PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Five Keys to the 2014 Steelers season

stillers4me
09-03-2014, 05:33 PM
1. Is younger better?

If you do not recognize the 2014 Steelers defense, it's not because you are old. Even newly re-signed teammate Brett Keisel said he did not know some of the players, although, at 36, he is old.

They have done a good job of transforming the defense from old and slow to young and fast, but will they be any good? They were not in the preseason, but those are mere practice games with no game-planning and sense of urgency.

Yet there remain major questions surrounding this new defense and some of those include the old guys: Can their past two first-round draft picks, linebackers Jarvis Jones and Ryan Shazier, come through the way the Steelers need them to come through? Same with rookie end Stephon Tuitt, who looks to be in for significant playing time, too. And what about veteran players who have not yet done it for a full season, such as end Cam Heyward and linebacker Jason Worilds?.......

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/09/03/TO-THE-2014-SEASON-ED-BOUCHETTE-S/stories/201409030082#ixzz3CIKaj738

ALLD
09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Look at the oldest players on the field and that will be our weak areas, except for QB. This will be like one of those Cowher seasons where you know there just isn't enough talent or experience on the field to yield the best team in the NFL. It's called transition.

GBMelBlount
09-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Look at the oldest players on the field and that will be our weak areas, except for QB. This will be like one of those Cowher seasons where you know there just isn't enough talent or experience on the field to yield the best team in the NFL. It's called transition.

I agree on defense.

However if Ben comes out on fire...there's a chance...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dFGIcV-hH5w/Uoz0JKRLXOI/AAAAAAAAEdI/QTMXdwaT3Ac/s400/AChance.jpeg

salamander
09-03-2014, 09:21 PM
This will be the year the offense actually has a great season only to see the defense suck at times. It always seems like all 3 phases of the game never sync up for the Steelers.

TMC
09-04-2014, 02:28 PM
I never expect much of rookies. I just don't. It is a difficult transition from college to the pros and guys take time. With that said, there are a few positions where rookies can come in an impact (if they are the right rookies). I think those positions are the defensive line, linebacker, runningback, tight end, and interior offensive line. The Steelers drafted two guys in the early rounds in two of those positions. When they released the depth chart, they have Cam Thomas as a starter, but I think he is a placeholder and will be replaced by Keisel when he is ready, with Tuitt likely getting snaps there as well. I just do not see the great play from Thomas.

I think Shazier will have a big impact. He will make some mistakes, but I think his potential for splash plays in coverage will make a lot of people forget about his mistakes. I also think bringing Keisel in as a starter will stabilize the run defense some and cover up some potential breakdowns. Too many new cooks usually leads to more issues than changes in talent. I just do not like a new face at each level of the defense and if Thomas is on the line, Shazier at linebacker, and Mitchell at safety, that is what you have. Two new guys on two levels is bad enough.

I am not as concerned about Worilds and Jarvis as some. They were not great last season. I do not expect a drop off from last season, in fact, I would expect some improvement. So, that arrow, to me, is pointing up. Same with McLendon and Heyward.

This defense could experience some growing pains early, but the upside is, they are not facing dynamic offenses early either, and that should give them some time to seat in.

As for the offense, the line is always the key. While I think they may improve in the run game and improve there as blockers, I already see better things in pass pro. That has long been an issue and it appears significantly better with the starters. Injuries could be an issue as the backups suck.

Miller and Spaeth being healthy is also a plus. Brown will be Brown. I think Moore is a great slot addition. Ben is getting the ball out quicker as well, which also helps blocking and moving the chains. Less negative plays is always a plus. If Wheaton can give what Sanders did, which is not much IMO, then the Steelers offense will be better. Remember, they played with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and a beat up TE group for a lot of last season. I do not think that it is difficult to improve upon that as long as Brown is still in the mix. It is not like Sanders and Cotchery are elite level players and Miller returning is a big boost.

