PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs Browns Film Review: Marcus Gilbert Pass Protection Struggles

polamalubeast
09-10-2014, 08:58 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/steelers-vs-browns-film-review-marcus-gilbert-pass-protection-struggles/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Dwinsgames
09-10-2014, 09:08 AM
did not watch the link but he was solely responsible from my count for 2 sacks and 3 pressures as it happened live I fear the link may make it worse and not sure I have the stomach for worse ....

GBMelBlount
09-10-2014, 09:11 AM
As of right now it looks like Gilbert is a POS and went right back to the buffet after signing his contract.

Please, no more Chardonnay sipping linemen.

Steeldude
09-10-2014, 11:15 AM
So what it means is the Steelers will give him an even bigger contract next season. That's after they extend Adams.

steelreserve
09-10-2014, 11:45 AM
I don't think you can blame him for the sack on the fumbled snap; ordinarily the QB could've stayed where he was and been fine.

Overall, not a good performance, though. I hope it turns out to just be opening-week jitters, or one bad game, or something. 6 years of this at $5 million per is not what I am looking for.

TMC
09-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Cleveland is not exactly an easy team to block. I am not trying to defend Gilbert, but what Cleveland does is rotate in defensive linemen, all with different skills, and all pretty solid at creating pressure. On one snap, you get Kruger. On the next snap, it is Sheard. On another snap, you get Bryant. Kruger is a 6'4"-270 pound guy that has a pretty good blend of speed and power. Rushing the passer is what he does. Bryant is another 6'4"-265 pound speed edge rusher. Then, you mix in Sheard, who is a 6'4"-270 guy with good speed and better power. All have different styles. Bryant wants to press the edge. Kruger likes the edge, but also shows the ability to get back inside and can use some power. Sheard likes power, but combines solid quickness to his game.

That is a lot to prepare for in week one. When you face other teams, say, like the Ravens, you get Elvis Dumervil or Suggs for 90% of your snaps. So, your focus on the one single player is a little different. When teams face the Steelers, the RT has to worry about a DE and Worilds. As a player, you can prepare for less.

People keep talking about how with Archer in, teams have to prepare for him and it helps the team because they have more to worry about....kind of like Cleveland with its vast array of edge rushers.

Again, not making excuses for Gilbert, it was a poor performance, just stating I would not put all my eggs in this basket. It was one game.

Edman
09-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Gilbert taking the fall for what is basically a really downgraded and shackled offense in the second half. Not excusing his performance. He sucked for sure, but the whole Offense sucked.

Run Run Pass, 3 and Out. No Screens. No plays to throw Cleveland off balance like in the first half.

I'll wait another week before declaring this guy sucks.

86WARD
09-12-2014, 07:45 AM
After last night...there's a trend in 2014.

Mojouw
09-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Marcus Gilbert is still terrible.

I said that Munchak wasn't magic and couldn't work miracles.

He can't make Gilbert not trip over his own damn feet and not be a mental midget.