PDA

View Full Version : Lopsided loss to Eagles shows Steelers have issues aplenty

stillers4me
08-23-2014, 10:00 AM
They're supposed to be faster, but they couldn't begin to keep up with the Philadelphia Eagles' super-fast tempo.

They're supposed to be deeper, but coach Mike Tomlin couldn't find reliable performers no matter where he searched on a depth chart that's about to start thinning.

They're supposed to be better, but even Steelers players were questioning afterward whether they'll be ready to play the Cleveland Browns on Sept. 7...........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6633164-74/steelers-eagles-preseason#ixzz3BEAWWzpJ

Shoes
08-23-2014, 01:18 PM
We seem to be back to the *I don't know why* before the season starts. Which is part of the *picking up from last years* stuff I was speaking about in the other threads. If this continues this season, how can anyone say this isn't a coaching problem? I was one who said preseason games don't really matter last year, but it was clear to see that the preseason continued right into the regular season.

I'm really hoping things get on track. *Things* being issues that have been carried over from year to year and not fixed.

Steeldude
08-23-2014, 02:55 PM
We seem to be back to the *I don't know why* before the season starts. Which is part of the *picking up from last years* stuff I was speaking about in the other threads. If this continues this season, how can anyone say this isn't a coaching problem? I was one who said preseason games don't really matter last year, but it was clear to see that the preseason continued right into the regular season.

I'm really hoping things get on track. *Things* being issues that have been carried over from year to year and not fixed.

It can never be the fault of the HC : )

The Steelers looked uninspired again. Another poor year and it may be time to replace Tomlin and bring in a new HC who isn't afraid to shake things up.

ALLD
08-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Only way we go to the Super Bowl is to go 9-7 and have one of those NYG runs.

86WARD
08-23-2014, 03:37 PM
It can never be the fault of the HC : )

The Steelers looked uninspired again. Another poor year and it may be time to replace Tomlin and bring in a new HC who isn't afraid to shake things up.

Or maybe try to get him some quality players...

zulater
08-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Or maybe just show a little patience. Take it for what it was. One bad preseason game. Go to profootballreference.com go to the Steelers year by year. As I said before in another thread every single Super Bowl year save 78 the Steelers had at least one regular season game where they were boat raced from start to finish. A game where they never looked as if they belonged on the same field as their opponent. Some of these games were at home. Some on the road. Some were against top caliber teams. Other's against more moderate teams. But the bottom line, no one game, be it good or bad, defines a team. Hell I can find some of our non playoff years where we looked like champs against a good team or to. But again one game doesn't define you. Don't be a prisoner of the moment. You almost always end up looking stupid when you do. And believe me I've done it plenty of times myself, so I'm not talking down to you, I'm relating personal experience. :lol:

X-Terminator
08-23-2014, 10:42 PM
The Steelers did not game plan for the Eagles. Simple as that. But then again, most teams really do not game plan for their opponents in the preseason, and instead use them mainly for evaluation purposes. The thing is, though, that too many of the fans really, really take these games for more than what they are. It's the freaking PRESEASON, and again, I have to use the example of the 2011 Lions that went undefeated in the preseason, and then did not win another game. Sure, there are some things that are concerning, but let's not go overboard.

Why do some fans keep doing this? Seriously? We won't really know until 3 games into the regular season what kind of team they will be. Let's at least give them that long before you bring out the pitchforks and torches, please. And the media does what it does best...feed right into this mentality, and many fans fall for it.

Every.

Time.

Everyone was so excited about the team leading up to the Eagles game. One bad performance later, it's right back to "the team sucks" (general phrase).

Patience. It really is a virtue.

fansince'76
08-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Everyone was so excited about the team leading up to the Eagles game. One bad performance later, it's right back to "the team sucks" (general phrase).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4

:chuckle:

Lady Steel
08-24-2014, 12:18 AM
The Steelers did not game plan for the Eagles. Simple as that. But then again, most teams really do not game plan for their opponents in the preseason, and instead use them mainly for evaluation purposes. The thing is, though, that too many of the fans really, really take these games for more than what they are. It's the freaking PRESEASON, and again, I have to use the example of the 2011 Lions that went undefeated in the preseason, and then did not win another game. Sure, there are some things that are concerning, but let's not go overboard.

Why do some fans keep doing this? Seriously? We won't really know until 3 games into the regular season what kind of team they will be. Let's at least give them that long before you bring out the pitchforks and torches, please. And the media does what it does best...feed right into this mentality, and many fans fall for it.

Every.

Time.

It's so exhausting, isn't it? Same shit, different year. *sigh*

Shoes
08-24-2014, 12:26 AM

The idea is to fix the shit from last year so you don't step in it again this year.

X-Terminator
08-24-2014, 01:22 AM
The idea is to fix the shit from last year so you don't step in it again this year.

And again, we won't know if the shit has been fixed until they play meaningful games using actual game plans.

Honestly, I'm close to just giving up. If some fans and the media want to overreact to games that don't mean a damn thing, then so be it. At some point, you just get tired of repeating yourself.

