PDA

View Full Version : No bright spots tonight. Looked like the worst team in the league.

zulater
09-11-2014, 10:15 PM
If Ben plays bad this team is brutal. Maybe the worst in the league. Could be looking at the #1 pick in the draft if Ben doesn't get right.
And given this receiver core, that's no given. Sanders is missed. Colbert will fuck it regardless. Need a new management team.

MrPgh
09-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Inexcusable that they hardly ran no-huddle and didn't take shots down field when the Ravens were missing their best CB.

one side only
09-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Tremendous post; captures everything but "Fire Tomlin." The intentional misspelling of corps is priceless.

steel9guy
09-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Inexcusable that they hardly ran no-huddle and didn't take shots down field when the Ravens were missing their best CB.

Every year we are promised more no huddle. Every year denied. Tired of everything about this team. Just sickening.

MrPgh
09-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Every year we are promised more no huddle. Every year denied. Tired of everything about this team. Just sickening.

You have to start wondering if the decision about the no-huddle is made above the offensive coordinator. I think there's an organizational ego with the Steelers, and they want to show everybody they can still win with Ben being put in a minimized role..... except they can't.

one side only
09-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Fuck off.

I thought it was the "sky is falling" sarcasm. My mistake. I apologize.

zulater
09-11-2014, 10:28 PM
I thought it was the "sky is falling" sarcasm. My mistake. I apologize.

Sorry. I'm in a bad mood tonight. Just wanted a good effort. Didn't really expect a win.

They got ten days to figure some things out. Hope they look like an NFL team a week Sunday.

bayz101
09-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Not sure how you can look at Bell and Antonio Brown's efforts tonight and claim no bright spots. Outside of that --- yeah. Pretty shitty.

Devilsdancefloor
09-11-2014, 10:31 PM
lance moore is looking more like duce every game the bright spot is bell he is for real

Lambert_Loonie
09-11-2014, 10:32 PM

I don't get it. They KNOW what works and they go out of their way NOT to do it.

MrPgh
09-11-2014, 10:33 PM
I don't get it. They KNOW what works and they go out of their way NOT to do it.

It's ego. The Steelers want to be right more badly than they want to win.

BigNastyDefense
09-11-2014, 10:39 PM
This defense is bad. They need a true NT. Cam Thomas and Steve McClendon are not the answers. Why the hell is McCullers inactive? Can we at least give him a shot at the nose? He can't be any worse than what we already have. At least if he can plant his feet he'll be difficult to move. This defense cannot tackle worth a damn...but they're good at racking up penalties.

Baltimore isn't an easy place to win. When your defense can't tackle and your offense can't get anything going, that makes it impossible. Forget the two bogus personal foul penalties on the Ravens last TD drive, the Steelers didn't deserve to win this game. No pass rush, can't create a turnover to save their lives...and the offense turned it over three times. You're almost never going to win with that disaster of a recipe.

Outside of AB and Wheaton, there's a huge drop off at receiver. Hopefully Lance Moore can get healthy so he can at least be a reliable slot receiver. Justin Brown is trash, when Moore gets healthy, JB should be inactive. Heyward-Bey isn't anything special. People complaining about not going deep...they tried a few times and each time Ben got sacked.

Shoes
09-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Worilds was pushed, at will all over the field. This guy has the energy of an earthworm.

steel9guy
09-11-2014, 10:43 PM

I agree. It has to be. It's absurd. I don't understand why it has to be this way. Doesn't the coaching staff realize they are gonna run themselves out of town?

MrPgh
09-11-2014, 10:45 PM
I agree. It has to be. It's absurd. I don't understand why it has to be this way. Doesn't the coaching staff realize they are gonna run themselves out of town?

Unfortunately, I think this sentiment goes higher up than the coaching staff....

steel9guy
09-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Outscored 50-9 in the last 6 quarters. 50-9 ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zulater
09-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Outscored 50-9 in the last 6 quarters. 50-9 ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it was against two of the best offenses in the league. Uh, what's that you say?

BigNastyDefense
09-11-2014, 11:04 PM

Cowher had losing seasons in most of his non-playoff years. So I don't see Tomlin getting fired unless this team goes something like 4-12 for a few straight years. Haley was an Art Rooney hire, he'll be given every chance to make it.

Honestly, the entire time he has been here, Tomlin hasn't had complete control over his staff. A condition of being hired was keeping LeBeau. The defensive staff has been kept basically intact, and I don't know if that's because management was basically saying let LeBeau keep who he wants to keep or because Tomlin seriously wanted to keep them. I think Art II fired Arians, and forced Haley on Tomlin.

I'll be totally honest, when LeBeau retired, if they don't allow him to bring in whoever he wants to bring in on defense...or if he wants to fire Haley and Art says no...if I were Tomlin, I'd coach out my contract and coach somewhere else the next year.

X-Terminator
09-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Unfortunately, I think this sentiment goes higher up than the coaching staff....

