PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: First impressions of Ben Roethlisberger

fansince'76
09-07-2014, 02:43 AM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Brett Keisel has followed Ben Roethlisberger's career as closely as anyone. The defensive end already had two years on the roster when the Steelers drafted their quarterback in 2004.

Keisel, who would become friends with Roethlisberger, recalled two first "wow" moments for him that opened his eyes to just what the Steelers had in their young quarterback.

The first came during a practice.

"I was just a couple years older than him, and I made a nice rush, and he just took off away from me," Keisel said. "I said, 'This big boy can run.' "

The other came in the fifth game of his rookie season -- his third start -- against Cleveland at home. The score was tied, 7-7, in the first quarter. The Steelers had second down on the Browns 6.

"The pocket got smashed," Keisel said, giving the play-by-play 10 years later. "And he did a couple whoop-de-doos and spins and tiptoes and then just gave everything he had to get into the end zone, and then he had to dive between two guys coming to smash him.

"When that happened, all of us were like, 'Wow!' "

There would be many more such moments over the next decade, and they hope more to come.

Read more: On the Steelers: First impressions of Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/09/07/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-family-recall-first-impressions-of-Ben-Roethlisberger/stories/201409070226)

fansince'76
09-07-2014, 03:02 AM
Appreciate watching him while we still have him, folks. Ditto for Troy.

Butch
09-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Great Post!!!

I will always remember his rookie year game against Dallas. We were losing in the 4th quarter and he brought us back for the win. At that moment I knew we had something Special.

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Appreciate watching him while we still have him, folks. Ditto for Troy.

I agree 100%, especially for Ben. For all that he's done for the Steelers, he seems to be very much under-appreciated by a lot of Steeler fans.

Kittyfish
09-07-2014, 11:29 AM
^^^ I agree.

I feel very lucky that I became a football fan in 2001 and was able to witness the entire Polamalu/Roethlisberger era - I admit I am spoiled and never had to suffer through the down years. I feel double lucky that when I finally got the grace and beauty of the game, I was living in Western PA and the logical choice of a team to follow was the Steelers - a team with a history and ownership to be proud of. I have lived in MD/Washington area and Atlanta so I could have been forced to be a Redskins or Falcons fan. What if I had moved to Cleveland instead of PA? The horror! I shudder to think of it.

tube517
09-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Drama Queen Game Manager. :chuckle:

Seriously, I had to suffer through the pregame shows today as we went to the local Steelers bar to watch. I couldn't hear the audio but the stats showed Ben's compared to the media's top 4 (Manning, Marsha, Discount Double Checker and Brees). No doubt, Ben is a top tier franchise/elite QB. I hope he can stay healthy and stay around for another SB run. He has never gotten any credit by the national media at all. He gets routinely dismissed in any discussion of the great current QBs.

Count Steeler
09-07-2014, 06:43 PM
His redemption is coming. May not be this year, but it is coming.

steel striker
09-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Ben is a special player and, never gets the props he deserves. He showed this mnay times this game and, like FS76 said enjoy him Troy while we have them.

ALLD
09-08-2014, 10:01 AM
When Terry Bradshaw is gone, Ben will get the interviews as greatest living Steeler QB.

Edman
09-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Ben needs to win an MVP award. Marsha, Double-Check, and even Bert has one.

Ben is 32. The thirties are the time when Quarterbacks truly reach their zenith. Elway finally had his breakthrough in his thirties, and if the first half yesterday is any indication, Ben finally is finally getting into his own too in Haley's Offense. He's clearly a lot more comfortable than he was last year. I hope he keeps it up.

The Steelers really need to get off this schnide and return to the playoffs.