PDA

View Full Version : Fumbling becoming part of Mendenhall's repertoire

LLT
08-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Fumbling becoming part of Mendenhall's repertoire
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 18, 2010

If the arms of Rashard Mendenhall and his fellow running backs are a little more bruised than usual this week, they only have themselves to blame.

The defensive players have not held back on whacking away at the football when a running back has it, and for good reason.

Steelers running backs put the ball on the Heinz Field turf three times Saturday night against the Detroit Lions.

Read More: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_695318.html

Soufjerzz
08-18-2010, 06:29 AM
I thought Menstrual had this under control. Maybe it was the rain....

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Soufjerzz
08-18-2010, 06:32 AM
LOL @Menstrual. The auto complete on my phone changed Mendy to Menstrual.

GoSlash27
08-18-2010, 06:36 AM
We fixed this last year, we'll fix it again. Even da Bus had occasional bouts of fumble-itis.

Steeldude
08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
We fixed this last year, we'll fix it again. Even da Bus had occasional bouts of fumble-itis.

shouldn't have to fix it again. mendenhall should have learned this in high school.

SirHulka
08-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Old habits are hard to break. Kinda like Tebow and his "new delivery". When the heat was on, he reverted. Just like Mendenhall.

fansince'76
08-18-2010, 07:47 AM

Thought you were a Mendenhall hater there for a second. :chuckle:

memphissteelergirl
08-18-2010, 08:53 AM
shouldn't have to fix it again. mendenhall should have learned this in high school.

It was the first pre-season game. Mistakes were inevitable. I don't think this is real cause for alarm. Sounds to me like Kirby knows what the problem is and is going to work on it. So take a Valium and relax.

Now 2-3 games into the regular season and Mendy and Co. are still not holding on to the rock...then I'll start getting antsy.

fansince'76
08-18-2010, 10:29 AM
He fumbled 3 times last year out of 242 carries and once in the first preseason game, so I think that saying "fumbling is part of his repertoire" is a bit of an overstatement. However, he does need to get in the habit of tucking it away.

memphissteelergirl
08-18-2010, 10:51 AM
He fumbled 3 times last year out of 242 carries and once in the first preseason game, so I think that saying "fumbling is part of his repertoire" is a bit of an overstatement. However, he does need to get in the habit of tucking it away.

Now that I can agree with, fs76...last season there were times when he carried that ball like a loaf of bread. Drove me nuts! :doh:

Mach1
08-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Thought you were a Mendenhall hater there for a second. :chuckle:

Gotta admit it was funny though. :lol:

If he doesn't get the fumblitus under control I doubt coach lets him see the field.

Butch
08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Gotta agree with the to early in the pre-season to worry about it being a problem later. Work on it in practice like they are and let the rest of the games show us how effective the drills are.

BeerMan
08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Gotta agree with the to early in the pre-season to worry about it being a problem later. Work on it in practice like they are and let the rest of the games show us how effective the drills are.

Agreed. Also, why isn't anyone getting on Moore or Redman? Dwyer was the only one who didn't fumble.

Mattsme
08-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Give him a football shaped bar of soap and put him in the shower with Tom Brady.*

I heard that's how Belichick trains his new running backs.

BuddhaBus
08-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Agreed. Also, why isn't anyone getting on Moore or Redman? Dwyer was the only one who didn't fumble.

As far as Redman goes, if the referee overturned the call, doesn't that mean it wasn't a fumble? :huh: No need to get on Redman.

MasterOfPuppets
08-18-2010, 02:35 PM
As far as Redman goes, if the referee overturned the call, doesn't that mean it wasn't a fumble? :huh: No need to get on Redman.

no

cold-hard-steel
08-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I would not worry about Rashard in the least. Just that ball on the ground,should get him back to where he needs to be.I do have concerns about Dwyer actually being a cream puff.We should be fine at rb. Frank showed more to me,before Dwyer even got started. Cream puff!!!!

solardave
08-18-2010, 04:04 PM

I just thought that was your nickname for him.

solardave
08-18-2010, 04:06 PM

APeterson does the same thing, it's a bad habit that Mendy will have to break.

Craic
08-18-2010, 05:08 PM

Because Redman and Moore aren't the face of the Steelers running future. Mendy is. He is the 1st stringer. I am sure that in actual team meetings and around the teammates, they got theirs as well.
Well, maybe not Mendy so much, as he really is a vet that just happened to put the ball on the ground. But in reality, this is Mendy's sophomore year- you expect vets to get on a kid in his second year of football at this level (2008 was a waste with the injury).

Steeldude
08-19-2010, 12:42 AM
It was the first pre-season game. Mistakes were inevitable. I don't think this is real cause for alarm. Sounds to me like Kirby knows what the problem is and is going to work on it. So take a Valium and relax.

Now 2-3 games into the regular season and Mendy and Co. are still not holding on to the rock...then I'll start getting antsy.

there shouldn't be anything to work on. pre-season is not an excuse for stupid fumbles or loosely carrying the ball. i am not getting antsy. i expect him to fumble because the problem hasn't been corrected. mendenhall is careless with the ball.