Well given that Art basically wanted Ben reined in and wanted more emphasis on the running attack (not run more - I get it, please people, don't bring that up), I have to agree. That said, the coaching staff absolutely should not be given a pass for how ill-prepared and poorly coached the team is. I mean, they were so good in the no-huddle in the first half Sunday. Shelved the past 6 quarters. Why? The defense...well, it's just a mess, plain and simple.

Shoes
09-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Well given that Art basically wanted Ben reined in and wanted more emphasis on the running attack (not run more - I get it, please people, don't bring that up), I have to agree. That said, the coaching staff absolutely should not be given a pass for how ill-prepared and poorly coached the team is. I mean, they were so good in the no-huddle in the first half Sunday. Shelved the past 6 quarters. Why? The defense...well, it's just a mess, plain and simple.
I don't understand this either, tho I don't think that would have helped Ben tonight. The D needs new blood in the coaching dept……and I'm not sold on Butler. If he coaches like his press conferences sound and the stupid remarks he made on Spence in the past…I'll pass.

st33lersguy
09-11-2014, 11:36 PM
This ain't a playoff team. This team will go 7-9 or 8-8

X-Terminator
09-11-2014, 11:37 PM
This ain't a playoff team. This team will go 7-9 or 8-8

As bad as the AFC is, that still might be good enough to make the playoffs.

Steelerette
09-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Remember how the end of the 2012 season showed so much promise, we thought in the offseason that maybe there was some hope that things were starting to turn around... and then we laid a complete egg at the beginning of last season?

Here we are again. We finished last season strong, there was a lot of cause for optimism - not universal but not blind either, there was actual cause - and yet we came out this season looking like this?

Unless the next few games they prove to us that the last six quarters were an aberration, let's don't be fooled again. I can live with growing pains. I can live with losing. I can't live with not even trying.

HollywoodSteel
09-11-2014, 11:58 PM
I am so baffled by this team. We have 3 first round draft picks and 1 second rounder at LB. We have at least two solid defensive linemen plus a 2nd round rookie that's supposedly a steal. How the hell are we generating absolutely ZERO pass rush. It doesn't seem possible. We don't seem to have a single defensive player that can line up against an opponent and consistently win their individual battle. NOT ONE GUY! Every team has at least ONE GUY. Are we that bad at evaluating talent? Did Dick Labeau go from being one of the best defensive minds in the game to the absolute worst? That doesn't seem possible either. We brought in Joey Porter to bring some fire to this linebacking group and instead it looks more like he brought a wet blanket. We all love Carnell Lake, but could this secondary be much worse? Are we seeing the best those guys are capable of? It just doesn't seem possible.

I knew going into the season that our secondary would be sub-par, especially our corners, but I figured we'd have some bright spots to make up for that. Some splash plays. SOMETHING.

I know it's only been two games this year but we have been near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to turnovers and sacks for like three years. How? You'd think we'd get more sacks and turnovers by just dumb luck alone. But we don't. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Maybe I'm just a spoiled fan. Maybe I need to wake up and realize that there is nothing magical about the emblem on the side of our helmets. There is no Steeler way. It doesn't mean anything without good drafting and good coaching. The ghost of Art Rooney doesn't make us special. The Cowboys and Raiders were once great franchises too but the only thing connecting them to their winning ways is the uniform.

I guess I just expect us to be good every year for no really good reason. I know why the Patriots are good every year (even the year where Brady was hurt). And it isn't the stupid uniform or the owner. I don't know why I magically expect anything from the Steelers. I suppose I like that we don't panic and fire coaches the way that consistently bad teams do. I want Tomlin to be a great head coach, but for the life of me I still can't figure out what aspect of coaching he does really well. And I'm not saying I want him fired. I'm not claiming to have any solutions at all. That's what makes it all so frustrating.

HollywoodSteel
09-12-2014, 12:07 AM
As bad as the AFC is, that still might be good enough to make the playoffs.

To what end? Getting slaughtered in the first playoff game because we have absolutely no chance at winning against a real playoff team, especially on the road?

I hate being so pessimistic. I really want to look at something and say, "okay this is correctable with proper coaching." But who is going to be doing that coaching? Who is going to correct the little things that have gone uncorrected for several years now? I know we are not playing up to our potential on offense, but I have no idea what our potential even is on defense. I look at guys who I thought would be playmakers and they just either suck because we can't evaluate talent for shit or they suck because we can't coach for shit. Or both. I wish I had some hope to cling to, but I can't find it.

katmandu
Inexcusable that they hardly ran no-huddle and didn't take shots down field when the Ravens were missing their best CB.What's up with that ?

