PDA

View Full Version : BTSC Talks to Ed Bouchette as the 2010 Season Looms Closer

Galax Steeler
08-18-2010, 04:08 AM
For whatever reason, I opted to reach out to beat reporters other than Ed Bouchette for interviews when I determined that Behind the Steel Curtain had been around long enough to warrant even just a little bit of time and energy from the Steelers' most respected reporters. Jim Wexell came first and his kindness and willingness to share his insights on the site has always been extremely appreciated by me. More recently, I reached out to Dale Lolley. He too was kind enough to talk to the site, as well as to write for this year's preseason publication for Maple Street Press.

Again, not sure why, but Mr. Bouchette came last. Maybe that's because he writes for the flagship paper, the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and figured he had better things to do knowing damn well he had a massive audience already. Or maybe it's because he often sounds exacerbated by fans in his humorous weekly chats and I didn't want to be dismissed by him like he might do to a fan who calls for Coach Tomlin's head after the first minor setback.

Who knows, but I'm glad I finally asked him for a minute of his time. Bouchette was remarkably gracious and responsive and I hope it's not the last time that we have him on the site talking shop with us.

Star-divide
1) Interesting thoughts by you today on the Steelers quarterback situation. Specifically, I thought you raised a good point about how Coach Tomlin should at least consider using both Leftwich and Dixon during the team's first four games of the season. You brought up several instances in NFL history where it's been done, and I'll add one more: several years ago in Arizona when both Leinart and Warner were rotated creatively by Ken Whisenhunt. Do you think it's at all likely that Tomlin and Arians will do something similarly creative? Or do you think that the guy who starts Week 1 will remain the starter pending injury, extreme struggles or the return of Big Ben?

Bouchette: Bruce Arians and Mike Tomlin confirmed on Monday that they have special packages just for Dennis Dixon. Byron Leftwich will start, but I think both are going to play. If Leftwich falters, it would not surprise me if they inserted Dixon. Of course, Ben will start when he returns.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/8/17/1627026/btsc-talks-to-ed-bouchette-as-the#storyjump

polamalubeast
08-18-2010, 06:23 AM
4) More likely to have a Mike Wallace type rookie year in 2010 - Antonio Brown or Emmanuel Sanders.?

Bouchette: I still think it's going to be Sanders. Brown is a cocky kid who has great confidence. He looks like a steal as a sixth-rounder. It did not go over big with the coaches when he popped up Saturday and pointed "first down,'' when it wasn't even a first down. But he had the TD and he caught a nice shoe-string grab off a low throw on another. I also think he may be their return man.

hotrodder07
08-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Good read. Thanks for the post. It's interesting that Flozell actually has a chance of being cut after running the first team since he's been here. Though, I doubt he will be, simply because we really don't have any better options.

I didn't know that the coaches were upset with Brown for celebrating a catch. Oh well. He can signal first down all he wants as long as he keeps scoring those TDs ;)
It is interesting, however, that he still thinks that Sanders will have the better season. I can't wait to see what he can truly do. He didn't get a lot of chances to prove himself last Saturday, so hopefully he gets some more balls thrown his way against the Giants.

klick81
08-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm just happy that we at least have a couple of WRs that may be able to help alleviate Holme's departure. It would sure as hell suck if we had NOBODY to even speak of.