As for the running game, I do not see how Bell and Blount doing something dumb off the field is a detriment to the team on the field. Let me clarify that statement, neither are suspended. Neither have issues that should detract from the team during the season (both issues are pretty much resolved heading into the opener). They may have court cases, but they will hire lawyers to handle/postpone those things. It should not distract the team. Bell should improve over last season. I expect a better running game.

Then, there is the schedule. The Steelers do have a softer schedule this year, certainly easier than last season. So, the expectation should be a similar or better record.

I can see them making the playoffs. Do I see them doing much more? Not really. They would need some young guys to really explode and have general improvement in every phase of the game. Could it happen? Sure. Should it be an expectation? No. I think making the playoffs should be the expectation. Less, and this team underachieved and the talent level really comes into question (not that it is not now).

The thing is, if you make the playoffs, all you have to do then is make some noise. You never know how that ball bounces once you make the playoffs. When the Steelers won in 2008, they were not the best team in the NFL. They got hot at the right time, as did Arizona (who was one of the worst teams IMO to ever play in a Super Bowl). Both teams rode a hot hand to the Super Bowl and the Steelers just outplayed them for it all. That happens a lot. So, if they make the playoffs, that is all I can ask, because beyond that, it takes a ton of luck......

zulater
09-04-2014, 03:45 PM
I agree on defense.

However if Ben comes out on fire...there's a chance...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dFGIcV-hH5w/Uoz0JKRLXOI/AAAAAAAAEdI/QTMXdwaT3Ac/s400/AChance.jpeg

Of course there's a chance. In fact there's a a trend that strongly supports the notion the Steelers will have a good season. Since 1994, when Bill Cowher took the Steelers to the AFC title game in his 3rd season. The Steelers have never gone more than three seasons between AFC title game appearances.

ALLD
09-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Of course there's a chance. In fact there's a a trend that strongly supports the notion the Steelers will have a good season. Since 1994, when Bill Cowher took the Steelers to the AFC title game in his 3rd season. The Steelers have never gone more than three seasons between AFC title game appearances.

Cowher is no longer coaching. They look too raw and unorganized. It's like Tomlin is working with an expansion team every season lately. Only way they make it is to capture some 2005 magic or NYG end of the season streak. Two stupid potheads says a whole lot about it.

zulater
09-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Cowher is no longer coaching. They look too raw and unorganized. It's like Tomlin is working with an expansion team every season lately. Only way they make it is to capture some 2005 magic or NYG end of the season streak. Two stupid potheads says a whole lot about it.

Damn! So much negativity on the eve of the season no less.

This just in. Other teams aren't perfect either. We got a real good qb. We finished last season with good momentum. The offensive line gets back Pouncey. One shitty preseason game doesn't define any team, just as one great one doesn't either.

Jaucer
09-04-2014, 09:36 PM
OK here's the thing. Have any of us sat in on team meetings? Obviously not. Therefor it is absolutely too early to tell what the team has really been working on. It's like any business, you are not going to play all your cards until you absolutely have to and that may not even come until several weeks into the season.

This team is going to see some growing pains on defense. But I'll tell you this like I did in the draft thread, Shazier will become the defensive play caller within a year or two. He will be an absolute beast. On offense this team is ready to go lights out. Brown is what he is. And for anyone that thinks the lose of Cotchery or Sanders will hurt in any way then they just haven't been watching. Everything whether on offense or defense needs time to get. Ben took that upon himself this offseason to make sure that happens.

And as a side note, all the Cowher lover is total Kool-Aid. While I loved him when he was here and still love him it's just not the same NFL anymore. And that is painful for me to say because I love the old style snob-blocker game.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2014, 09:50 PM
we wont know .... until we know ...

lots ot be worried about , but lots to be excited about ... but its all based on preseason with 2 teams playing vanilla each week so how any of it pans out is just a guess

Jaucer
09-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Exactly. We just don't know what the team has been working on and how they have been deploying it. Whether it's player vs situations or team vs situations. Until we see them for several weeks we won't know what this team is all about. That's why I agree with Zu, it's to early to tell. There are a lot of new players on the team, I believe almost 40%.
Just what you said, a lot to be excited about but as lot of questions. For me the things to be excited about far out way the questions,