Shoes
I am so baffled by this team. We have 3 first round draft picks and 1 second rounder at LB. We have at least two solid defensive linemen plus a 2nd round rookie that's supposedly a steal. How the hell are we generating absolutely ZERO pass rush. It doesn't seem possible. We don't seem to have a single defensive player that can line up against an opponent and consistently win their individual battle. NOT ONE GUY! Every team has at least ONE GUY. Are we that bad at evaluating talent? Did Dick Labeau go from being one of the best defensive minds in the game to the absolute worst? That doesn't seem possible either. We brought in Joey Porter to bring some fire to this linebacking group and instead it looks more like he brought a wet blanket. We all love Carnell Lake, but could this secondary be much worse? Are we seeing the best those guys are capable of? It just doesn't seem possible.

I knew going into the season that our secondary would be sub-par, especially our corners, but I figured we'd have some bright spots to make up for that. Some splash plays. SOMETHING.

I know it's only been two games this year but we have been near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to turnovers and sacks for like three years. How? You'd think we'd get more sacks and turnovers by just dumb luck alone. But we don't. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Maybe I'm just a spoiled fan. Maybe I need to wake up and realize that there is nothing magical about the emblem on the side of our helmets. There is no Steeler way. It doesn't mean anything without good drafting and good coaching. The ghost of Art Rooney doesn't make us special. The Cowboys and Raiders were once great franchises too but the only thing connecting them to their winning ways is the uniform.

I guess I just expect us to be good every year for no really good reason. I know why the Patriots are good every year (even the year where Brady was hurt). And it isn't the stupid uniform or the owner. I don't know why I magically expect anything from the Steelers. I suppose I like that we don't panic and fire coaches the way that consistently bad teams do. I want Tomlin to be a great head coach, but for the life of me I still can't figure out what aspect of coaching he does really well. And I'm not saying I want him fired. I'm not claiming to have any solutions at all. That's what makes it all so frustrating.

I don't think so. I think we see the same infection from pasted years flaring up again…and we're hearing the same talk after the game.

X-Terminator
09-12-2014, 12:12 AM
To what end? Getting slaughtered in the first playoff game because we have absolutely no chance at winning against a real playoff team, especially on the road?

I hate being so pessimistic. I really want to look at something and say, "okay this is correctable with proper coaching." But who is going to be doing that coaching? Who is going to correct the little things that have gone uncorrected for several years now? I know we are not playing up to our potential on offense, but I have no idea what our potential even is on defense. I look at guys who I thought would be playmakers and they just either suck because we can't evaluate talent for shit or they suck because we can't coach for shit. Or both. I wish I had some hope to cling to, but I can't find it.

The problem with the defense is coaching. I can't blame a bunch of rookies and 2nd-year guys - that would be unfair. But it's clear that LeBeau's scheme simply does not work anymore, and he doesn't have any answers to correct it. He just says "correct the mistakes" or "trust the defense." Well, if it's not working, Dick, it's not against the law to try something different.

The man is a legend, but his time has passed. They need some new blood with some new ideas on how to better utilize the talent they have on D, because they do have plenty of it.

As far as the playoffs are concerned, all they need to do is get in, and after that, absolutely anything can happen. It isn't a given that they'd be slaughtered in round 1.

Craic
09-12-2014, 12:21 AM
The problem with the defense is coaching. I can't blame a bunch of rookies and 2nd-year guys - that would be unfair. But it's clear that LeBeau's scheme simply does not work anymore, and he doesn't have any answers to correct it. He just says "correct the mistakes" or "trust the defense." Well, if it's not working, Dick, it's not against the law to try something different.

The man is a legend, but his time has passed. They need some new blood with some new ideas on how to better utilize the talent they have on D, because they do have plenty of it.

As far as the playoffs are concerned, all they need to do is get in, and after that, absolutely anything can happen. It isn't a given that they'd be slaughtered in round 1.

Not sure I agree with you about Lebeau, XT. I don't think it's a matter of learning how to better utilize the talent, I think it's a matter of maturation and game experience. You simply can't put that many rookies and young players on a team and expect it to work in any NFL defense, let alone a complicated one. But, if you uncomplicate it, then you also throw away what makes it special, AND, they will never learn it. Better to take your lumps and grow from it, I think.

HollywoodSteel
09-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Not sure I agree with you about Lebeau, XT. I don't think it's a matter of learning how to better utilize the talent, I think it's a matter of maturation and game experience. You simply can't put that many rookies and young players on a team and expect it to work in any NFL defense, let alone a complicated one. But, if you uncomplicate it, then you also throw away what makes it special, AND, they will never learn it. Better to take your lumps and grow from it, I think.

I think there's merit to what both of you are saying but I don't think it's as simple as any of that either. It's more than likely a perfect storm of several things. A first or second round draft pick gets a one year pass in my opinion. By year two that should be a difference maker or they were badly evaluated or are being badly utilized or a combination of both. Ryan Shazier is the only rookie who is starting on this defense. By now if you tell a first round pick like Jarvis Jones to just go get the QB, and they try to block him with just one guy he should win that battle MANY times during a game. Same with Worilds. And Timmons for damn sure shouldn't be making as many mistakes as he's made this season. If those guys aren't winning their individual battles or are out of position or aren't adjusting or whatever seems to be happening on almost EVERY DEFENSIVE SERIES then something is wrong, either with their talent level or how they've been coached up until the opening whistle of the game.

