties that are making your own game unwatchable.

Dwinsgames
09-19-2014, 12:56 PM
haha Goodell will not institute fines vs the Giants or our beloved Steelers unless extremely clear intent was there because of whom is handling the investigation against him , he will not want to add any blood to the already clouded waters

SteelerFanInStl
09-19-2014, 06:24 PM
The announcers are really doing a disservice to the players and fans when they don't call it how it really is. Call it a head shot and when they show the slo mo call it right. Average fans think the announcers are experts and everything they say is god given truth, similar to the MSM.

Most of the current announcers for the NFL just plain suck.