PDA

View Full Version : Kent Tekulve has successful heart transplant

X-Terminator
09-15-2014, 09:56 PM
A failing heart forced Kent Tekulve to take a sabbatical from his job as Pirates analyst on Root Sports earlier this season.

Not quite two weeks after having a life-saving heart transplant, Tekulve said he expects to be back in the booth for spring training.

“I definitely wouldn't want to miss it, if at all possible,” Tekulve said Monday night.

On Tuesday, Tekulve and his doctors are expected to release details about his condition, which reached a crisis stage last December. He went on the heart transplant waiting list in April and had the surgery Sept. 5.

Tekulve, 67, knew last year his heart was ailing. On Christmas Eve, he had a massive heart attack.

“Basically, my heart crashed,” Tekulve said. “It was done. My first Christmas present that day was the pump.”

Wearing an external pump to aid his heart function and blood flow, Tekulve attended spring training this year in Bradenton, Fla. But as his condition worsened, he was unable to work the daily grind of broadcasting games.

Former big league manager Ken Macha, a Monroeville native, replaced Tekulve on Root's game day crew.

Early on the morning of Sept. 5, Tekulve was at home preparing for the second day of a Pirates fantasy camp at PNC Park when he got a phone call saying a donor heart had been located.

A few hours later, Tekulve had the transplant at Allegheny General Hospital. He spent a week in the hospital and is recovering at home.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/6802723-74/tekulve-heart-transplant

Count Steeler
09-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Hope all goes well, Kent. One of my idols from years gone by. The good old submarine delivery.

stillers4me
09-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Just saw this tonight on Twitter. We had Root Sports Pgh for the last couple of years until our Directv package price went up this spring. One of the last things I saw was the announcement that Teke was taking a leave of absence and that he was asking for privacy to deal with a personal matter. Very glad to hear is doing so well! :drink:

Boy, do I miss seeing the Pirates games. It sucks being poor. :(

ALLD
09-16-2014, 10:53 AM
"The Rake" got a new ticker.