PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich or Dixon?

polamalubeast
08-18-2010, 07:19 PM
02:03 – Rod Woodson breaks down tape and gives a definitive answer about who should start the Steelers opener.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d819db667/Leftwich-or-Dixon

Killer
08-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Rod just said the same thing we've been saying for months.

Pass protection has been weak and Dixon's mobility gives him the edge over the statue that is Leftwich.

cold-hard-steel
08-18-2010, 09:19 PM
That will sort itself out.Noone has the job just yet,despite what the media may think.Thats my take on it.Some like to judge one preseason game. Some let the cards play out,before forming an opinion.I am a fan of the latter.

steelpride12
08-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Ben excels in our offense even with poor pass protection because he is mobile and works better out of the pocket or scrambling, Dixon has developed into the same kind of player and his success has shown early.

Chidi29
08-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Leftwich.

We knew about the unagile line. We knew about his immobility. No one was clamoring for Dixon before the first preseason game, which indicates a kneejerk reaction. Always a bad thing in this business.

And really looking back at the tape, are any of those sacks really because Leftwich is so immobile? First off, you can still be mobile in the pocket. A guy like Peyton Manning isn't going to outrun, well anyone, but he's very mobile in the pocket and knows when he needs to step up when the ends get to the outside. And I don't even think Dixon could have avoided the sack where Flozell got flat out beat.

When you have a trouble with sacks, a mobile quarterback isn't the solution you turn to. You fix it by improving protection and creating plays that get the ball out of the QBs hand quicker.

tony hipchest
08-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Leftwich.

And really looking back at the tape, are any of those sacks really because Leftwich is so immobile? his slow wind up got him hammered. dan marino woulda survived the same pass rush, standing up.

i'll wait for 2 more games before i decide who i think should start.

Chidi29
08-19-2010, 12:17 AM
his slow wind up got him hammered. dan marino woulda survived the same pass rush, standing up.

i'll wait for 2 more games before i decide who i think should start.

It's not something that you look for and will be an issue, but you can take steps to minimize it.

Steeldude
08-19-2010, 12:35 AM
i'll take the QB over the WR every time

Craic
08-19-2010, 01:03 AM
2 and 3rd team preseason competition is one thing, real game experience during the season is another. Dixon saw NO confusing defenses. No first string DB's or blitzes or even rushes from players that weigh 300 pounds and still run in the mid to uppper 4's in the 40. I wouldn't be so fast to crown him.

I DO think that Dixon earned a chance to run with the first string this coming game. However, nobody wins a starting spot in the first pre-season game playing against the second/third string and camp fodder.

SirHulka
08-19-2010, 03:19 AM
As a Browns fan, I think Leftwich should start.

HometownGal
08-19-2010, 06:37 AM
2 and 3rd team preseason competition is one thing, real game experience during the season is another. Dixon saw NO confusing defenses. No first string DB's or blitzes or even rushes from players that weigh 300 pounds and still run in the mid to uppper 4's in the 40. I wouldn't be so fast to crown him.

I DO think that Dixon earned a chance to run with the first string this coming game. However, nobody wins a starting spot in the first pre-season game playing against the second/third string and camp fodder.

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

I also agree with Chidi here - a kneejerk reaction to Dixon's success against the Lions 2nd and 3rd team D doesn't even come remotely close to annointing him as the starter. I want to see what he can do against a half decent first team D before I remove the starter crown from Lefty's head and place it on his. As I"ve said before - Dix needs to really work on his pocket presence before I'm going to feel comfortable with him subbing for Ben in those first 4 VERY important games.

Texasteel
08-19-2010, 07:06 AM
I like Dixon and gave him MY game ball, but I did see a couple of things I didn't like.

He seems to be ready to run at the drop of a hat.

When he runs, he runs to run, not to make time for his WRs.

When he does decide to run, he looses all vision of the field. I remember at least twice that a WR was open right in front of him and he ran out of bound, to be fair he did get the 1st down on both plays.

May change my mind, but right now I would go with Lefty.

