PDA

View Full Version : Steelers and CB Cortez Allen reach agreement on four-year extension

polamalubeast
09-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Steelers and CB Cortez Allen reach agreement on four-year extension with a base value of over $26 million.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/508407477403017216

https://twitter.com/dlolleyor/status/508407760204345344

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers are true to their word - use savings from pushing Big Ben extension to 2015 to extend Allen, Gilbert and Suisham.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/508407666113536000

86WARD
09-06-2014, 07:35 PM
nice.

Hindes204
09-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Word

GBMelBlount
09-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Cool

polamalubeast
09-06-2014, 07:49 PM
The Steelers seem to have learned from their mistakes in this offseason.It was a mistake to not have signed Keenan Lewis....But this is true that the steelers have more cap space now.

86WARD
09-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Get Ben done by this time next year and things are looking up.

polamalubeast
09-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Get Ben done by this time next year and things are looking up.

And Worilds if he is great this year

jb500ex
09-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Wait things are looking up because we just paid a guy who's never had a good season 6.5 mill a year.

fansince'76
09-06-2014, 08:04 PM
$6.5 mil per year is a good price point for Allen. Good deal for both sides, IMO.

polamalubeast
09-06-2014, 08:06 PM
$6.5 mil per year is a good price point for Allen. Good deal for both sides, IMO.

In fact,this is 5 years for 26 millions

- - - Updated - - -

Wait things are looking up because we just paid a guy who's never had a good season 6.5 mill a year.

Keenan Lewis......

fansince'76
09-06-2014, 08:08 PM

Keenan Lewis......

Ignore him. Troll boy expects a shutdown CB in the Revis/Sherman mold for $6.5 mil a year. Not happening.

Dwinsgames
09-06-2014, 08:16 PM
I like it

Shoes
09-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Good news, but i don't think I would sign Worilds next year, even if he has a good year. Consistency and injury come to mind.

Steelerette
09-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Good show.

Count Steeler
09-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Good to have this signed, sealed and delivered.

st33lersguy
09-06-2014, 10:15 PM
He better improve and play up to that. They are so scared about repeating the Keenan Lewis situation that they are banking on him and Gilbert to arrive in their 4th year. Really hope this strategy doesn't backfire. I also hope the guaranteed money is small

Devilsdancefloor
09-06-2014, 10:28 PM
i like it a lot! go gett'em Tez

Steelerette
09-06-2014, 10:28 PM
To be fair it's not like they went into it blind. It's a gamble yes, but these are the kinds of gamble that you take. We saw him doing a lot of the right things in stretches, and it's not unreasonable to think he can take the next step and be a good solid corner for us, and that's what we need - top tier talent is nice but we have a history of working around that, solid play will be quite good enough.

st33lersguy
09-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Would much rather them focus more on extending the face of the franchise and focus less on paying players above what they have played up to and bank on future production that may not come true just to avoid another Keenan Lewis.

fansince'76
09-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Would much rather them focus more on extending the face of the franchise and focus less on paying players above what they have played up to and bank on future production that may not come true just to avoid another Keenan Lewis.

Allen pretty much got the going rate for a starting CB. He's making less than half of what the best CBs are making. What we really need is for the front seven to step it up and generate a pass rush again.

The team has also appeared to have learned its lesson from the Woodley situation - this contract won't cripple us years down the road if Allen doesn't perform and it will be much easier to cut bait much sooner if that does happen.

steelreserve
09-06-2014, 10:52 PM
This is a better deal than I thought we'd get. I figured his "young up-and-coming" status would push his asking price into the $8M range easy. We really did get just about everything done that I'd hoped for this offseason, and then some.

Steelerette
09-06-2014, 11:59 PM
This is a better deal than I thought we'd get. I figured his "young up-and-coming" status would push his asking price into the $8M range easy. We really did get just about everything done that I'd hoped for this offseason, and then some.
Besides landing that NT, eh?

I'm hoping Allen really steps it up now - and I think he can. Between Gay and Ike we just have to get the other side figured out. It will be interesting to see how many chances Webb gets, if Tomlin makes him a pet project.

X-Terminator
09-07-2014, 02:17 AM
Looks like a good deal. Hope he performs up to that level - the talent seems to be there, but he lacks consistency.

Craic
09-07-2014, 07:14 AM
Looks like a good deal. Hope he performs up to that level - the talent seems to be there, but he lacks consistency.

If I remember right, that was Ike Taylor at this point in his career as well, wasn't it? Took Cowher benching him his last season to change that.

TMC
09-07-2014, 08:24 AM
I see Keenan Lewis getting floated around when it comes to Allen and I get it, but I think there are some similarities that have to be noticed as well as some differences that cannot be overlooked.

Lewis played 4 seasons and left. He received $26.2 million over 5 seasons as a free agent. Allen played 3 years and is entering his 4th, over the next 5 years, he will receive about the same money as Lewis did when he hit free agency. Now, Allen's deal is a little better because he gets it a year sooner and does not have to play out the final year of the rookie deal. That sweetens it.

