PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's struggles emblematic of loss

zulater
09-13-2014, 05:26 AM
Over the last two-plus seasons, Ben Roethlisberger is the one consistent on a Steelers team that is 17-17 during that time.
But when Roethlisberger isn't playing up to the standards of the $100 million quarterback he is right now — and the $100 million quarterback he expects to be again next year — the Steelers are too unreliable to make up for it.
Roethlisberger experienced only his second below-average passer grade in three seasons during the Steelers' 26-6 loss at the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night.
His performance wasn't bad, it wasn't nearly good enough on a night the Steelers didn't generate a touchdown, sack or takeaway.
It wasn't just the multiple underthrows of receivers, the overthrow of Heath Miller as he ran open on a play that might have altered the game, the interception by nose tackle Haloti Ngata, It also was a surprising inability to complete short throws — Roethlisberger was only 8 of 16 for 69 yards on passes within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.
Roethlisberger had thrown at least one touchdown pass in all 30 games he had played since a 13-9 win over Cleveland to end the 2011 regular season. But he didn't Thursday, and with predictable results.
“We obviously weren't good enough,” Miller said Friday. And, this time, even the quarterback had to be included.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6765346-74/roethlisberger-steelers-didn#ixzz3DBqRIj00
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

click the link, worth reading the whole article.

stillers4me
09-13-2014, 05:58 AM
Of all the things wrong with this team, Ben is the least of my concerns. Keeping him in one piece for a few more years, is.

tube517
09-13-2014, 06:54 AM
But while their roster is getting younger, the Steelers have played like this for more than two seasons — not getting takeaways, not getting sacks, not converting on key drives, not playing their accustomed level of defense.

....and too many penalties at the wrong time which either kill drives or give poor starting position (kickoffs and punts).

fansince'76
09-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Roethlisberger experienced only his second below-average passer grade in three seasons during the Steelers' 26-6 loss at the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night.

Yes, the problem with the Steelers is Ben. Obviously.

After that, Roethlisberger was barely above 50 percent, 20 of 35 with an interception, on throws in which he was not blitzed, according to Pro Football Focus.

Since when has that mattered? This OL has consistently had problems with 3-man rushes, never mind 5 or 6 guys coming.

zulater
09-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Yes, the problem with the Steelers is Ben. Obviously.

Since when has that mattered? This OL has consistently had problems with 3-man rushes, never mind 5 or 6 guys coming.

As to why I posted this it's because of my position that as Ben goes so goes the Steelers. Not a knock on him in any way. Actually more of a complement. Overall team talent I think the Steelers average if not slightly below. The days that a Charlie Batch could quarterback this team to a 3-1 record are gone. So by that standard I think it's fair to point out Ben was well below his normal standard of play. I absolutely think the early hit by Upshaw played into his performance.

So going forward we have to hope the line cleans up their act and protects Ben like they did at the end of last season. We also have to hope Lance Moore and Wheaton do what they're supposed to do. And lastly we have to have Haley take off the shackles and let Ben run the offense how he sees fit.

Do that and this still is a 9-11 win team.

BigNastyDefense
09-18-2014, 07:18 PM
I would say Ben is a big reason for us going 8-8 the last couple of seasons, no other QB in the league could have that kind of success behind this offensive line. Is he perfect? No. But you know what, neither is Peyton Manning.

Big Ben is going to win you more games than he's going to cost you. That's a fact.

Did he play like crap last week? Yes and no. Two fumbles killed drives where he was in a good rhythm and completing passes, and if those don't happen maybe that game ends up with a different result. It didn't help losing Brown for a good chunk of the first half and if I remember correctly a bit of the second half. There were some drops in there that killed drives too. And that interception what on a tipped ball, caught by a defensive lineman, with the game essentially out of reach anyhow.

I don't understand why the Steelers don't run the no huddle almost exclusively. That's when they seem to be at their best.

Hawkman
09-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Having been at many Steelers/Ravens games in Baltimore, it is so loud there is no way for Ben to call plays at the line of scrimmage, thus making the no huddle almost impossible. I don't know if you could see it on tv, but when Ben was in the shotgun, Foster was watching Ben, and when it was time to snap the ball, Foster tapped Pouncey on the thigh. I'm amazed that we didn't have a boatload of false starts. With that noise, it's incredibly hard to get into a rhythm. No-huddle is much easier at home.

one side only
09-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Having been at many Steelers/Ravens games in Baltimore, it is so loud there is no way for Ben to call plays at the line of scrimmage, thus making the no huddle almost impossible. I don't know if you could see it on tv, but when Ben was in the shotgun, Foster was watching Ben, and when it was time to snap the ball, Foster tapped Pouncey on the thigh. I'm amazed that we didn't have a boatload of false starts. With that noise, it's incredibly hard to get into a rhythm. No-huddle is much easier at home.

There is the other school of thought that says the no huddle will quiet a crowd. Calling a play in a huddle, then calling an audible at the line of scrimmage in a noisy stadium is the same as calling the play at the line of scrimmage in the first place. Thus, hand signals are used. They could call a series of plays in the huddle then hurry up without having to huddle again. The Bengals used the no huddle a lot more than the Steelers did in Baltimore, and it was effective.

Hawkman
09-19-2014, 09:22 PM
There is the other school of thought that says the no huddle will quiet a crowd. Calling a play in a huddle, then calling an audible at the line of scrimmage in a noisy stadium is the same as calling the play at the line of scrimmage in the first place. Thus, hand signals are used. They could call a series of plays in the huddle then hurry up without having to huddle again. The Bengals used the no huddle a lot more than the Steelers did in Baltimore, and it was effective.

Not sure we are there yet.

Count Steeler
09-20-2014, 06:26 AM
I think the Ravens fans and players were more juiced up to play the Steelers than the Bengals. Unfortunately, most teams do that.

zulater
09-22-2014, 05:22 AM
Ben had a poor first quarter. Really looked as if he was anticipating contact. Or it could have been he was just reigned in by a too conservative game plan? Whichever or both, once Ben's play came up two notches so did the rest of the team. Ben has to be our MVP this year. Last night he was. Even though others may have seemed to shine brighter, it wasn't until Ben got the offense out of mothballs that the rest of the team's play came up.

fansince'76
09-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Ben had a poor first quarter. Really looked as if he was anticipating contact. Or it could have been he was just reigned in by a too conservative game plan? Whichever or both, once Ben's play came up two notches so did the rest of the team. Ben has to be our MVP this year. Last night he was. Even though others may have seemed to shine brighter, it wasn't until Ben got the offense out of mothballs that the rest of the team's play came up.

The trend I've noticed is that the offense doesn't do squat until the keys are turned over to Ben to call the plays.