Steelerette
09-12-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't know how much I really buy that our defense has to be so complicated.

Yes I know LeBeau has more experience than most of the rest of the league's defensive staff combined. He knows how to design some advanced things.

But you design those advanced things when your people can do them. Until then just play some honest, punch-you-in-the-face defense. No other team in the league has this many problems getting young players involved in the action. It's a stupid problem to have.

HollywoodSteel
09-12-2014, 12:50 AM

And, Craic, as much as I respect your opinion about the Steelers and football in general I think it's time to reevaluate your "blame Goodell" quote.

How about: "mommy, what critical game changing facts did we learn from the second Ray Rice tape that we didn't already know from the first one? And why does being charged with nothing and being convicted of nothing mean six games reducible to four, but knocking a woman out cold (when you know for sure he's guilty because he never denied it!) mean two games... until the press informs you that you're a soulless robot whose tail wags the dog, and suddenly you pretend to have something resembling a moral compass?"

"You're an actual human being, honey; blame Roger Goodell!"

Hawkman
09-12-2014, 03:50 AM

I was there....you cannot run the no huddle effectively in that place. You have to have communication. The communication was impossible. Foster was looking back at Ben all night, and smacking Pouncey on the thigh when it was time to hike it in the shotgun. We lost that game because.......-3 in turnovers........-2 in sacks......-5 in penalties.....(THREE FACE MASKS!!!!!REALLY).........and NO DAMN EDGE RUSHING!!!!
Keisel, Troy, Shazier, and Gay looked like the only guys who got the whole Steelers Ravens thing. I almost liked the PF on Troy (weak in my opinion). The bright spots tonight....with out a doubt Bell. He is fun to watch. He is fearless......When Brown came out hurt, with in a minute he was catching passes on the sideline. I think we're close on the offense. The defense has got to figure out what they are. Looked like there was no defensive field general. That the best way to describe it. We really haven't had one since Farrior. No one looks like they're directing traffic on defense....So let's let the whole "no-huddle/coaches arrogance" bull shit go. Would not have helped. They tried it, led to three badly incomplete passes and others.

steelreserve
09-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Bell was one of the few bright spots. That guy can play, and the more I see of him, the more I like. Wheaton also continues to be a pleasant surprise; apparently the kid can actually play too. That's a nice bonus.

The offense as a whole was actually not as bad as it looked, but - Jesus Christ. Talk about the worst-timed mistakes. It actually might have been a close game if we hadn't fumbled away two scores.

Justin Brown looked like a complete piece of dogshit. What is he doing as apparently the #3 receiver? Time to give that a rest. I heard Heyward-Bey was in the game, but maybe I heard it wrong and it was the Invisible Man. Whatever the case, we need a #3 receiver who can actually show up and make a play or two.

Gilbert looked like crap again. You need to do way better than that.

As for the defense ... this is what happens when you try to run the 3-4 without a nose tackle and half a defensive backfield. McLendon peaked at mediocre, and Thomas is a stopgap at best. I wish we'd at least give McCullers a trial run; we have nothing to lose.

It's time to knock off the bullshit and either sign or draft a cornerback next offseason, and not another one of these fifth-round what-if picks. We have a fucked-up defensive line that with luck will become OK, and a fucked-up defensive backfield where time is not working in our favor. Thomas has potential and maybe Allen will be a solid starter, but the rest is not moving in our direction. I was excited for Mitchell, but he has a long way to go. We've got at least two positions to replenish, and if we do it through the draft it won't be immediate. The pass rush won't help cover that up until we have a defensive line that knows what the hell it's doing.

I still see us finishing 9-7 or 10-6 and making the playoffs - remember what a joke of a schedule we have - but this did not look like a championship-caliber team. Neither did the Ravens, for that matter. It was one mediocre team exploiting the hell out of another. Here's to better days.

venom
09-12-2014, 04:40 AM
Who the hell gave Allen that contract ? Should be shot and hanged !!

X-Terminator
09-12-2014, 05:31 AM
Who the hell gave Allen that contract ? Should be shot and hanged !!

The same guy who thought it would be just peachy to sign Gilbert to an extension, who got his ass thoroughly kicked for the 2nd game in a row.

stillers4me
09-12-2014, 05:36 AM
Not sure how you can look at Bell and Antonio Brown's efforts tonight and claim no bright spots. Outside of that --- yeah. Pretty shitty.

It now a fact that AB is a difference maker. And I hope that next year in FA, we stick to the "Steeler Way" and save our money.

stillers4me
09-12-2014, 05:50 AM
And I also think JB totally checked out after that turnover on the first drive. They are going to have to prop him up...........and Heath is in the opportune position to show him how to do that. Let it go, son, and make your next play count.

