PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Troy Polamalu dreaming of an outstanding season

polamalubeast
08-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Troy Polamalu had a dream/nightmare/premonition this year that led him to speculate about where his future might lie.

“What if our corners went down and I was forced to play corner all year?” Polamalu wondered. “I’d go from linebacker to corner and I don’t play any safety!”

Yes, he probably could do that, but, as he enters his 12th NFL season, Polamalu finds himself back where he belongs, at strong safety after a year in which he played more at inside linebacker than he did his given position.

That is because of rookie Ryan Shazier’s presence at the mac inside linebacker spot. Last year, they did not trust the pass-coverage skills of then-rookie linebacker Vince Williams after Larry Foote was lost for the season with an injury in the opener. Shazier showed off his coverage skills very pointedly Saturday night with a leaping interception.

But last year, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau devised a defense in which Polamalu replaced Williams in passing downs when there were five other defensive backs on the field as well.

Polamalu responded to the new position by not missing a defensive snap in 2013 for the first time in his career. Saturday night, he was back at safety and making contact for the first time this year. Coach Mike Tomlin, in deference to Polamalu’s 12th NFL season and 33rd birthday, kept him out of all live drills at training camp and did not suit him up for the preseason opener.

“Of course, I appreciate it,” said Polamalu, adding it was not among his easiest training camps because he missed time with injuries in previous ones.

Nevertheless, one year after playing every down, Polamalu feels as healthy at 33 as he did one year ago and feels he can duplicate that feat.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/08/19/Steelers-strong-safety-dreaming-of-an-outstanding-season/stories/201408190082#ixzz3Ar4Tx7wJ

HollywoodSteel
08-19-2014, 01:19 PM
That's great to hear. Every time Troy enters the season with some nagging something or other, it seems to always come back to bite him at some point during the season. Then he's never 100% after that. I'm just hoping he builds the kind of psychic connection he had with Hope and then Clark that allowed him to be the Troy that changed the course of seasons for us. I know Mitchell has said that he was excited by the prospect, but the two of them haven't had all that much practice time together. I'm sure it will continue to improve as the season goes on.

I kind of like the nastiness that Mitchell brings to the defense (without Harrison and Clark around I was starting to worry that we might become too "nice" and less intimidating). The only thing about Mitchell that worries me is that with all these flags being thrown as "points of emphasis" Mitchell is gonna draw a few costly 15 yarders this season, both with his hits and his jawing after a play. And with someone like Ike right next to him adding to the jawing, it can only get more dangerous. The two of them need to get nowhere near each other after a play. It's like sitting two class clowns next to each other and expecting no disruptions. Or even better, I think Tomlin needs to make it a point of emphasis right now by telling them that if either one of them draws a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, he'll fine the other one. That way they can be responsible for each other, pulling the other one away whenever things start to get heated.

If these penalties start to happen during the season, I'm going to find this thread and give everyone an "I told you so." :)

st33lersguy
08-19-2014, 02:01 PM
This should be the title
Steelers' Troy Polamalu dreaming of yet another outstanding season