PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: Bad signs much more ominous for Steelers defense

stillers4me
08-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Mike Tomlin was only partially correct when he said the Steelers-Philadelphia Eagles game Thursday night made for lame television. It wasn't much fun to watch in person, either, for a couple of reasons. Even Eagles fans were ticked off for much of it, and their team looked like a Super Bowl contender, spanking the Steelers all over the Lincoln Financial Field lawn.

There was absolutely nothing good for Steelers fans on a night their team was slammed, 31-21............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2014/08/24/Ron-Cook-Bad-signs-much-more-ominous-for-defense/stories/201408240193#ixzz3BJkRLShe

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2014, 09:06 AM
But the defense? It wasn't nearly good enough the past two seasons when the Steelers went 8-8 and missed the playoffs each year. It might be younger and faster, but it hasn't shown in this exhibition season that it's going to be good enough again. New York Giants running back Rashad Jennings ran for a 73-yard touchdown on the Giants' fourth play of the first exhibition. The Buffalo Bills controlled the ball for almost 21 minutes of the first half of the second game. The Eagles ripped the Steelers first-team defense for 402 yards and all of their points, doing most of the damage without running back LeSean McCoy, the best in the business. McCoy left after the second series with a thumb injury, but not before running for gains of 15 and 13 yards and catching a 22-yard touchdown pass.

Anyone who doesn't think that this is an issue is simply choosing to ignore it.

GBMelBlount
08-24-2014, 09:10 AM
It is really impossible to know how good the defense is. No matter how fast or athletic there are just too many young players.

It will probably take a good half season before we even start to gel....assuming we do.

Ben better be on fire the first half of this season.

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2014, 09:15 AM
That's the thing. The offense is going to have to carry the defense for the first part of the season. I don't know if they're capable of doing that.

ALLD
08-24-2014, 09:18 AM
That's the thing. The offense is going to have to carry the defense for the first part of the season. I don't know if they're capable of doing that.

The offense will need to be very efficient and the defense will need to defend every blade of grass, that is if the RBs don't smoke it all up.

GBMelBlount
08-24-2014, 09:48 AM
I can already see the fun our opponents will have when we run onto their field while they blast queen and sing:

"Weed will weed will rock them!"

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2014, 09:54 AM
The offense will need to be very efficient and the defense will need to defend every blade of grass, that is the the RBs don't smoke it all up.

Yes, and that goes against what I consider to be the best part of our offense, the no huddle. We'll need to focus more on a slower tempo with more running in order to keep our defense off of the field.

Count Steeler
08-24-2014, 09:59 AM

The pre season means nothing. It creates talking points.

The defense needs time to gel and it may take 4-8 games of regular season play. The offense always looks better in the no huddle than when they do huddle. We are not privy to what is being worked on by the coaches. They have made it clear they don't go for the wins.

Is the loss disheartening, sure. I wish the Steelers won every quarter and scored a TD on every possession and got a turnover on every possession on D. That is not reasonable.

I give this team about 4 games before I can get a sense if this season will be a right off or if we truly have something to look forward to. Of course injuries can easily change our season instantly.

dislocatedday
08-24-2014, 10:24 AM
The Eagles pre-season game was very ugly for the defense. However, I'm surely not going to proclaim that is how it will go in the regular season based off that one game, and that the defense is going to be mired in another year of mediocrity (at best). For whatever reason, the whole defense looked much slower than the previous 2 pre-season games and looked confused out on the field. In the first two games, other than the long Jennings run in the Giants game, the defense looked much better. I'm not going to discount all that after one horrible effort this past Thursday. I think they will be better overall this year.

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2014, 10:55 AM
The pre season means nothing.

I disagree. The wins/losses mean nothing. How you play does mean something, especially when it's your starters in the 3rd game of the preseason.

