PDA

View Full Version : Fair and Balanced?

JonM229
08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
News Corp.'s $1 million Republican donation: Fair and balanced? (http://theweek.com/article/index/206197/news-corps-1-million-republican-donation-fair-and-balanced)

News Corp., the parent company of Fox News and The Wall Street Journal, contributed $1 million to the Republican Governors Association this summer, the Bloomberg news service reported this week. The Democratic National Committee said the gift, which made the company controlled by Rupert Murdoch the GOP group's biggest corporate donor, rendered Fox's claim of "fair and balanced" news coverage "utterly meaningless." A News Corp. spokesman said the contribution has no impact on its reporting — it merely helps politicians who agree with the company's pro-business agenda. Is News Corp.'s GOP donation a sign of bias?

The rest of the article goes on to offer opinions from both sides.

Vincent
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
News Corp.'s $1 million Republican donation: Fair and balanced? (http://theweek.com/article/index/206197/news-corps-1-million-republican-donation-fair-and-balanced)

News Corp., the parent company of Fox News and The Wall Street Journal, contributed $1 million to the Republican Governors Association this summer, the Bloomberg news service reported this week. The Democratic National Committee said the gift, which made the company controlled by Rupert Murdoch the GOP group's biggest corporate donor, rendered Fox's claim of "fair and balanced" news coverage "utterly meaningless." A News Corp. spokesman said the contribution has no impact on its reporting — it merely helps politicians who agree with the company's pro-business agenda. Is News Corp.'s GOP donation a sign of bias?

The rest of the article goes on to offer opinions from both sides.

70% of the staff of Fox News votes dem. Their reportage leans center left. Their evening shows lean center right.

The other networks are swimming out to meet troopships ga-ga lefties. The "press" are imploding on themselves under the weight of their liberalism. They're dying because nobody buys their bull@#$%. Newsweek just sold for one Yankee dollar. :rofl2: The NYT and the Post probably couldn't fetch a dollar.

Fox is the only network that isn't completely in the tank with the left. And you people are threatened by them?

tony hipchest
08-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Fox is the only network that isn't completely in the tank with the left. And you people are threatened by them?they are the network of glenn beck and limbaughs very short lived TV show I BASH CLINTON, correct?

hell no, i welcome a network for the kookbags. :der:

plus they have had a ton of great shows in regular programming.

Vincent
08-18-2010, 11:19 PM
they are the network of glenn beck and limbaughs very short lived TV show I BASH CLINTON, correct?

hell no, i welcome a network for the kookbags. :der:

plus they have had a ton of great shows in regular programming.

Jon seems threatened by them. But then he lives in the People's Republic of Wisconsin.

And he roots for rats.

GBMelBlount
08-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Fox is the only network that isn't completely in the tank with the left. And you people are threatened by them?

Well said Vincent.

While Fox is not perfect, if there a major news source whose overall reporting is more consistent with or sympathetic towards the principles this country was founded upon...freedom & liberty and a controlled government?...I am not aware of one...

tony hipchest
08-18-2010, 11:37 PM
check your PM box.

i sent (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/member.php?141-tony-hipchest)you a link to my twitter page.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=141&dateline=1275533214 (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/member.php?141-tony-hipchest)

Mach1
08-19-2010, 01:07 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/10/26/633921720593173920-msnbc.jpg

http://firstfriday.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/obama-and-media.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2009/01/340x_iMovieScreenSnapz001.jpg

X-Terminator
08-19-2010, 01:45 AM
The difference between CNN/MSNBC and Fox is that the former don't portray themselves as being "fair and balanced." They lean left, and they don't make it a secret. Fox definitely leans right, but they try to say that they don't. Well, when you have the likes of Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter and Brit Hume with their own shows or regular spots on the network, how can anyone say they don't lean right?

Texasteel
08-19-2010, 05:49 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/10/26/633921720593173920-msnbc.jpg

http://firstfriday.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/obama-and-media.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2009/01/340x_iMovieScreenSnapz001.jpg

Where this guy is concerned I would be happy with sane.

The Patriot
08-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Well said Vincent.

While Fox is not perfect, if there a major news source whose overall reporting is more consistent with or sympathetic towards the principles this country was founded upon...freedom & liberty and a controlled government?...I am not aware of one...

LMAO! :toofunny:

They did a segment on how Obama ate his hamburger wrong. That's Fox News reporting for you.

