PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy Theories...

Steelerette
09-14-2014, 02:01 PM
When a team looks this bad, it almost has to be on purpose right? So let's hear your wildest conspiracies.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's mine. LeBeau has decided to retire after this season and he knows that things need a real shakeup. So he's plugging in rookies like he never does to get people sharpened up, and he's going to have the defense tank the season.

That way we can get some coaching turnover, draft Mariota and mentor him in Ben's twilight, and Butler is pretty forced to make some changes - that he might want anyway since he's a DL guy and should understand how crucial the NT is.

Meanwhile Tomlin gets canned and we get Coach Munch or Coach Haley.

Oh yeah. Thanks Saint Dick.

- - - Updated - - -

Or...

the whole NFL is rigged. I mean NE is suddenly great after 9/11... Saints come from nowhere after Katrina... Steelers are "usually good" but inexplicably suck at convenient times... just like a few other nationally popular teams who all get their time in the sun.. hmm.

blackngldblood
09-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Ok, let's have some fun.

LeBeau has no idea that he's even coaching anymore due to senility. They won't fire him because he's a hall of famer an they're hoping he wanders off after the season ends.

Ben and Hailey are best of friends now that go to bars too often together, which would explain the inconsistency in the offense, but that game last Thursday was to troll the media into hyping their feud for a while longer.

Tomlin gets canned WWE style and out of the curtain walks his replacement, chin first....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Terminator
09-14-2014, 02:04 PM
My karate instructor fervently believes that the NFL is rigged. Given some of the highly questionable things that have happened over the years - a few of them you already mentioned - it's tough to dismiss.

Steelerette
09-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Small Market Teams without historic large fanbases tend to all be awful too. Not all at once... they all have their flashes. But in general... bad. But why? We have revenue sharing, salary cap, everyone has the same chance really... I mean maybe the Cowboys can hire better admin staff than some teams [but where did that get them the past few years... sometimes you just can't overcome a crazy owner] but in the long run teams tend to perform proportionately to their fan and revenue bases. Hmm...

- - - Updated - - -

Tomlin gets canned WWE style and out of the curtain walks his replacement, chin first....
I wonder what his entrance music will be.

blackngldblood
09-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Small Market Teams without historic large fanbases tend to all be awful too. Not all at once... they all have their flashes. But in general... bad. But why? We have revenue sharing, salary cap, everyone has the same chance really... I mean maybe the Cowboys can hire better admin staff than some teams [but where did that get them the past few years... sometimes you just can't overcome a crazy owner] but in the long run teams tend to perform proportionately to their fan and revenue bases. Hmm...

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what his entrance music will be.

Stone colds theme music. He gives Tomlin the stunner at the fifty yard line after a heartbreaking loss to the Browns in the playoffs.

Lambert_Loonie
09-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Ok, let's have some fun.

http://www.phoenixraceway.com/~/media/17F86C5D94224E689965A51E85E153C9.ashx?w=325

blackngldblood
09-14-2014, 10:49 PM
http://www.phoenixraceway.com/~/media/17F86C5D94224E689965A51E85E153C9.ashx?w=325

Perfect!

HollywoodSteel
09-15-2014, 03:23 PM
My karate instructor fervently believes that the NFL is rigged. Given some of the highly questionable things that have happened over the years - a few of them you already mentioned - it's tough to dismiss.

I think the NFL has far more to gain by not being rigged. I'm not sure about this whole "big market teams being better" theory. Why would the Cowboys and 49ers been so down for so long? Why do the Steelers have more trophies than anyone? Green Bay seems to do better than most big market teams over the years.

Maybe I'm being too serious and not getting into the spirit of the thread. :)

Steelerette
09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Despite the population statistic for the city of Pittsburgh proper, Pittsburgh is by no means small-market - not even close.