Killer
08-19-2010, 07:29 AM
I agree with Rod - Let Dixon run

As a Browns fan, I think Leftwich should start.

I rest my case

SirHulka
08-19-2010, 07:56 AM
:rofl2:

Nadroj 20
08-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Sure Dixon's good performance was against a bad team, but in all honesty so was Leftwhichs sub par performance. Lions starting D is all worse then the Falcons, Titans, and Ravens. 3 of first 4 teams we play.

Just saying if you dont want to give credit to DD for what he did you cant defend Lefty for what he did.

Nadroj 20
08-19-2010, 09:14 AM
:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

I also agree with Chidi here - a kneejerk reaction to Dixon's success against the Lions 2nd and 3rd team D doesn't even come remotely close to annointing him as the starter. I want to see what he can do against a half decent first team D before I remove the starter crown from Lefty's head and place it on his. As I"ve said before - Dix needs to really work on his pocket presence before I'm going to feel comfortable with him subbing for Ben in those first 4 VERY important games.

While I agree to a point I must say I dont think the decision rests soley on how well Dixon plays. If Lefty is just plain bad and cant get the job done they have no choice but to play Dixon.

Its not all Dixon playing great it also matters if Lefty just plain sucks. So if Leftwhich plays below average all pre-season and Dixon plays average? no brainer imo

SteelGhost
08-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Me too Preacher :thumbsup: I want to see what he can do against 1st. Giants defense. We have nothing to lose to give him a chance :noidea:

Borski
08-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I have liked Dixon over Leftwich but I dont think anything can be decided over 1 perseason game, I do hope they let Dixion start the week 2 game and see if his success continues

steel striker
08-19-2010, 02:40 PM
It is still too early to name either one as the starter for the first 4-6 games. I say whoever has the best camp should start but, we need to see more. The starters for the o-line must play better or Lefty will be in the hospital. We all know that Dennis is young and, has alot of playmaker in him. We just need to see if he read defenses a little more than he has showed. I like Dixon mainly because, he can move outside the pocket to make plays.

Craic
08-19-2010, 05:39 PM
I like Dixon and gave him MY game ball, but I did see a couple of things I didn't like.

He seems to be ready to run at the drop of a hat.

When he runs, he runs to run, not to make time for his WRs.

When he does decide to run, he looses all vision of the field. I remember at least twice that a WR was open right in front of him and he ran out of bound, to be fair he did get the 1st down on both plays.

May change my mind, but right now I would go with Lefty.

Exactly.

Now if Dixon can start to improve in those areas, we will have something. Funny thing is, Bruce Arians is the kind of OC that Kordell Stewart needed. Something tells me that he won't make dixon stay in the pocket all the time. If a QB is naturally not a pocket QB, then let him roll out, take two reads, and then run for yards. I have no prob. with that.

BUt if he is scrambling, it would be good for him to scramble BEHIND the LOS to keep the passing game alive.

Then again, his scrambling/running ability will probably stop the LB's from pinning their ears back and coming through the line.

Personally, I like Lefty and am glad he is on the team. I think he starts, unless Dixon can show some real improvement in those areas... against a FIRST team defense.

Craic
08-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Sure Dixon's good performance was against a bad team, but in all honesty so was Leftwhichs sub par performance. Lions starting D is all worse then the Falcons, Titans, and Ravens. 3 of first 4 teams we play.

Just saying if you dont want to give credit to DD for what he did you cant defend Lefty for what he did.
That knife cuts both ways... IF the Lions starting D is that bad, then what does that say about their 2 and 3rd stringers who can't even make that starting line up? It doesn't change the issue of facing a first vs. third string defense from teh same team.

Nadroj 20
08-19-2010, 05:55 PM
That knife cuts both ways... IF the Lions starting D is that bad, then what does that say about their 2 and 3rd stringers who can't even make that starting line up? It doesn't change the issue of facing a first vs. third string defense from teh same team.

Well Lefty played some against their 2nd team i believe.

HometownGal
08-19-2010, 08:21 PM
I like Dixon mainly because, he can move outside the pocket to make plays.

One of his flaws, which hopefully can be corrected, is that he doesn't deal well with pocket pressure and when he feels the slightest hint of it, instead of stepping up into the pocket and firing to an open receiver (which happened a couple of times in the Lions game), he turtles and takes off running. DC's are going to catch on to his schtick very quickly and opposing D's will be ready to nail him. He needs to settle down with those happy feet and step right up there into that pocket as any successful NFL QB does.

SteelGhost
08-19-2010, 08:32 PM
One of his flaws, which hopefully can be corrected, is that he doesn't deal well with pocket pressure and when he feels the slightest hint of it, instead of stepping up into the pocket and firing to an open receiver (which happened a couple of times in the Lions game), he turtles and takes off running. DC's are going to catch on to his schtick very quickly and opposing D's will be ready to nail him. He needs to settle down with those happy feet and step right up there into that pocket as any successful NFL QB does.

Well said HTG. I only hope that the OL helps him to have some more patience to find an open WR instead of running. Maybe some more screen pass plays can help him a lot to stay longer in the pocket IMHO.

Texasteel
08-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Well said, and IMO absolutely correct.

Craic
08-19-2010, 10:52 PM

LOL, now I understand your dislike of Kordell Stewart much better :chuckle: :thumbsup:

I agree that on straight drop backs he DOES need to learn to step up. I just hope that they don't try to tie him down to the pocket like they did Kordell. Gotta go with a players strengths.

Chidi29
08-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Because I have that kind of time, I broke down each pass attempt from Leftwich and Dixon.

Leftwich

- 2nd and 5, 14:23 left in the 1st: It's an in or curl route to Wallace. The ball is low and Wallace has to go down to the ground for it, but it is only where the WR can make the catch. And Wallace does. First down.

- 3rd and 9, 12:15 left in the 1st: Shotgun, 1 back in the backfield. Leftwich gets flushed out of the pocket after Starks and Flozell get beat to the inside. Byron tries to check down to Mendenhall but the pass is slightly off the mark and bounces off of Mendenhall's hands. By my rough estimations, it took 2.8 seconds from snap to throw. Mind you, that isn't snap to pressure. Just snap to the actual throw.

- 1st and 10, 10:13 in the 1st: 2 TE, singleback set. Leftwich gets plowed by Cliff Avril, who beats Flozell off the edge. Just two seconds from snap to sack. Barely enough time for Leftwich to complete his drop. I doubt Dixon even gets out of this one.

- 3rd and 15, 9:05 in the 1st: Shotgun, 1 back, 3 WR, 1 TE. Leftwich hit as he releases (slow windup didn't do him any favors though it's tough to say that was the main cause). 2.9 from snap to hit.

- 3rd and 13, 6:30 in the 1st: Shotgun, RB/TE in the backfield. 3 WR. Leftwich goes through his progression and checks down to Heath. Didn't force anything, just lived to throw another day. There were two big problems in the red zone last year.

- Having to settle for a field goal (which we did after this play)
- Turning the ball over

Look at most of our "bad" losses and you're going to find costly turnovers in the red zone. Studebaker's pick against KC, pick in the end zone against Oakland, a failed 4th and 1 sneak again versus Oakland. Leftwich was smart and just checked down.

- 1st and 20, 12:15 in 2nd: Singleback, 2 TE. Pocket breaks down around him, causing Lefty to step up and hit Randle El on a little drag route. 7 yard gain.

- 2nd and 13, 11:30 in 2nd: Shotgun, 1 RB, 1 TE (off the line of scrimmage), 3 WR. Screen pass to Redman that goes for an 11 yard gain. There is actually a bit of an art to throwing the screen. You want to sell the screen as best as possible. Don't immediately look at the back; otherwise the line and backers are going to read your eyes and figure out why the guard let you have a clean route to the QB. Leftwich looked downfield, baited the lineman, and at the last second, chucked it to Redman.

- 3rd and 2, 10:50 in 2nd: Weak I orginally with the TE on the left, though he motions to the right. Quick pass in the flats to Tank who picks up the first down.

- 1st and 10, 10:00 in 2nd: 1 RB, 2 TE to the left with 2 WR. Line missed picking up a stunt, letting a linebacker come free. Leftwich stood tall in the pocket, but underthrew Wallace down the right sidelines. If Leftwich makes a good throw, it's probably a touchdown.

- 2nd and 10, 8:44 in 2nd: Formation is unclear (crappy camera work). It looks like 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB. Leftwich runs into Starks and almost falls down. He does that odd-looking slow-mo Baywatch run to the right, checking it down to Redman for a short gain.

- 3rd and 7, 8:00 in 2nd: Trips left, 1 RB, 1 WR to the right. Heavy blitz from the Lions. Leftwich overthrows Battle who had the corner beat in the end zone. To be fair, I think the only QB on the roster with a shot of making that throw is Ben.

Dixon

- 2nd and 9, 4:00 in 2nd: Singleback, 2 WR, and 2 TE to the left. Dixon takes off. 2.5 seconds from snap to Dixon running with no pressure on the play. Stay in the pocket DD.

- 1st and 10, 2:40 in 2nd: Singleback, 2 WR, 2 TE to the left. Battle motions from the right to the left. PA rollout to the right. Dixon shows his arm strength by hitting Battle a good 20 yards downfield while on the move. Arm strength isn't an issue for Dennis. Battle finishes the play very nicely. Dixon also sold the playaction well; both DTs went for Moore giving Dixon extra time. This was the best throw (italics here will be clear later) of the day from Dixon IMO.

- 1st and 10, 9:50 in 3rd: Singleback, 2 WR to left, 2 TE to the right. Playction, Dixon doesn't lead Grisham to the sidelies on a post corner route. The ball gets tipped by the CB. He had too much touch on the pass and showed some happy feet in the pocket.

- 3rd and 9, 8:55 in 3rd: Shotgun, 1 RB to the right, 3 WR, 1 TE (David Johnson lined up in the slot. This happened a couple times). Dixon correctly points out a potential blitz pre-snap, making sure everyone is on the same page. His throw might have been a little high, but Brown draws a pass interference. It's tough for me to get a definitive answer, but I think Dixon threw the ball a little late. Brown had already broken his route before the throw. Ideally, on that comeback to the sideline, you throw it to the outside shoulder toward the sideline before the receiver makes his break. That way, the corner has no chance of jumping the route. If I recall, he nearly got picked off that way against Baltimore last year either very late in the 4th quarter or in overtime shortly before the actual interception.

- 1st and 10, 8:45 in 3rd: Singleback, Trips bunch to the right, 1 WR to the left. PA rollout to the right. Dixon runs for a small gain. Snap to run: 3.45 seconds though that is factoring in the time it took for the rollout itself.

- 2nd and 8, 8:15 in 3rd: Singleback, 3 WR, 1 TE. Pass in flats for Grisham who doesn't do much with it.

- 3rd and 3, 7:27 in 3rd: Shotgun, 1 RB to left, Trips Bunch to the right with an additional WR to the left. Heavy blitz, but Dixon hits his route read - Sanders on a slant for a first down. Best pocket passer play of the day by any of our QBs.

- 3rd and 5, 5:25 in 3rd: 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB, out of the shotgun. Doesn't like his first read, scrambles to the left and takes off. From snap to run: 3.5 seconds. It doesn't seem like he had his eyes downfield as he started to scramble. Big no-no.

- 1st and 10, 5:00 in 3rd: 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB out of the singleback. Fake handoff to both the back and the WR on a reverse. Deep ball not there, Dixon takes off. Looks like he missed a checkdown to Redman. The big problem here is that Dixon goes into "run mode" at the 45 (already trying to put a stutter step on a LB), a full four yards before the line of scrimmage. Again, this shows the run first mentality.

- 3rd and 7, 2:50 in 3rd: Out of the shotgun, 1 RB to the left, 3 WR, 1 TE (again, lined up in the slot). His first option isn't there, and again, Dixon goes into run mode. A LB coming up to cover Redman reads this and takes the calculated gamble of going for the sack rather than breaking off and covering Redman in the flats (knowing that Dixon is more apt to run than check down). Dixon never sees him and Palmer easily takev him down for the sack. THIS is the issue with Dixon. Teams are making an easy adjustment to slow him down.

- 2nd and 6, 13:30 in 4th: 2 WR (Brown off the line, closer to the RT than his split end spot). 2 TE, singleback, PA rollout to the right. Dumpoff to Brown.

- 3rd and 2, 12:58 in 4th: Shotgun, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE. Pouncey gets beat and Dixon scrambles to avoid the rush, picking up the first down on the run. Perfectly acceptable situation to run.

- 3rd and 8, 11:08 in 4th: Shotgun, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE. Screen to Dwyer goes nowhere after Legursky can't get to the LB in time.

- 1st and 10, 8:20 in 4th: 1 WR, Brown, who motions to the right. Singleback with 2 TEs. Post to Brown is Dixon's first read and he hits him in stride. It's off to the races and Brown scores.

*A quick side note. I swear we only had ten guys out there that play. I can't find the 11th man.

---------------------------

To me, Leftwich really didn't have a bad game. Not great by any means, but not as bad as people are making it out to be. Especially in the first game. Moreso, keep in mind this is Leftwich's first game since early last year. He got put on IR the first quarter of the season and hadn't thrown a pass in game action since and probably didn't throw a whole lot until the offseason.

Dixon showed flashes of talent, but his issues are well documented.

ShoeHorn
08-20-2010, 03:39 PM
By halftime of the second game it won't even matter. Lefty will get injured like he always does and it will be the Dennis Dixon show by default!

siss
08-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Nether! I want Ben!

HometownGal
08-20-2010, 09:19 PM
LOL, now I understand your dislike of Kordell Stewart much better :chuckle: :thumbsup:

I agree that on straight drop backs he DOES need to learn to step up. I just hope that they don't try to tie him down to the pocket like they did Kordell. Gotta go with a players strengths.

I really didn't "dislike" Kordumbell - I appreciate him for the positive contributions he made to the team with his outstanding athleticism and the excitement he gave us fans here and there. I just thought he was a bit of a space cadet, a big crybaby and definitely as dumb as a bag of hammers. :doh:

Craic
08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I really didn't "dislike" Kordumbell - I appreciate him for the positive contributions he made to the team with his outstanding athleticism and the excitement he gave us fans here and there. I just thought he was a bit of a space cadet, a big crybaby and definitely as dumb as a bag of hammers. :doh:
http://emoticons.msn-beta.com/big/19.gif

sharkweek
08-24-2010, 01:23 AM
We wouldn't even have Leftwich if Ben didn't get himself suspended. At this point I think Dixon has shown better overall performance although Leftwich's 65 yard TD pass was a masterful throw and a thing of beauty. Although he was only 50%. Anyways, he did add some points in my book but I still need to see more.

If I had to to pick now, I'd pick Dixon.

Leftwich might be a better backup when teams are game planning to stop Ben, but if they're game planning specifically to stop Leftwich or Dixon I think Dixon's mobility makes him a far greater threat.

shutdown
08-24-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't think anyone questions the fact that the talent is there for Dixon, but the obvious word I hear around most insiders is Dixon continues to lack two things. Leadership and Knowledge of the playbook.

He has been constantly been slammed for not knowing the playbook and while our new QB coach has aired that recently Dixon is trying his best to pick it up and staying late, that his knowledge is not upto par as most would want from your starting QB. The sad part is Leftwhich came in and picked things up just fine.

Second would be his leadership abilities. I read Wexell mention the other day to consider Tomlin's comment last week that Dixon hasn't gathered up the nerve to ask Flozell Adams to move from his spot in the stretch, and contrast that with Leftwich cussing out rookie receivers as an audible from under center, and you might better understand the leadership pecking order here.