Mach1
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
How many big stories are there that Fox reports that the lamestream media doesn't even bother to acknowledge? Not obaaama friendly softball stories.

Just a small example, Van Jones, Climate Gate, Acorn, Jeremiah Wright, the list goes on and on.

The other networks just want's everybody to be good little sheeple and don't ask questions.

venom
08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
How come Conservatives aren't threatened by CBS , NBC , ABC , PBS , MSNBC , CNN , Comedy Central , New York Times or the Washington Post ? But mention FoxNews , Liberals go into a seizure . I sometimes watch MSNBC for a few laughs from their primetime schedule just to hear what the other side is thinking ( oxymoron ) . They don't bother me . More power to the mainstream media !

Vincent
08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
How come Conservatives aren't threatened by CBS , NBC , ABC , PBS , MSNBC , CNN , Comedy Central , New York Times or the Washington Post ? But mention FoxNews , Liberals go into a seizure . I sometimes watch MSNBC for a few laughs from their primetime schedule just to hear what the other side is thinking ( oxymoron ) . They don't bother me . More power to the mainstream media !

Whoot. Dey it ee-iz.

All of the above referenced "networks' are, at best, clown acts. That hard working parents slaved to send their children to the "hallowed halls of higher education" to "achieve" this result is among the saddest of realities. Just pathetic.

"Journalism"??!! Clown acts. Poor ones at that. All of them.

Back to Fox. Fox is no different than the others. They have the same recycled talking heads reading teleprompters as the other networks. Their spin is merely not as far left as the other clowns. The evening talk shows are just that - talk shows. Beck and Hannity are righties. O'Reilly is Ted Baxter. No, not even Ted Baxter. Greta is sad really. But leans left. So, there's the boogy man. The lone voice against the foaming sea of idiocy. And they really fall pretty much in line with the rest of the tools.

So, lets say Fox really was that mouthpiece of the military-industrial establishment. All education, advertising, and "media" with the vaguely arguable exception of Fox are lobotomized leftist zombies. The entire US landscape against Fox. And you can't handle it.

Anybody searching for the islam - liberal nexus need look no further than islam's inability to cope with the existence of Israel.

Or, put another way, "peace is the absence of opposition". Well, opposition to idiocy will always exist. Deal with it.

ricardisimo
08-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Well said Vincent.

There's always Pacifica, which includes Free Speech radio News (http://www.fsrn.org/index.php) and Democracy Now! (http://www.democracynow.org/) The latter is probably the best encapsulated news source in the country, and is indeed Center-Left (I'm still clueless as to what Vincent means when he uses that term). I'm also quite fond of the program Uprising (http://uprisingradio.org/home/), but that is more Left than you might accept.

These are all very much more consistent with what most people consider to be American values than any of the corporate media outlets. Give them a shot and let me know what you think.

ricardisimo
08-19-2010, 03:26 PM

For starters, other than a few members of the Libertarian Party, there are no Conservatives in this country, just a different flavor of corporatist. Secondly, all of the above news outlets are 100% corporatist. That's why no one is threatened by them.

Edit: OK, PBS is 98% corporatist.

ricardisimo
08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
How many big stories are there that Fox reports that the lamestream media doesn't even bother to acknowledge? Not obaaama friendly softball stories.

Just a small example, Van Jones, Climate Gate, Acorn, Jeremiah Wright, the list goes on and on.

The other networks just want's everybody to be good little sheeple and don't ask questions.

I think this list you've put together very nicely encapsulates what they do best: Democratic Party scandal sheet/gossip column. If you think that's news, be my guest.

Mach1
08-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Whats news to you. How good obaaamas golf game is, where he's going on another vacation, what color of socks he is wearing.

cheezheadsteeler
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Just to pick one at random 'Climate Gate', scientists falsify their findings to promote a political agenda and to collect more of the peoples money.
you don't find that news-worthy?

ricardisimo
08-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Whats news to you. How good obaaamas golf game is, where he's going on another vacation, what color of socks he is wearing.

Yeah, obviously. Anyone who's read any of my posts knows that's what I'm looking for in my news service. His socks are black, by the way.

ricardisimo
08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Just to pick one at random 'Climate Gate', scientists falsify their findings to promote a political agenda and to collect more of the peoples money.
you don't find that news-worthy?

Page 23 for a day or two, sure. But a few scientists got their numbers wrong... That's it. If they wanted to make more money, they'd work for BP and declare that global warming is a hoax.

st33lersguy
08-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Page 23 for a day or two, sure. But a few scientists got their numbers wrong... That's it. If they wanted to make more money, they'd work for BP and declare that global warming is a hoax.