It was America's seventh biggest city before the steel industry started to die, and instead of just suffering like happened in Milwaukee, Cleveland, and other places? Pennsylvanians moved all the hell over this country, and then suddenly the Steelers became great in the 70s... so those roots took hold. It's not mere bandwagon but a lot of logistics that has made us one of the nation's most popular teams. The Allegheny Metro Area still has a few million in it, and the Steelers/Eagles divide is much closer to Philly than it is to the Burgh. Don't let a municipal population statistic fool you into thinking the Steelers are small market.

HollywoodSteel
09-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Despite the population statistic for the city of Pittsburgh proper, Pittsburgh is by no means small-market - not even close.

It was America's seventh biggest city before the steel industry started to die, and instead of just suffering like happened in Milwaukee, Cleveland, and other places? Pennsylvanians moved all the hell over this country, and then suddenly the Steelers became great in the 70s... so those roots took hold. It's not mere bandwagon but a lot of logistics that has made us one of the nation's most popular teams. The Allegheny Metro Area still has a few million in it, and the Steelers/Eagles divide is much closer to Philly than it is to the Burgh. Don't let a municipal population statistic fool you into thinking the Steelers are small market.

Isn't a big reason the fan pool is so widespread is because many people left Pittsburgh when the jobs started to go and brought their loyalty to different cities?

I'm in L.A. (obviously by my name) but I was born into a Steelers household without anyone in my family being from Pittsburgh. My dad became a Steelers fan in a very weird way. He was actually a Pirates fan first and decided to just be a Pittsburgh fan all around. He came to this country in the late fifties or early sixties (when the Steelers sucked) and didn't know much about American sports but he was a gambler. The first Dodger game he went to was against the Pirates. The Dodgers were winning late in the game and he decided to bet some random fan near him that the Pirates would win (for no good reason except his desire to gamble). Roberto Clemente batted in three runs in the top of the ninth and the Pirates won. Clemente became my dad's favorite player of all time and my house became a Pittsburgh sports house, many years before I was even born.

Steelerette
09-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Nice story. Oddly enough you see Pirates fans all around the country too, despite them being horrid for 20 years straight. A lot of Cleveland fans will say that Pittsburgh fans are spoiled and don't know how to suffer proper, but the Pirates come to mind. Clemente himself has the Pirates popular in parts of Latin America and in Chicago (there's a Clemente High School there). Yes, the city shrinking in the wake of the post-steel years turned Pittsburgh sports into a national thing, but Western PA ain't exactly the sticks, either. It's a nice resilient region that a lot of people are proud to call home, and a lot more people dearly miss.

steelreserve
09-15-2014, 05:54 PM
My theory is that ever since House got canceled, Tomlin made a brilliant move and hired Omar Epps to stand in for him at half the salary, while he's off in Mexico boozing it up full-time.

At least that's my theory. For the last two seasons, this team has definitely LOOKED like it's coached by Omar Epps.

HollywoodSteel
09-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Nice story. Oddly enough you see Pirates fans all around the country too, despite them being horrid for 20 years straight. A lot of Cleveland fans will say that Pittsburgh fans are spoiled and don't know how to suffer proper, but the Pirates come to mind. Clemente himself has the Pirates popular in parts of Latin America and in Chicago (there's a Clemente High School there). Yes, the city shrinking in the wake of the post-steel years turned Pittsburgh sports into a national thing, but Western PA ain't exactly the sticks, either. It's a nice resilient region that a lot of people are proud to call home, and a lot more people dearly miss.

I've never been there (every year I say I'm gonna finally go to Pittsburgh to see a Steelers game and every year I get too busy) but I hear western PA is a cool place. My wife has a friend closer to Philly (Harrisburgh I believe) and she calls that area Pennsyltucky, I presume because it is the sticks. My wife went to visit her friend out there once and went to a local sports shop, asking to buy Steelers stuff. The store owner was nice enough but had to whisper to my wife that they keep the Steelers stuff hidden in the back because she was in Eagles country. I guess Pennsylvania ain't all the same.