PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin Not Afraid To Use Antonio Brown On Punt Returns

polamalubeast
09-02-2014, 11:57 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/mike-tomlin-afraid-use-antonio-brown-punt-returns/

tube517
09-02-2014, 12:05 PM
And Chong/Doobie Brother #2 will be the part time KR.

muncher
09-02-2014, 12:09 PM
stupid move , i think.
too much to lose with little to gain having brown returning punts

BigNastyDefense
09-02-2014, 12:10 PM
I have no issue with it. I don't expect Brown to return every punt, and eventually he will probably be used like they used Santonio Holmes, when they need a spark. You don't want your #1 wideout putting himself out there for injuries an extra 3-5 times a game. But every now and again, you take that chance if need be.

Craic
09-02-2014, 12:13 PM
I have no issue with it. I don't expect Brown to return every punt, and eventually he will probably be used like they used Santonio Holmes, when they need a spark. You don't want your #1 wideout putting himself out there for injuries an extra 3-5 times a game. But every now and again, you take that chance if need be.

If this is how they play it, then I have no problems with it. Put him back there in the fourth quarter when the game is close, or after a big stop on a drive to see if we can further the momentum with a big return, or if we need something to really spark the team. But other than that, yeah, I'd prefer not to see him back there.

steelreserve
09-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Punt and kick returners are actually injured less often per number of snaps played than most other positions. Wide receiver is twice as dangerous. While special teamers overall get injured the most often out of anyone, the great majority of those are players other than the return man.

TMC
09-02-2014, 12:58 PM
I have no problem with Brown returning punts full time. I damn sure do not want to hand the job to a guy just because he was drafted to do it and people think we should get return on that investment. If he cannot earn it, he does not get it.

Last season, Brown had 11 punt returns of 10 yards or more (not negated by penalty). Of those 11 returns, nine ended in scoring drives (it includes the 1 return for a TD).

The part I found pretty shocking, other teams did a ton to negate Brown's returns. There were plenty of kicks out of bounds, through the endzone, etc, in an effort to keep him from running with the football. I am sure they positional kicked as well (cannot see that in stats) and gave up yards for hang time.

Will you see that if you just trot out anyone? Will teams kick away from the replacement? Brown also only had one muff/fumble last season and he recovered his own goof. He also had 23 punts end as fair catches, so he is not playing loose with the ball.

So, minimal mistakes, knows when to make the catch, and when he gets space, he sets the offense up and it usually ends in scores.

He also averaged almost as much as a return man as he did as a receiver with a bigger opportunity to deliver the big play as a return man than he had as a receiver. He had 8 plays over 40 as a receiver (over 100 receptions) and had 5 as a return man (32 touches). I just cannot sit that chance to flip the field. I have to trust that Brown's smart decision making will also be used to keep him healthy.

GBMelBlount
09-02-2014, 01:11 PM
TheMovieChannel

Last season, Brown had 11 punt returns of 10 yards or more (not negated by penalty). Of those 11 returns, nine ended in scoring drives (it includes the 1 return for a TD).

That is a pretty amazing stat. I wonder what the norm is? 35% - 40% as opposed to 80%+?

Also, do you know if there was any tendency to use Brown more when the other team was punting from deeper in their own territory than usual?

Just curious.

86WARD
09-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Exactly. The way they used Holmes was perfect.

86WARD
09-02-2014, 01:56 PM
And Chong/Doobie Brother #2 will be the part time KR.

Shades of Najeh Davenport. Why do they insist on putting garbage back there to return kicks?

tube517
09-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Shades of Najeh Davenport. Why do they insist on putting garbage back there to return kicks?

Too bad he's not here. We'd have Dookie and Doobie :rofl2:

steel striker
09-02-2014, 02:47 PM
I think in certain spots it would be okay to use him but, if Brown gets hurt doing this Tomlin would catch hell.

polamalubeast
09-02-2014, 02:52 PM

Blount had 29.1 yards per kick return last year with the pats...Not bad

Craic
09-02-2014, 06:36 PM

Don't even try to compare the two. Blount was picked up for pot. Davenport had problems with crack (http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13076).

Lady Steel
09-03-2014, 03:49 AM
I have absolutely no problem with Antonio returning punts ~ all the way to our end zone!