But, Lewis was signed in a down corner market. It has since rebounded strong. The going rate for upper end corners is well over $10 million. The cap is larger. And, Allen's agent can point towards Lewis' deal and state you kept my guy and let him walk because of my guy. So, with all that factored in, I think it is a solid deal.

Both Lewis and Allen are in pretty similar places at these points of their career. To me, the difference is pretty stark. Lewis is an excellent #2 corner. That is kind of the good news and the rub. He is not going to stomp his feet and stammer around about being the best corner in the NFL because he is a #2. His lack of true long speed means he needs to play with the safety over the top and this limits his value, but he plays pretty well in this role. That also kills his value because you are not going to trot Lewis out and put him in man situations without help over the top.

They did with Allen. Allen has the feel of that #1 corner. He can get up in the face of the WR and play bump and run. He took those duties from Taylor. He can play on that island. Granted, he has some mistakes, but he has shown the ability to do it, something Lewis did not show. It gives him more value. It means you can flip Taylor to the other side, give him that help over the top. You could likely get a few more seasons out of Taylor because of Allen's ability to play without that safety net. To me, it is a lot harder to find guys like Allen than it is to find guys like Lewis, granted Lewis is really balling now, but he is still limited.

Dwinsgames
09-07-2014, 08:43 AM
I see Keenan Lewis getting floated around when it comes to Allen and I get it, but I think there are some similarities that have to be noticed as well as some differences that cannot be overlooked.

Lewis played 4 seasons and left. He received $26.2 million over 5 seasons as a free agent. Allen played 3 years and is entering his 4th, over the next 5 years, he will receive about the same money as Lewis did when he hit free agency. Now, Allen's deal is a little better because he gets it a year sooner and does not have to play out the final year of the rookie deal. That sweetens it.

But, Lewis was signed in a down corner market. It has since rebounded strong. The going rate for upper end corners is well over $10 million. The cap is larger. And, Allen's agent can point towards Lewis' deal and state you kept my guy and let him walk because of my guy. So, with all that factored in, I think it is a solid deal.

Both Lewis and Allen are in pretty similar places at these points of their career. To me, the difference is pretty stark. Lewis is an excellent #2 corner. That is kind of the good news and the rub. He is not going to stomp his feet and stammer around about being the best corner in the NFL because he is a #2. His lack of true long speed means he needs to play with the safety over the top and this limits his value, but he plays pretty well in this role. That also kills his value because you are not going to trot Lewis out and put him in man situations without help over the top.

They did with Allen. Allen has the feel of that #1 corner. He can get up in the face of the WR and play bump and run. He took those duties from Taylor. He can play on that island. Granted, he has some mistakes, but he has shown the ability to do it, something Lewis did not show. It gives him more value. It means you can flip Taylor to the other side, give him that help over the top. You could likely get a few more seasons out of Taylor because of Allen's ability to play without that safety net. To me, it is a lot harder to find guys like Allen than it is to find guys like Lewis, granted Lewis is really balling now, but he is still limited.

good post and to go a step further Allen has advanced more rapidly than Lewis did based on who / what they where the day they where drafted till this same point in their careers ... it took Lewis 3+ years to see the field other than ST duty ... Allen has been a contributor from year 2 on

Count Steeler
09-07-2014, 09:58 AM
One nagging point about Lewis that seems to be forgotten. He wanted to go to New Orleans. I find it surprising that the Steelers did not even attempt to offer him a contract. I would think that they would have at least tried to explore the option of signing Lewis, and perhaps they did, and Lewis, in no uncertain terms, let them know that he was heading south.

I don't know if they tried to trade him, but that is kind of tough, knowing he was becoming a free agent. I think the Steelers realized that Lewis was going to walk and they were not prepared to try and keep him. If I remember correctly, Lewis did not entertain other offers and just went to New Orleans.

Also, wasn't he best friends with Wallace? Perhaps another reason the Steelers didn't want him around.

“I’m very excited to be able to come back to my hometown,” Lewis told NewOrleansSaints.com. “Having grown up here, I understand the passion that the fans have for the Saints and I’m blessed to be able to have the chance to play in front of them here in the future. I am thankful for the time spent with the Pittsburgh Steelers and wish them continued success.”

Steelerette
09-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Sure, he wanted to go home. I would bet half the league's players would enjoy going home. If you get the chance to do it and pad your wallet by doing it, you're going to play that up to the media. It worked out well for Lewis but I'm not convinced that he explicitly did not want to be here.

Count Steeler
09-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Sure, he wanted to go home. I would bet half the league's players would enjoy going home. If you get the chance to do it and pad your wallet by doing it, you're going to play that up to the media. It worked out well for Lewis but I'm not convinced that he explicitly did not want to be here.

3 scenarios come to mind.

1) He was a cancer in the locker room and the Steelers did not want him back.
2) He expressed interest to go home and the Steelers did not want to try and pry him away from his desire.
3) The Steelers fell asleep.

I just can't get around the fact that the Steelers did not offer anything to Lewis. Not a low ball, no consideration for a tag, nothing. That tells me something else was going on behind the scenes.