Is it time to panic? Of course not but you also can't ignore it. Thankfully a lot of the players and Tomlin seem to also be upset about the way that they played and hopefully they'll take the necessary steps to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Mojouw
08-24-2014, 11:26 AM
We haven't really seen what the line-up and roles are for the Dline yet. Clearly there is some stuff still being worked out. By the amount of time they spent in sub packages against the Eagles it almost seemed like the defensive coaching staff wanted film on certain players in specific roles and was less than concerned about the results. That's the optimistic view. The pessimistic is that everyone not named McCullers and Heyward can not hold the point of attack. This is a problem as Timmons and Shazier are not the kind of ILB to take on guards and centers.

Finally, I know that this is a constant complaint coming from me, but Jarvis Jones is simply not very good at football at the NFL level. He is not a pass rushing threat. He does not cover all that well. He simply fails to set the edge. What is it that he does well? At this point I say try Moats or even the raw rookie with the 1's and see if they can get anything done. While Jones' college tape from the SEC would seem to provide hope - clearly he has a decent football IQ - I think that the pre-draft reports that indicated his athleticism was maxed out were correct. He simply lacks the strength and quickness to get it done at the NFL level.

So now we have defense that is struggling to hold the point of attack along the line, can only generate pressure consistently from one side. Kinda like a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Hopefully it was pre-season and it won't really matter.

Shoes
08-24-2014, 12:53 PM
We haven't really seen what the line-up and roles are for the Dline yet. Clearly there is some stuff still being worked out. By the amount of time they spent in sub packages against the Eagles it almost seemed like the defensive coaching staff wanted film on certain players in specific roles and was less than concerned about the results. That's the optimistic view. The pessimistic is that everyone not named McCullers and Heyward can not hold the point of attack. This is a problem as Timmons and Shazier are not the kind of ILB to take on guards and centers.

Finally, I know that this is a constant complaint coming from me, but Jarvis Jones is simply not very good at football at the NFL level. He is not a pass rushing threat. He does not cover all that well. He simply fails to set the edge. What is it that he does well? At this point I say try Moats or even the raw rookie with the 1's and see if they can get anything done. While Jones' college tape from the SEC would seem to provide hope - clearly he has a decent football IQ - I think that the pre-draft reports that indicated his athleticism was maxed out were correct. He simply lacks the strength and quickness to get it done at the NFL level.

So now we have defense that is struggling to hold the point of attack along the line, can only generate pressure consistently from one side. Kinda like a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Hopefully it was pre-season and it won't really matter.

I've been a Jones supporter all along and still hope he can switch gears, but Im beginning to think you are correct Mojo. I haven't see any progress from last year, I'd give him a few games and put Moats in the mix, that should make it clear. Worlids can pass rush but he seems to be a *if I feel like it* player, and he seems to get injured easy and often. The leadership issue a big one imo. I think the unlike Troy behavior and frustration witnessed late in the game shows there isn't anyone to rally the troops. Heyward sure as hell isn't one…maybe that's another reason why Keisel is back.

Iron Steeler
08-25-2014, 09:31 AM
They are gonna have a little growing pains prob around week 6 to hope they gel... Until then we gotta just pray we can put up points on offense and win as much as we can !

Craic
08-25-2014, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Mojouw;441412]

One thing that is different about him in this last game . . . for the first time, I actually noticed him in a number of plays. He was around the football quite a bit. So I do think there's progression happening. Just not as fast as you or I would like.

zulater
08-25-2014, 11:10 AM
They might need to do the same thing with Jones that they did with Worlidis to jump start his career. Switch him to ROLB. Takes a special player to play LOLB in our defense. Jones just might not be capable there, but could possibly wake up on the other side. Jason is probably gone after this year anyway. Sign James Harrison and rotate Jones on both sides, give him this year and maybe he'll develop?

