PDA

View Full Version : not so rapid reaction

Dwinsgames
08-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Just watched the game .... had it taped due to other things going on last night ( lamb on the grill cook out with family with all the fixens )

if I am honest I can not recall such a pathetic display of football ...

Yes I know it is pre season but this is supposed ot be the " dress rehearsal " game , all I know is if this is what we are in store for its going to be a long year ....

what positives could be taken away from it ? hmmm was there ANY ?

we where outworked and out physicaled on nearly every snap .....

we could not do anything with our first team O and first team D looked horrible as well ...

thoroughly unimpressed ......

the question is WHY was we so horrid ? could this be from the Bell / Blount distraction ? ( if so we need better locker room leadership because we totally imploded )

I will chalk it up to " just 1 meaningless game " but am concerned none the less

ALLD
08-22-2014, 08:35 PM
This team could go 12-4 easily if they played all girls high schools this season.

stillers4me
08-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Positives? Well, I didn't stick around for the last few minutes, but Landry Jones didn't play? If that's the case, then that's my positive.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Positives? Well, I didn't stick around for the last few minutes, but Landry Jones didn't play? If that's the case, then that's my positive.

oh he played alright. just not well :lol:

Steeltreal
08-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Heath!!!!

Shoes
08-22-2014, 09:59 PM
My concern is with players who picked up right where they left off. Ike for example is going to be a penalty magnet with the stricter *no touch the receiver* enforcement this year. J.Jones has me wondering also, it seems like he has missed his fair share of practice and I honestly haven't seen any improvement in his pass rushing skills….tackling hasn't been all that great either. But we'll see where he's at after a few games.

It was good to see Wesley Johnson playing C, seems like Munch is plugging him in across the O-line. I do think the O-line will improve nicely by years end. I also think the D will also improve nicely (if Ike is on the bench). I'll be watching Jones & Worilds

Dwinsgames
08-22-2014, 10:10 PM
oh he played alright. just not well :lol:

he never entered the field of play that I seen

SteelerFanInStl
08-22-2014, 10:38 PM

Nope, you're correct. Landry didn't play. It was all Ben and Gradkowski.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2014, 10:54 PM
/

whoops! i was thinking the bills game. my bad

i think the single worst player in the eagles game might have been steve mclendon though. that is really disconcerting. I had high hopes for him, especially after that steelers depot article that noted that he only allowed like 2.5 YPC or something of that sort last season.

Albeit, the eagles O-line is arguably the best in the league. Still no excuse to get dominated so thoroughly by them. Especially once the 2nd teamers came into the game. Smh..

blackngldblood
08-23-2014, 01:18 AM
It's not lack of talent. There was zero energy in that defense. The offense was off rhythm. The team was sick. Poor effort. Even Ben looked like dung. Thy better get their heads straightened out before the games start counting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fansince'76
08-23-2014, 01:24 AM
While I admit the game itself provided literally nothing to be excited about moving into the regular season, the eternal optimist and unabashed homer within me is still keeping the faith.

Lady Steel
08-23-2014, 02:45 AM
Landry Jones needs to take a long walk off a short pier. I'm not worried at this point, though. I still believe!

steelreserve
08-23-2014, 04:31 AM
While there's always the part of you that says "It's only preseason, totally meaningless," I think last year kind of served as a rude awakening about that. It's not about winning all your games, it's about not looking like shit because you're not ready for the season. Last year, that was going on ALL OVER, really no bright spots whatsoever, and it carried over into the real season. This year we've been semi-OK, better than last year but still enough dumbshit issues to make me concerned. It's like certain units are working all right with a couple guys who are fuck-ups (offensive line), or certain guys are doing well within a unit of fuck-ups (WRs, DL, sadly maybe LB) but it's not quite coming together. You wonder if it's the coaching, since this seems to be a thing with Tomlin ... it's gotten a little better, but on the other hand there are now FOUR head coaches on the staff; we ought to be about the best-prepared football team in the world right now.

i think the single worst player in the eagles game might have been steve mclendon though. that is really disconcerting. I had high hopes for him, especially after that steelers depot article that noted that he only allowed like 2.5 YPC or something of that sort last season.