MrPgh
09-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Cowher had losing seasons in most of his non-playoff years. So I don't see Tomlin getting fired unless this team goes something like 4-12 for a few straight years. Haley was an Art Rooney hire, he'll be given every chance to make it.

Honestly, the entire time he has been here, Tomlin hasn't had complete control over his staff. A condition of being hired was keeping LeBeau. The defensive staff has been kept basically intact, and I don't know if that's because management was basically saying let LeBeau keep who he wants to keep or because Tomlin seriously wanted to keep them. I think Art II fired Arians, and forced Haley on Tomlin.

I'll be totally honest, when LeBeau retired, if they don't allow him to bring in whoever he wants to bring in on defense...or if he wants to fire Haley and Art says no...if I were Tomlin, I'd coach out my contract and coach somewhere else the next year.

Why should Tomlin have to wait for LeBeau to want to retire? As head coach, why can't Tomlin ditch LeBeau when he wants to?

X-Terminator
09-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Why should Tomlin have to wait for LeBeau to want to retire? As head coach, why can't Tomlin ditch LeBeau when he wants to?

Because like he said, it's management that allows LeBeau to stick around. Which again makes me wonder if Tomlin is nothing more than a puppet.

86WARD
09-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Markus Wheaton was a bright spot IMO. The only one IMO.

Like I said in the preseason, there are still too many holes on this team and no depth on the roster.

stillers4me
09-12-2014, 06:16 AM
If Ben plays bad this team is brutal. Maybe the worst in the league. Could be looking at the #1 pick in the draft if Ben doesn't get right.
And given this receiver core, that's no given. Sanders is missed. Colbert will fuck it regardless. Need a new management team.

I think it's Jericho Cotchery that's missed more.

Edman
09-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Tomlin is nothing more than a figurehead.

It's clear he has no influence or power in the organization. No wonder the teams are so consistently ineptly prepared. No wonder the team continues to be undisciplined and junky, they don't even listen to him. It all makes sense now. The Steelers are clearly a poorly-coached team. It's very clear they have no real coach right now, so all we can do now is hope something magical happens (Lol, fat chance).

I want to say it's only Week 2, but I'm very disheartened. For the second week in a row, the team flat out quits on the field. It's one thing to get beaten, it's another to just not try and quit.

I do not want to hear anymore about how Ben Roethlisberger is "underappreciated" and "underrated" in the NFL. Games like this, and ongoing mediocre seasons are why he'll never get respected. What a downright pathetic performance last night. Acting like he's never seen the Ravens before.

If it weren't for Bell and Antonio Brown, the Steelers don't even have an offense right now. No Defense, and an offense with only two real consistent players.

ALLD
09-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Rookie mistakes, turnoversand poor execution. Transitional year, I will not invest too much time in the team this season.

NCSteeler
09-12-2014, 07:02 AM
No excuses on Defense. The graphic that showed Ravens only had 3 people left from their SB defense, yet they still manage to play pretty decent .

Coaching ? Talent evaluation? WTF ever it is. No players winning their battles, disgusting effort. If Lebeaus defense is sooo damn hard to learn, maybe we should learn from that. Plenty of teams in this league field good defenses without a rosetta stone needed, sub rookies who end up being successful before they are 30. I'm flat tired of it. When these Defenses were awesome 2004, 2005, 2008 it was worth waiting for players to mature, but those times are gone. It's time to install a defense that players can play, players can understand and players can be successful .

Dwinsgames
09-12-2014, 07:22 AM
its clear to me they threw money at the Tackle pos in hopes it would make the problem go away ....

the problem with that is two fold ...

1) they threw it at a guy they already had that was not getting the job done prior to getting paid

2) now that they did they will not address it with a draft pick to replace him

that is just 1 of the problems with this team , but you have to start somewhere and in a passing league you have to protect your passer first and foremost in able to compete ...

the second largest problem is we have not been able to duplicate the pressure other teams are putting on our QB .... no consistent pass rush exposes your cover men and when none of those guys are top notch your in trouble ....

I think the linebackers we have are fine .... the problem lies in the fact NOBODY on the D-Line is encompassing a double team thus no linebacker running free or with just a chip ... no pressure = no chance with a 3-4 def because you will be eaten alive by average QBs and we are witnessing just that

throw in the fact that we turned the ball over 3 times and created ZERO you are in a hole you could not fill in with a bulldozer .....

now look at the way the game was called ( we seemingly could not hit anyone without a flag ) and on the other side the opponent was hitting us causing turnovers and no laundry to be found ...
is that the way the league lifts the spirits of the Raven faithful ?

The Goodell factor .... well even if he gets ousted not sure the game ever returns to what it was ....

86WARD
09-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Tomlin is nothing more than a figurehead.

It's clear he has no influence or power in the organization. No wonder the teams are so consistently ineptly prepared. No wonder the team continues to be undisciplined and junky, they don't even listen to him. It all makes sense now. The Steelers are clearly a poorly-coached team. It's very clear they have no real coach right now, so all we can do now is hope something magical happens (Lol, fat chance).

I want to say it's only Week 2, but I'm very disheartened. For the second week in a row, the team flat out quits on the field. It's one thing to get beaten, it's another to just not try and quit.

I do not want to hear anymore about how Ben Roethlisberger is "underappreciated" and "underrated" in the NFL. Games like this, and ongoing mediocre seasons are why he'll never get respected. What a downright pathetic performance last night. Acting like he's never seen the Ravens before.

If it weren't for Bell and Antonio Brown, the Steelers don't even have an offense right now. No Defense, and an offense with only two real consistent players.

Your not off base with your feelings. For the one preseason game that "matters", second half of the Browns game and last night...I think you are seeing the "real" 2014 Steelers.

steelerdude15
09-12-2014, 07:39 AM
No excuses on Defense. The graphic that showed Ravens only had 3 people left from their SB defense, yet they still manage to play pretty decent .

Coaching ? Talent evaluation? WTF ever it is. No players winning their battles, disgusting effort. If Lebeaus defense is sooo damn hard to learn, maybe we should learn from that. Plenty of teams in this league field good defenses without a rosetta stone needed, sub rookies who end up being successful before they are 30. I'm flat tired of it. When these Defenses were awesome 2004, 2005, 2008 it was worth waiting for players to mature, but those times are gone. It's time to install a defense that players can play, players can understand and players can be successful .

The 49ers simplified their defense and look how that turned out. They have a great defense.

Devilsdancefloor
09-12-2014, 08:07 AM
To be honest look at dom capers D it is getting torn up as well this D is old and everyone knows it. If there was a NT maybe we would be better on D, but not sure Big dan Step up!!

Shoes
09-12-2014, 08:11 AM
To be honest look at dom capers D it is getting torn up as well this D is old and everyone knows it. If there was a NT maybe we would be better on D, but not sure Big dan Step up!!

But we still have no pass rush.

X-Terminator
09-12-2014, 08:26 AM

Actually the Steelers and Packers are mirror images of each other. Both have explosive capability on offense and neither can play defense.

HollywoodSteel
09-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Actually the Steelers and Packers are mirror images of each other. Both have explosive capability on offense and neither can play defense.

The difference is the Packers have an offense that actually translates the explosiveness into points. Put the packers in the redzone, what are you gonna put your money on happening? Put the Steelers in the redzone, same question?

HollywoodSteel
09-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Also the difference is the Packers will probably win their division because they'll score enough to do it. Put them in the playoffs with one or more home games and they have a chance to go all the way. We don't because we can't stop anyone and it's hit or miss if we can outscore anyone.

Plus they have at least ONE playmaker on defense who can kick someone's ass on almost every play. C. Mathews gives you a chance at a difference making play at any time. We have no one like that. Shazier has the potential, if used right, but he's a rookie who will make more mistakes than splash plays, and maybe get disheartened by his teammates lack of heart.

It takes more than talent to win with our D. It takes balls and brains. With Potsy and Harrison in the line up you had both at all times. Having Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith in front of them didn't hurt either. And then you could have Troy being unpredictable and freelancing. But lose the balls and the brains and it all falls apart.

And our offense is just a head scratcher. Put John Gruden in charge of this team and we score 30 points a game easy. (I'm not saying that's a good idea, especially not during the season. It would take a year to revamp the offensive system yet again.) You know, I think sometimes Todd Haley has the right idea about getting out of Ben's hands quickly, but only because AB can do anything in space. And our running game is now solid. I just don't get why we can't put it all together, drive after drive. If we use the no huddle and utilize play action (which works 99% of the time for us) I think we could score with anyone. I just don't understand. Also we need Ben at the top of his game EVERY week. EVERY drive. He's too talented for this. I don't get why he can't be as consistent as Brady or Rogers or Brees. Physically he's got more to work with than any of them and he has the heart of a winner. He's also not stupid. He can recognize defenses and make adjustments.

Maybe we need to start designing plays to get him on the move. More bootlegs or something. I think when he's moving it flips a switch in him that turns him into a super hero. I don't want to get him killed, but I do want to use his talents to scare the hell out of defenses like he used to. He's the one QB that scares Joe Haden because no amount of watching tape can prepare you for what Ben does when he's on the move. You saw what happened in the Browns game on the one play where that happened. Ben was super, AB got away from Haden and it was a TD. That is ever CB's nightmare.

I don't think we'll go 4-12. That would be too easy and get us a draft pick that could actually be a super star. No we'll get our hope up at some point in the season, like always, and then have our hopes crushed once again by the football Gods. It doesn't get to be any other way.

steelreserve
09-12-2014, 10:36 AM
It's hard for me to believe that the team is poorly coached when we have FOUR head coaches on the staff, but that's exactly what it looks like.