SteelMember
08-25-2014, 11:14 AM
I realize this is a thread for the woeful defensive play. A defense that didn't stop anything, and when given the opportunities, the new interference rules seems to come into play. It was bad, but it's not like the offense was on track either. Ben seemed off. Many of his passes on the move were considerably off target. His pick was a floater on the run almost 10 yards beyond the reciever. You may argue young recievers, bad routes etc, but his passing wasn't helping bail anyone out either. Hopefully this enitre game was an anomoly. And for all the Steelers no huddle talk this summer, it sure looked like this was the first time our defense actually saw one. Hello... TE over the middle... anyone... Bueller?

Steeldude
08-25-2014, 06:01 PM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

But...but...but...pre-season means nothing on every level.

Steeldude
08-25-2014, 06:10 PM
They might need to do the same thing with Jones that they did with Worlidis to jump start his career. Switch him to ROLB. Takes a special player to play LOLB in our defense. Jones just might not be capable there, but could possibly wake up on the other side. Jason is probably gone after this year anyway. Sign James Harrison and rotate Jones on both sides, give him this year and maybe he'll develop?

You mean switch Jones to LOLB(Woodley's side).

zulater
08-25-2014, 07:21 PM
You mean switch Jones to LOLB(Woodley's side).

Yeah my bad I mixed it up. I always forget if you call 'em by the side of the field they're on relative to the offense. Jones might be incable of playing ROLB at a high level and maybe as was the case with Worlidis the swith to LOLB would prove less challenging and jump start his career. Obviously that would leave us needing a ROLB for this season. Which is why I endorse signing Harrison today. On experience and guile 92 would play competent if not better as long as his health holds out.

Count Steeler
08-25-2014, 09:53 PM
I can't get behind the Harrison signing. Let's see what Moats can do on the right. Or So'to or the other Jones. (Howard, not Landry)

Keisel may be more effective on the right side of the line so he could try and occupy the LT.

Lady Steel
08-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Is the loss disheartening, sure. I wish the Steelers won every quarter and scored a TD on every possession and got a turnover on every possession on D. That is not reasonable.

I'm so unreasonable! :lol: I want the same things, but you're right, it is unreasonable. I also want my Buccos to win every game. That would be 162 games. Yeah, I'm most definitely unreasonable. At this juncture (Ha!), I still believe and am optimistic because I never give up. I'm a stubborn bitch like that. :lol:

Hawkman
08-26-2014, 07:51 AM
I can't get behind the Harrison signing. Let's see what Moats can do on the right. Or So'to or the other Jones. (Howard, not Landry)

Keisel may be more effective on the right side of the line so he could try and occupy the LT.

So'to is gone.

NCSteeler
08-26-2014, 12:12 PM
The Eagles pre-season game was very ugly for the defense. However, I'm surely not going to proclaim that is how it will go in the regular season based off that one game, and that the defense is going to be mired in another year of mediocrity (at best). For whatever reason, the whole defense looked much slower than the previous 2 pre-season games and looked confused out on the field. In the first two games, other than the long Jennings run in the Giants game, the defense looked much better. I'm not going to discount all that after one horrible effort this past Thursday. I think they will be better overall this year.

You mean against a super struggling Giants offense and a Bills offense hasn't been able to sniff a TD this preseason., the offense will need to carry the team and they don't look up to the challenge .mthis season could be very ugly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zulater
08-27-2014, 12:17 AM
You mean against a super struggling Giants offense and a Bills offense hasn't been able to sniff a TD this preseason., the offense will need to carry the team and they don't look up to the challenge .mthis season could be very ugly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't put too much stock in preseason.The Steelers didn't suddenly forget how to play defense. There's some real talent there that once they start figuring things out will be pretty good. And lucky for us we have no real offensive juggernauts on our early season schedule.

GBMelBlount
08-27-2014, 06:35 AM
Don't put too much stock in preseason.The Steelers didn't suddenly forget how to play defense. There's some real talent there that once they start figuring things out will be pretty good.

And lucky for us we have no real offensive juggernauts on our early season schedule.

Why does is sometimes seem like these "less than stellar" offenses have have their "coming out party" against us? lol.