They got it wrong intentionally to advance their political global warming agenda. They said they would distort the study to make global warming look good in their e-mails

ricardisimo
08-19-2010, 04:31 PM
"Reports by the House of Commons' Science and Technology Select Committee and an independent Science Assessment Panel commissioned by the UEA concluded that there was no evidence of malpractice on the part of the CRU and Phil Jones,[10] though they did find that there was room for improvement in some of the CRU's working practices.[10][11] The scientific consensus that "global warming is happening and that it is induced by human activity" was found unchallenged by the emails[12] and there was 'no evidence of any deliberate scientific malpractice in any of the work of the Climatic Research Unit.'[10] Although the CRU's use of statistics was generally commended, some of their methods may not have been the best for the purpose.[10] The reports concluded that Phil Jones had no case to answer[7] and that better statistical methods might not have produced significantly different results.[10] The CRU's detractors were also criticised, with one of the reports deploring the tone of their criticism and finding that some of the criticism had been "selective and uncharitable".[10] The question of alleged failure to comply fully with the Freedom of Information Act was left to the third review, published on 7 July, which found that there was "unhelpfulness in responding to requests" and that "e-mails might have been deleted in order to make them unavailable should a subsequent request be made for them".[13][14] A separate review by Penn State University into accusations against Michael E. Mann cleared him of any wrongdoing, stating that "there is no substance" to the allegations against him.[15]"

JonM229
08-19-2010, 04:32 PM
They got it wrong intentionally to advance their political global warming agenda. They said they would distort the study to make global warming look good in their e-mails

Scientists trying to disprove global warming are guilty of the exact same thing

ricardisimo
08-19-2010, 04:36 PM

And yet - miraculously - they aren't being investigated by government agencies, nor by Fox News.

Vincent
08-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Scientists don't "try" to disprove "global warming". They call bull@#$% on the tools trying to prove "global warming".

urgle burgle
08-19-2010, 05:37 PM
maybe if you cant discern which way any of these stations lean, and make up your own mind, from getting both sides of the issue....you shouldnt watch news(aka political programming) period.

ricardisimo
08-19-2010, 07:02 PM
maybe if you cant discern which way any of these stations lean, and make up your own mind, from getting both sides of the issue....you shouldnt watch news(aka political programming) period.

Do you think one can actually get "both" sides on the TV, though? One really shouldn't be getting their news from the TV. I think that's more to the point.

Mach1
08-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Do you think one can actually get "both" sides on the TV, though? One really shouldn't be getting their news from the TV. I think that's more to the point.

Yeah, I suppose one could get their news from the New York Times. :rolleyes:

urgle burgle
08-19-2010, 08:24 PM

no, not the full side, but it can be a useful start, an outline if you will. msnbc is far left, the cbs, nbc, etc. are left or center left, fox is center right in the morning and far right at night, i guess, cnn is blah, but more left than center. or whatever. and yes, one should look much farther into issues than the cable stations, otherwise they will be cajoled into rigid idealism. but for those that like "background noise", or are lacking in time, flipping back and forth, and discerning through the mush is better than nothing. i think i pointed out somewhere on here that i recently took a two month break from all cable news, talk radio, messageboards, blogs, etc.....and i felt much cleaner and happier......go figure.

ricardisimo
08-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Other than Steelers games and the World Cup (and whatever happens to be on the tube at the coffee shop while I'm getting my cup), I haven't watched TV in about a decade. Very cleansing.

BPS3akaWirels3
08-19-2010, 08:41 PM

I get my news on the Baltimore Sun forums..

JonM229
08-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Other than Steelers games and the World Cup (and whatever happens to be on the tube at the coffee shop while I'm getting my cup), I haven't watched TV in about a decade. Very cleansing.
Soccer?!? What a commie

I get my news on the Baltimore Sun forums..
Too many Negative Nancies over there

urgle burgle
08-19-2010, 09:31 PM

i was with ya' til you mentioned the world cup.....:puke: :chuckle:

JonM229
08-19-2010, 09:34 PM
i was with ya' til you mentioned the world cup.....:puke: :chuckle:

I know. Even I'm not that liberal

urgle burgle
08-19-2010, 09:39 PM
I know. Even I'm not that liberal

see....me and and someone from baltimore just agreed.....bridges can be built....