PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Bans for RBs 'on the table'

tube517
08-25-2014, 05:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11408345/pittsburgh-steelers-suspend-leveon-bell-legarrette-blount-mike-tomlin-says

ALLD
08-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Tomlin should first ban weed smoking.

fansince'76
08-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Tomlin should first ban weed smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OQaxwoVpZs

:chuckle:

Moose
08-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Why delay the punishment ? What the hell does delaying the punishment prove ?

fansince'76
08-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Why delay the punishment ? What the hell does delaying the punishment prove ?

Not sure they are delaying it so much as they are giving the possible punishment(s) a lot of thought. Tomlin and the team brass are limited in a number of ways as far as what they can do from the standpoint of the CBA, after all...

Shoes
08-25-2014, 08:35 PM
From what I've been reading there is little chance the Steelers will do anything. It seems the Rooney's took a lot of heat from the union with the Holmes issue before the NFL had its say.

Dwinsgames
08-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Team is in a tight spot ... hard to sit one and not the other ...

if you sit both what do you have left ?

if they only carry 3 RBs and a FB .... you got problems sitting 2 of your 4 esp your top 2

some seem to think 4 is all they will carry ....

if they carry 5 its not nearly as big of deal esp if they sit 1 week 1 and sit the other week 2

Craic
08-25-2014, 09:27 PM
Sit them both first game.

If we lose to the Browns because we don't have a run game, maybe they will get it through their young head that decisions have consequences.

Psycho Ward 86
08-25-2014, 10:04 PM
you know what. the browns are honestly looking as dangerous as ever imo but they do need to be made an example of. im in favor of suspending both for the 1st game.

i think the move will ultimately be beneficial to the two of them and the integrity of the team, regardless of if we win or lose. Although its going to suck serious ass if we start the season in the hole against a divisional opponent.

Lady Steel
08-26-2014, 12:06 AM
A guy I work with told me this evening that he heard on the 6:00 PM news that Bell and Blount were suspended by the Steelers for this week's pre-season game. My response was, "Oh, big whoop-de-doo. It's just a pre-season game."

I'm so glad I logged on tonight to get the full scoop. The guy I work with who told me the above never shuts up and always gets his stories wrong, so when he tells me something it usually goes in one ear and out the other. I've learned to get things confirmed before I believe anything he has to say. :lol:

TMC
08-26-2014, 06:22 AM
From what I've been reading there is little chance the Steelers will do anything. It seems the Rooney's took a lot of heat from the union with the Holmes issue before the NFL had its say.

Yeah, they are very limited. The NFL and NFLPA did review the actions they took against Santonio Holmes, but there were some things that came into play that made his situation somewhat specific. Holmes was stopped on a Thursday. He sat for the game on Sunday. Now, the Steelers did not officially suspend him, they left him inactive for the game. They have the choice of what 48 to dress. Holmes still got paid. He still got credit for the game, he just did not dress. The Steelers made the point, the NFL and NFLPA reviewed it, but ultimately, it is the team's decision on who to play. Not much could be done, especially with the short time frame.

This is a little different. If they try to sit them in the regular season, the NFLPA will likely file a grievance. Of course, if the players still get paid, not much to fight over. I know the NFL should not suspend them unless either are in the SAP. The NFLPA would likely fight a league suspension. So, I really do not see much missing time for either.

ALLD
08-26-2014, 03:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdPUixS0GTI

This is how the Steelers discuss policies.

BigNastyDefense
08-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Their hands are likely tied.

Sitting them for a meaningless preseason game does nothing. It's preseason, if anything you're keeping them from suffering a major injury in a game that doesn't count for peanuts. NFL game suspensions don't even hit until the regular season. If anything, the punishment would be playing both through the third quarter of the last game.

Any official suspension would be fought by the NFLPA. Deactivating them for the first week when both are expected to be active and playing all season barring injury will make the NFL and NFLPA both look into it.

Maybe the Steelers fine them for conduct detrimental. If the players don't appeal the fines, then we will never hear of what the punishment is.

But as for a league suspension, this likely falls under the drug policy which is collectively bargained and reads no suspension for the first offense. The team can't suspend them either under the drug policy.

I have seen a lot of talk on the internet about how if the Steelers don't suspend them it means Tomlin is soft and the "Steeler Way" is gone. I don't think that's the case. Like I said and others have said, the team's hands might be tied in this situation. If so, nothing Tomlin, Art II, or anyone can do about it.

tube517
08-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Ben, Troy, Ike, Kiesel, Earl, and Timmons should take away their ping pong privileges like last year. That'll show them! :chuckle:

Moose
08-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Sit them the Brown's game. If we win, great; if we lose, then another lecture of how their action's affected the team and let them apologize in the locker room to the team. Looking in the eye's of their brother teammates may wake them up.

86WARD
08-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Sit them the Brown's game. If we win, great; if we lose, then another lecture of how their action's affected the team and let them apologize in the locker room to the team. Looking in the eye's of their brother teammates may wake them up.

And be on their way to starting 0-4 again? No thanks.

Lady Steel
08-26-2014, 11:42 PM

I'm never, ever in favor of losing a divisional game.

Craic
08-27-2014, 10:46 AM
I'd rather lose a division game now, than be in the playoff hunt and have either one of these idiots pull this again . . . maybe even get arrested so we lose them for a game then. Or, if it ends up being a fourth violation somehow, watch them get suspended for four games or whatever it is.

There's consequences to actions. Losing against a division game . . .and a rival just may be one of those consequences. Bell and Blount should have thought about that.

fansince'76
08-27-2014, 10:51 AM
I'd rather lose a division game now, than be in the playoff hunt and have either one of these idiots pull this again . . . maybe even get arrested so we lose them for a game then. Or, if it ends up being a fourth violation somehow, watch them get suspended for four games or whatever it is.

There's consequences to actions. Losing against a division game . . .and a rival just may be one of those consequences. Bell and Blount should have thought about that.

If we can't beat the Browns in Heinz without Bell and Blount, especially when the Browns have shown every indication of being a league sad sack once again, we've got bigger problems than worrying about winning the AFCN.

Craic
08-27-2014, 01:15 PM
If we can't beat the Browns in Heinz without Bell and Blount, especially when the Browns have shown every indication of being a league sad sack once again, we've got bigger problems than worrying about winning the AFCN.

:chuckle: shh!

ALLD
08-27-2014, 02:17 PM
The NFL has moved the kickoff to 4:20 pm as a means to create awareness.

muncher
08-27-2014, 05:32 PM

kinda like beating miami, at home, in the snow, to make the playoffs

fansince'76
08-27-2014, 06:05 PM
kinda like beating miami, at home, in the snow, to make the playoffs

Yes, because goodness knows, 2013 has so much bearing on 2014, particularly after a huge shitload of roster turnover.

And since we're going to split hairs for reasons the Steelers missed the postseason in 2013 yet again, of course we must gloss over the incompetent officiating that took place in San Diego on the last day of the regular season...

muncher
08-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Yes, because goodness knows, 2013 has so much bearing on 2014, particularly after a huge shitload of roster turnover.

And since we're going to split hairs for reasons the Steelers missed the postseason in 2013 yet again, of course we must gloss over the incompetent officiating that took place in San Diego on the last day of the regular season...

lol............blaming the refs for missing the playoffs

fansince'76
08-27-2014, 11:24 PM

Yeah, it's just me being a homer. :coffee:

NFL Admits Refs Erred In Chiefs-Chargers Game As Blown Call Potentially Cost Steelers Playoff Spot
(http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/12/30/nfl-admits-refs-erred-in-chiefs-chargers-game-as-blown-call-potentially-cost-steelers-playoff-spot/)
And once again, I couldn't give a jolly fuck less about 2013 at this point.

BigNastyDefense
08-28-2014, 05:57 PM
They aren't getting suspended. The NFL/NFLPA won't let it happen. Probably fined, maybe they won't start the Browns game. Maybe they won't see the first couple of series. Maybe they won't see the first half. But there won't be any "official" suspension.

HOWEVER, if either of them get arrested for anything or fail a drug test for anything, a four game ban will be laid down via the NFL Substance Abuse Policy.

HollywoodSteel
08-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Here is my official decree of wisdom that will decide the mater once and for all: Are you people INSANE? You absolutely, 100% do NOT suspend them. One: we probably can't, so all we'd be doing is sitting them and still paying them for doing nothing. But I'm sure such an action will make such a difference that it will change the course of their lives forever... or more likely it will do nothing but hurt the team, hurt the fans, and most importantly hurt ME. So screw that. The league owes us for bullshit suspensions in the past, so lets not voluntarily give them more of our hearts, blood, and life-spans.

Everyone on Earth knows that Ray Rice deserved more than a 2 game suspension for what he did. Do you think the Ravens, for even a second, would consider suspending him two more games because it would send a nice message. You know, for the kids. Try asking them that and they'll laugh you out of the room. And rightly so. This is football. A sport, a game, a business, and a way of life for us fans. WE DO NOT DESERVE TO BE PUNISHED. How about Tomlin ask them to voluntarily give a game check to some drug treatment center, or Mothers Against Slow Drivers, or Skittles against getting eaten by stoned guys. Anything but hurt the team.

And if we do decide to sit them, for God's sakes, who are the geniuses who think it should be for the same game? Where's the logic in that? Because they were in the same car? It doesn't hurt them anymore than if they were sat in different games. In fact it makes it easier on them because the other one wouldn't have to pick up the slack for the suspended one, and they'd have a partner to hang out with that Sunday to... I don't know, get high and play Madden or something.

Sometimes I think I'm the only sane human left on the planet.

X-Terminator
08-29-2014, 01:01 AM

Yeah, it's their fault they dug themselves a deep hole, but they had worked their way out of that deep hole and had a legitimate chance to make the playoffs. Everything fell into place nicely. And then the refs fuck up an obvious call and they ultimately do not make it? You can blow that off if you want, but that is bullshit, and even the players would tell you that off the record. NO ONE should enjoy missing the playoffs because the refs are freaking incompetent.

Oh, BTW...take a look at what some people were saying the night of that game:

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/19060-KC-Chiefs-vs-San-Diego-Chargers/page12/