You know, I read that stat last season and figured out there was a reason it was bullshit. Something like they only counted runs scored as "up the middle," but hardly anything counts as "up the middle" and runs between the NT and DE were crap ... or runs up te middle were our strength but most other teams allowed even lower numbers ... or half of them were those shitty plays where the RB stutter-steps into a wall of asses and falls down, and happened to end up in the middle of the field. Or something like that. I don't remember what it was, but the idea was that McLendon was definitely NOT a better run defender than anyone else. It's a shame, he seems to be just not built for playing NT, and if he forces himself into the build, his game suffers. As someone else said, he'd probably be a good 4-3 DT, but is stuck in between on this defense.

Funny thing - did you know that in Japan, "DT" is short for dotei, which is slang for a male virgin? I bet you didn't.

86WARD
08-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Better chance they don't make the playoffs this season than they do. In the most important point of the season to date, they showed little to nothing. Lost out there...every one of them. Jarvis Jones looks like he has the makings to be another first round bust and another in a long line of misevaluated picks. It's still early in his career, but there are no signs of it clicking yet for him.

The receiving corp looks like it will take a step back this year...including Brown. When he starts seeing all the double coverages on a regular basis because the other guys are no threat, we could have a major problem...

Steelerette
08-23-2014, 09:44 AM
I think there is a lot of great potential - not just potential but great potential in this team, and if they come out of the gates when the games start counting playing like they don't even want it (like the first half of last season) especially after the end of last year showed so much promise (just like the end of the year before showed so much promise), where else can it obviously fall but on Tomlin?

stillers4me
08-23-2014, 10:07 AM
While I admit the game itself provided literally nothing to be excited about moving into the regular season, the eternal optimist and unabashed homer within me is still keeping the faith.
I'm not panicking, either...yet.

We never play well in Philly. :noidea: I remember Ben getting the hell beat out of him in Philly and the O line getting crucified. We won a superbowl that year.

It's preseason. Yes, we have issues. Every team does, even the ones that win championships in preseason. These are young guys......we are not known for playing rookies right out of the gate. I don't think it's a matter of lack of talent but a lack of experience at this point.

We just have to live through the growing pains....which is something this fan base won't find comfortable to watch.

Shoes
08-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Strong safety Troy Polamalu (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4474/troy-polamalu?ex_cid=null) looked perplexed and maybe a little shaken as the eight-time Pro Bowler searched for words in the aftermath of the unmasking the Steelers' starters received in the final preseason game that they will play extensively.

“I’m not going to predict the future [on] whether we are ready or not,” Polamalu said of the rapidly approaching regular season. “If you look at today’s performance, you could definitely say we’re not. If you look at last week’s performance, you could say maybe we have a shot.”

“They(preseason games) probably don’t matter when you win,” Polamalu said of preseason games. “When you lose, you look at every error that you make. Obviously we’got a lot of film to watch and a lot of mistakes to correct. There’s a lot of room for improvement.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/8474/polamalu-steelers-search-for-answers

zulater
08-23-2014, 10:46 AM
With the exception of the 78 team, every other Steeler team that made the Super Bowl had at least one embarrassing loss. I mean the sort of loss where you were boat raced from start to finish and didn't even look like a playoff team, let alone a genuine Super Bowl contender.

74 team got shut out at home by the Raiders 17-0.

75 team got dominated by a mediocre Bills team in Pittsburgh.

79 team got wasted in San Diego in a late season game that cost them the AFC's one seed.

95 team got blown out at home by the Vikings.

05 team got their asses handed to them in Indy.

08 team puked all over themselves in Philthy.

10 team got waylaid by the Pats in Pittsburgh.

Good teams have terrible days. Don't read too much in any one game good or bad.

steel striker
08-23-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm not giving up after one bad pre season game and, every team has those games. In two weeks we will see how we look when it counts for real.

Mojouw
08-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Part of me wants to say that it was preseason and doesn't matter. Part of me realizes that it underscores some problems that were simply band-aided over.

The corners on this team kinda stink.

Jarvis Jones is not a legit pass-rushing threat.

The offensive line remains a question mark until they prove for multiple games that they can get it done.

The entire WR corps after Antonio Brown and Lance Moore is young, long on potential, but totally unproven.

I'm going to try and not worry until these problems crop up in the games that count. No amount of pre-season success would indicate that they are solved either. The pre-season is such a poor indicator of team success going forward.

Texasteel
08-23-2014, 11:44 AM

I'm pretty sure your right. It was by far his best game.

stillers4me
08-23-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure your right. It was by far his best game.
:lol: