PDA

View Full Version : Defense seeks answers to no-huddle

polamalubeast
09-09-2014, 04:13 PM
The defense's two worst outings of 2014 have come against teams using hurry-up no-huddle
Scouting the Steelers’ defense isn’t all that complicated of a proposition from strong safety Troy Polamalu’s perspective in the secondary.

“What we’ve shown is if you want to huddle and play against us we’ll do fine, but this no-huddle (offense) has given us some problems,” Polamalu said. “We have to do something to rectify that. Coach (Dick) LeBeau is the genius of all defensive coordinators, and he’ll figure it out.”

The Eagles’ no-huddle approach confounded the Steelers’ defense throughout a 31-21 preseason loss on Aug. 21 in Philadelphia. And the Browns were able to erase a 27-3 halftime deficit on their first four second-half possessions in Sunday’s regular season opener by switching to the no-huddle offense.

The Steelers managed stops on Cleveland’s final two possessions, the last of which lost 11 yards in three snaps, and they were ultimately able to escape with a 30-27 victory.

“The problems attending (to) no-huddle are the same,” LeBeau maintained. “They’re never going to change. They’re certainly not unsolvable. We have to do a better job keeping our poise more than anything, and that’s what we’re working on. We’ll definitely be better on that.”

Coach Mike Tomlin cited a lack of defensive communication as a factor in Cleveland’s second-half success on offense.

“Communication is integral to execution and I thought we could have communicated better,” Tomlin said.

“It was a big issue,” LeBeau agreed. “We became a little bit rattled, and we can’t allow that to happen, and we’re working on that. To me that was the biggest issue. We didn’t give ourselves a chance and it showed.

read more

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Defense-seeks-answers-to-no-huddle/5053e3bb-9415-4522-8bfb-6a3c89c6cb11?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Count Steeler
09-09-2014, 06:27 PM
It didn't help either that our offense went turtle and didn't give the D a chance to catch their breath.

polamalubeast
09-09-2014, 06:34 PM
It didn't help either that our offense went turtle and didn't give the D a chance to catch their breath.

It not help, but it's not an excuse to give up 3 TD and 1 FG in four drives in a row.....The 3 each TD of the Browns lasted less than 3 minutes too!

Count Steeler
09-09-2014, 06:39 PM
It not help, but it's not an excuse to give up 3 TD and 1 FG in four drives in a row.....The 3 each TD of the Browns lasted less than 3 minutes too!

Precisely my point. The O had almost 400 yards in the first half and then just fizzled. It took the Steelers too long to figure out that the Browns were not going to lay down and die. The play calling in the second half was atrocious. Too many 3 and outs and that lets the other team keep building momentum.

Yes, our defense needs help against the no huddle, but aren't they practicing against our O? This should not be new to them.

polamalubeast
09-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Precisely my point. The O had almost 400 yards in the first half and then just fizzled. It took the Steelers too long to figure out that the Browns were not going to lay down and die. The play calling in the second half was atrocious. Too many 3 and outs and that lets the other team keep building momentum.

Yes, our defense needs help against the no huddle, but aren't they practicing against our O? This should not be new to them.

Yeah,I agree on this

Jaucer
09-09-2014, 07:00 PM
As pointed out by someone in another thread, there are a lot of young guys playing D. They just don't have the experience to be able to figure out exactly where they should be and what they need to do in the shorter time permitted by the no-huddle. That confusion slows them down and gives the O a big advantage. It's been said multiple times that the D is going to take until about midway through the season to really start playing like the ability they have. Give it time. As long as the O is scoring big time they will be OK even though there will be times when it infuriates us fans at their inconsistency.

Craic
09-09-2014, 07:14 PM

But again (again, because I've said this on some other thread to someone else), I think you're missing the reason why they turtled. Special teams penalties put them very deep in their own zone. We had little room to maneuver except to be safe and run the ball. Especially with our punter booming punts, it was a better choice not to risk turnovers there, if you go by the numbers.

Even as I say that however, I also have to admit that I wondered why we didn't call a play action on the second down on the second series of downs, with the way their D was lined up.

polamalubeast
09-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Dick LeBeau: No-huddle has 'rattled' Steelers' D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000392440/article/dick-lebeau-nohuddle-has-rattled-steelers-d?campaign=Twitter_atl

Bluecoat96
09-11-2014, 11:15 AM
I think it will take a while before the D shows better results against an up tempo offense. Not so much because they're unprepared, but more because there's so many new faces thinking too much on the field.

Psycho Ward 86
09-11-2014, 11:05 PM
i think the defense should be seeking the answer to not suck balls. this defense has been looking sleepier and sleepier for 4 straight seasons.

ive been a long time defender of dick lebeau during those times, but lets get it straight. dick lebeau's ZBD is predicated on the importance of:

1) stopping the run
2) sound tackling
3) keeping the LB's clean
4) letting the turnovers and pressure come with the induction of #'s 1-3

We arent able to do any of those for years now. This defense no longer bullies and intimidates anyone. It never feels like we're on the cusp of creating a turnover or pressure. So why on earth would be run the same things schematically if we cant do those things? smh....

inb4 "omg shush its only week 2."

katmandu
09-12-2014, 12:03 AM
This defense no longer bullies and intimidates anyone. It never feels like we're on the cusp of creating a turnover or pressure. The style of play that used to be has been NEUTERED by the NFL.

Now, they just play RATTLED !

Shoes
09-12-2014, 12:14 AM
i think the defense should be seeking the answer to not suck balls. this defense has been looking sleepier and sleepier for 4 straight seasons.

ive been a long time defender of dick lebeau during those times, but lets get it straight. dick lebeau's ZBD is predicated on the importance of:

1) stopping the run
2) sound tackling
3) keeping the LB's clean
4) letting the turnovers and pressure come with the induction of #'s 1-3

We arent able to do any of those for years now. This defense no longer bullies and intimidates anyone. It never feels like we're on the cusp of creating a turnover or pressure. So why on earth would be run the same things schematically if we cant do those things? smh....

inb4 "omg shush its only week 2."

Because when you get older most people get set in their ways and change is difficult. I can see this in myself and I'm only sixty.

Steelerette
09-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Well, Baltimore mostly played the "yes-huddle" and the Steelers were still rattled.

86WARD
09-12-2014, 06:18 AM
So no answers to the no or yes huddle...hmmm. Wonder what Tomlin has to say about that?

tube517
09-13-2014, 10:58 AM
The problem has been there since 2001 when the Bungles figured it out. Even the Iggles exposed it in preseason and the Stains copied it. Bert didn't do no huddle but he they did the short passing game and ate them up.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6755136-74/steelers-defense-browns#axzz3DD9mz4Li

I can only remember one adjustment to the defensive strategy and that was in 2011 vs the Cheatriots*. Why has this been ignored? I am no expert and I know alot of you know more than me.

fansince'76
09-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I think it will take a while before the D shows better results against an up tempo offense. Not so much because they're unprepared, but more because there's so many new faces thinking too much on the field.

As pointed out by someone in another thread, there are a lot of young guys playing D. They just don't have the experience to be able to figure out exactly where they should be and what they need to do in the shorter time permitted by the no-huddle. That confusion slows them down and gives the O a big advantage. It's been said multiple times that the D is going to take until about midway through the season to really start playing like the ability they have. Give it time. As long as the O is scoring big time they will be OK even though there will be times when it infuriates us fans at their inconsistency.

Exactly. People have been screaming for an infusion of new blood on defense for several years now. Well, now they have it and they're just going to have to be patient until all these new players get their legs under them.

polamalubeast
09-13-2014, 11:23 AM
The Packers use the same scheme on defense and their defense is terrible since 2011.

Many Packers fans want Dom Capers be fired

Psycho Ward 86
09-13-2014, 11:50 AM
The problem has been there since 2001 when the Bungles figured it out. Even the Iggles exposed it in preseason and the Stains copied it. Bert didn't do no huddle but he they did the short passing game and ate them up.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6755136-74/steelers-defense-browns#axzz3DD9mz4Li

I can only remember one adjustment to the defensive strategy and that was in 2011 vs the Cheatriots*. Why has this been ignored? I am no expert and I know alot of you know more than me.

This. A thousand times this. What a great game we played against a very good offense.

Shoes
09-13-2014, 12:11 PM

Because Dick isn't going to change and I don't think he is able to at this point in time, so we'll continue on believing its some kind of football virtue to boast about having the hardest D in the NFL to learn. He should have retired after the last SB imo, leaving the game at the top.

Mojouw
09-13-2014, 12:18 PM
The game against the Patriots that everyone is referring to relied on 2 things. Excellent man coverage on the receivers and a pass rush created through individual players beating their blocker, not complex blitzes that schemed to overload the protection.

Anyone think we can do that now?

Living in Wisco, I don't hear many calls for Capers head. The Packers D isn't that bad, just a bit soft against the run. They also lack playmakers up front and on the edges. Would rather have their DB's though!

As for the spread the Steelers defense out and beat it to death with a thousand short completions and stretch runs - well every scheme has its weakness and that is the Steelers. IF that weakness could be exposed when HOF caliber players were at key positions, what the heck does anyone expect to happen with rookies and average level players?

Shoes
09-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Lack of Sacks, Turnovers Already A Big Concern For Steelers 2014 Defense.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/lack-sacks-turnovers-already-big-concern-steelers-2014-defense/

polamalubeast
09-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Lack of Sacks, Turnovers Already A Big Concern For Steelers 2014 Defense.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/lack-sacks-turnovers-already-big-concern-steelers-2014-defense/

No pass rush,no turnovers and can't stop the run

Mojouw
09-13-2014, 03:11 PM
They also can't tackle:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/steelers-defense-allowed-223-self-inflicted-yards-ravens-loss/

Count Steeler
09-13-2014, 03:44 PM
I don't know how long I have said this, we HAVE to win the trenches. Each man has to win their battle.

Do our coaches treat players differently? Do Beachum, Pouncy and DeCastro get different treatment than Gilbert? We have a problem in scouting OL and DL talent. We miss more often than we hit.

One pet peeve I do have with Tomlin is the personnel choices. Tuitt, McCullers and Moats have been under utilized on D. We have seen 2 games where Thomas, and Worilds have been disappointing. I would expect to see McCullers dressed (especially with Mclendon hurt) and Tuitt and Moats to get more reps. Mitchell should also be feeling some heat for his reps.