The defense is obviously round-hole-square-pegging it again. The defensive backfield is not going to do well without a good pass rush; the pass rush is not going to happen without a good defensive line; you are not going to have a good defensive line with no nose tackle. Casey Hampton retired two years ago and his game started slipping well before that - did nobody notice that important fact? We need to stop putting all our hopes on late-round project guys who won't be ready for years, and that goes for both NT and CB, arguably the two most important positions on the defense. We've farted around for years drafting nothing but OL, DE and LB, and now we do not have the luxury of wait-and-see anymore. Yes, the Shazier pick was the BPA and probably gave us one heck of a player, but our glaring weaknesses were on full display last night, and every year that we don't address them it's going to be a long season.

Mojouw
09-12-2014, 10:51 AM
No one on this defense wins their individual battles. Maybe Cortez Allen did, since Flacco hit Steve Smith all night. OR perhaps the plan was to simply beat Ike Taylor like a drum. I don't know -- didn't always see who was in coverage.

As to the no huddle - have you seen this team pass protect? They are NO BETTER than previous years. The no huddle will get Ben killed. That is why they are not running it. It isn't some grand conspiracy.

We all need to admit that the reincarnated ghost of Vince Lombardi and Paul Brown and Tom Landry and Chuck Noll could take over coaching this team and not much would change. No matter what adjustments you make to a 3-4 defense, without a pass rush of the edge it will not work -- at all. This team has no credible pass rush. Fix that, and this is a decent enough team. Without that, expect more of the same.

I'm going to say it on every thread. Not because I am a huge Tomlin and Leabeau supporter. But because blame needs to be placed where it is deserved. Right now, Jarvis Jones and Jason Worilds are the worst pair of 3-4 rush linebackers I have ever seen suit up for this team in the past 25 years. Cam Thomas is terrible. Kiesel is still playing his way into shape. Heyward is getting no help. Shazier is a bit mentally overwhelmed. Timmons is trying to do too much by covering up for others and ending up doing nothing. Allen and Taylor are being asked to cover for far too long because there is no rush. No DB can win against a NFL QB and an NFL WR consistently when that duo has 4+ seconds to let the play develop. And let's be honest - Mitchell has, so far, not been worth a penny of his fancy FA contract.

I'm less concerned about the offense. Their problem is that after Brown, there is almost zero experience at the WR position and it showed last night when Brown was out. There is a ton of talent, but they are simply lacking in game experience. Also, the o line still basically stinks. Or, perhaps more specifically, Marcus Gilbert's best move is to fall to the ground and hope someone trips over his slow, fat, uncoordinated ass.

Steelerette
09-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Yeah. For people griping about the Gilbert and Allen extensions...

The Gilbert extension was indeed stupid. But even after last night I don't have a problem with the Allen one. He wasn't the problem last night. He wasn't a superstar out there but we didn't pay him to be one.

I actually had a little optimism that Cam Thomas would be passable as a nose tackle. My bad. He was streaky in SD but at least he dominated *sometimes*. You have to ask yourself - how much of it is because he's done, how much of it is because LeBeau's Defense is complex, and how much of it is because LeBeau's Defense is *too* complex? Really at some point you have to play down to the basics, and all the NT is really supposed to do is eat two blockers.

I'm conflicted. Part of me says there's nothing to lose by trying out McCullers. Part of me says, maybe he's too slow and the play will just go around him. Depending what McLendon's injury is like, we might get to find out anyways.

As far as Pass Rush goes, I'm liking what I see out of Jarvis this season. A problem has been Worilds. I'm happy with our ILB. I'm reasonably sure that once Tuitt is ready to step in, that Tuitt and Heyward is going to be just fine for years.

That leaves the problem on D squarely at Nose Tackle, with a little OLB. Yes yes, secondary, but we have good young safeties and it seems as though our cornerbacks are designed not to be the star but to benefit from the pass rush and safety help. So you have to point at, like Mojouw said, the pass rush.

Steelerette
09-12-2014, 11:41 AM
On offense yes Moore's injury is a pain but the real problem is Gilbert flat on his back. You try to draft RTs. Gilbert looked like a backup and Adams turns out to be a bust. It happens. Even a lot of first round OL don't work out in this league. But you move on. Why give Gilbert the extension instead of moving on? Did Munchak have some kind of hunch? We already had the body of evidence on Gilbert.

Note that I'm not ragging on Munch. I still think we have good things to look forward to with him - but clearly he's not going to work any miracles with some of the "talent" he inherited. Is it time to give Wesley Johnson a try at RT?

Hell, what's Flozell Adams doing? Can you cut a guy after week 2? I mean for crying out loud we're even fine at left tackle and we're getting killed because of RT which, even if you can't get good downfield blocking out of, should at least be easy enough to fill for pass blocking?

steel striker
09-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Like Bignasty said the defense with no pass rush and, can't stop the run we are in big trouble. The offense was not good last night except Bell & Brown only bright spots worth any mention. Two games no defensive takeaways and, Ben was not comfortable at all. I know playing at Baltimore is not a day in the park but, they have to play better. The way this defense is playing the offense needs to put op 30-35 points a game. This could be one long season for our steelers.

NCSteeler
09-12-2014, 01:22 PM
No one on this defense wins their individual battles. Maybe Cortez Allen did, since Flacco hit Steve Smith all night. OR perhaps the plan was to simply beat Ike Taylor like a drum. I don't know -- didn't always see who was in coverage.

As to the no huddle - have you seen this team pass protect? They are NO BETTER than previous years. The no huddle will get Ben killed. That is why they are not running it. It isn't some grand conspiracy.

We all need to admit that the reincarnated ghost of Vince Lombardi and Paul Brown and Tom Landry and Chuck Noll could take over coaching this team and not much would change. No matter what adjustments you make to a 3-4 defense, without a pass rush of the edge it will not work -- at all. This team has no credible pass rush. Fix that, and this is a decent enough team. Without that, expect more of the same.

I'm going to say it on every thread. Not because I am a huge Tomlin and Leabeau supporter. But because blame needs to be placed where it is deserved. Right now, Jarvis Jones and Jason Worilds are the worst pair of 3-4 rush linebackers I have ever seen suit up for this team in the past 25 years. Cam Thomas is terrible. Kiesel is still playing his way into shape. Heyward is getting no help. Shazier is a bit mentally overwhelmed. Timmons is trying to do too much by covering up for others and ending up doing nothing. Allen and Taylor are being asked to cover for far too long because there is no rush. No DB can win against a NFL QB and an NFL WR consistently when that duo has 4+ seconds to let the play develop. And let's be honest - Mitchell has, so far, not been worth a penny of his fancy FA contract.

I'm less concerned about the offense. Their problem is that after Brown, there is almost zero experience at the WR position and it showed last night when Brown was out. There is a ton of talent, but they are simply lacking in game experience. Also, the o line still basically stinks. Or, perhaps more specifically, Marcus Gilbert's best move is to fall to the ground and hope someone trips over his slow, fat, uncoordinated ass.

That is far from accurate. the no huddle lightens the pass rush , it wears a defense down. And we have been told all offseason that this particular groups really accents the no huddle well , because they can pass or run equally effective. No huddle, doesn't mean 7 step drops and deep passing.

Mojouw
09-12-2014, 02:02 PM
That is far from accurate. the no huddle lightens the pass rush , it wears a defense down. And we have been told all offseason that this particular groups really accents the no huddle well , because they can pass or run equally effective. No huddle, doesn't mean 7 step drops and deep passing.

And Ben calls deeper routes than Haley therefore increasing his chances of getting hit. Also, who would they run the no huddle with? Wheaton, Brown, and DHB? Antonio Brown was out for a significant portion and they are so thin at WR now, that they are splitting Bell out wide.

My point is that there is not a grand conspiracy by the coaching staff to not use the no huddle to humble Ben or achieve some directive issued by the Rooneys. This is not a good football team right now. It is also not a deep roster.

polamalubeast
09-12-2014, 02:48 PM
If the Steelers miss the playoffs again, I hope he will have big changes in the team.Coach and front office and it includes Tomlin and Colbert.

I know with Cowher, the team missed the playoffs three years in a row, but in 2000, the Steelers had finished the season 9-4 and they finished 13-3 in 2001.

With Cowher, the team had made the playoffs in his first six years and 10 times in 15 years, even if you included the seasons from 1998 to 2000.And the team had made the AFC title game three times in his first six years.

What I liked the most with the teams of Cowher is that his teams were always tough.Right now, I have never seen the steelers soft like that, and Tomlin deserves to be criticized for thatIt is very embarrassing

Mojouw
09-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Name the player on the Steelers defense capable of generating turnovers? Name the player on the Steelers defense capable of altering an offensive game-plan?

The answer to both those questions is basically no one. I don't think that there is much Tomlin, Lebeau, Lake, Butler, Porter, etc can do with a group of players that are average as a unit. We are so used to a well above average defensive unit, that we forget just how big the gulf between average (say 14-18 ranked in the league) and top 4 really is.

The coaching staff is not the problem. This team is not undergoing a reloading or a retooling. It is a rebuild. It will be painful and difficult to watch, but they are likely at least one more draft class away from contention.

As for soft, did we all watch the same game last night? How many goal line stands after being handed a short field by the offense and/or special teams did that D have last night? 3? 4? They played well considering they were on the field for damn near forever after a short week. The defense is not soft. It is simply unable to exert enough pressure to cause mistakes by the offensive unit that lead to turnovers or punts.

polamalubeast
09-12-2014, 03:24 PM
I not blame Lebeau on it.

I blame the bad draft than the Steelers had in recent years.The drafts under Tomlin / Colbert are worse than the drafts under Cowher / Colbert and that's a fact.

If the game against the Eagles in the preseason and the last six quarters is not a fluke, the Steelers will finish 6-10 at best(even with the easy schedule) and the Steelers will have to make big changes in this team.