Shoes
08-24-2014, 02:18 AM
Ike's holding hasn't been fixed, J Jones pass rush and tackling hasn't been fixed, Worlids plays hard when he *feels* like it then gets injured, that hasn't been fixed, and it seems the lack of leadership in the locker room hasn't been fixed. You don't need a game plan to see that. I don't see anywhere in this thread where anyone hinted that this team sucked or overreacted. All I'm doing is pointing out problem areas that continue from year to year (and there are more than I listed) that can bite you in the A$$ in the regular season.

X-Terminator
08-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Ike's holding hasn't been fixed, J Jones pass rush and tackling hasn't been fixed, Worlids plays hard when he *feels* like it then gets injured, that hasn't been fixed, and it seems the lack of leadership in the locker room hasn't been fixed. You don't need a game plan to see that. I don't see anywhere in this thread where anyone hinted that this team sucked or overreacted. All I'm doing is pointing out problem areas that continue from year to year (and there are more than I listed) that can bite you in the A$$ in the regular season.

Fair enough. I agree those are problem areas, but my original post is more in protest of the article's tone and several other posts throughout the forum. One bad game - a PRESEASON game at that - and some people press the fuck out of the panic button. It's annoying.

GBMelBlount
08-24-2014, 06:42 AM
Or maybe try to get him some quality players...

Law of large numbers leads me to believe it is more of a coaching issue.

I have been saying for years that Tomlin has seemed complacent after winning a few Super Bowls and appears to lack the intensity and consistent sense of urgency needed to be competitive.

A lot of people argue that these are professional football players and should not need to be inspired.

I disagree.

I say they are nothing more than rich kids who just happen to be highly gifted athletes.

They MUST be inspired and driven and it starts at the top.

jb500ex
08-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Fair enough. I agree those are problem areas, but my original post is more in protest of the article's tone and several other posts throughout the forum. One bad game - a PRESEASON game at that - and some people press the fuck out of the panic button. It's annoying.
What your original post states is this team is not good enough to beat anyone straight up, they need to scheme themselves into victories. That in turn means this isn't a very good team and it's not a well coached team so be prepared for another disappointing season

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2014, 08:50 AM
I have been saying for years that Tomlin has seemed complacent after winning a few Super Bowls and appears to lack the intensity and consistent sense of urgency needed to be competitive.

Tomlin has only won one Super Bowl.

8-8 the last two seasons without even making the playoffs. I don't think that he's complacent.

zulater
08-24-2014, 08:51 AM
What your original post states is this team is not good enough to beat anyone straight up, they need to scheme themselves into victories. That in turn means this isn't a very good team and it's not a well coached team so be prepared for another disappointing season

0-16 here we come. :chuckle:

Moose
08-24-2014, 10:32 AM

Every.

Time.

I agree with most you've said, except the game 3 statement. Like I say every year, with only a 16 game season, EVERY game counts. Usually at the end of the year one of the losses always comes back to haunt the team. After the past seasons, and the questions that are abounding about the player's and coaches, I think this team needs to come out on game 1 and pound the opponents for a solid 60 minutes. The coaches have to game plan, and the players need to execute, plain and simply. No and, if's or but's. Just my opinion.

Shoes
08-24-2014, 01:12 PM
I've changed my view on preseason games to what Troy said….if you win they don't matter.

Here are a few threads from last year.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/18133-Should-We-Be-Concerned-If-The-Steelers-Go-Winless-In-The-Preseason

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/18135-Predictions-for-the-first-4-week?p=390721#post390721

X-Terminator
08-24-2014, 01:39 PM
0-16 here we come. :chuckle:

I thought about responding to that nonsense, but forget it. Not going to bother.

fansince'76
08-24-2014, 03:16 PM

http://thehairpin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/troll_doll_is_watching_by_captaincupcake-480x640.jpg

Craic
08-24-2014, 03:27 PM
troll

Don't you mean . . .

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/105075/2672394298-pittsburgh-steelers-kicker-jeff-reed-answers-questions-during-media-availability.jpg

tube517
08-24-2014, 03:55 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/19773-Fire-Haley-fire-Tomlin-fire-the-entire-team?highlight=fire+tomlin

:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
08-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Tomlin has only won one Super Bowl.

8-8 the last two seasons without even making the playoffs. I don't think that he's complacent.

My bad on the "few".

Still, I don't feel Tomlin has the intensity he had when he started.

I hope I am wrong.

Hawkman
08-24-2014, 05:31 PM

Not so sure that's the shit Lady Steel is talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

What the hell do "sense of urgency" mean anyway?? What a useless over-used term.......by many people. If we really applied that term to The Steelers, we'd be just like the Browns....New coaches and QBs every other year, if not every year.

tube517
08-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Don't you mean . . .

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/105075/2672394298-pittsburgh-steelers-kicker-jeff-reed-answers-questions-during-media-availability.jpg

Towel dispensers support this post :lol:

Craic
08-24-2014, 09:09 PM
Towel dispensers support this post :lol:

I would like to point out that Goodell does not ban for Towel dispenser-battery. What kind of injustice is that? :chuckle: