PDA

View Full Version : Munchak enjoying another opportunity to coach

stillers4me
08-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Mike Munchak always has been an offensive lineman at heart.

He loved playing the position for a dozen years, and his excellence landed him in the Hall of Fame. He also enjoyed coaching it just as much for 14 more years.

Then Munchak became a head coach, and when one is a head coach, one doesn't do much coaching.

Munchak found that out the past three years as Tennessee Titans head coach.

Now he's back to what he loves: coaching.

“There's nothing like being the guy, organizing practices and stuff like that,” said Munchak, who was hired by the Steelers as their offensive line coach in March. “It's a challenge, and I absolutely love it.”

Munchak's challenge is large: find a way to motivate an underachieving, yet highly skilled offensive line to protect their franchise quarterback and pump life into what has been a lifeless running game.........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6616133-74/munchak-coach-offensive#ixzz3Af77I6nb

- - - Updated - - -

One of the issues was line coach Jack Bicknell Jr., who lost the offensive line room almost immediately in his first year.
He was fired not long after the end of last season.
Munchak doesn't have to worry about gaining his players' respect.
“If you don't listen to a Hall of Famer, then there's something wrong,” center Maurkice Pouncey said. “All the guys respect him.”
Or as tackle Marcus Gilbert put it: “It's like, ‘Wow, we have a Hall of Fame coach who you can really learn from and get better.' ”
What has made Munchak an instant success with the linemen is his teaching technique.
Munchak has nearly an hour of individual time with the unit during practices and makes the most of it by changing up and inventing new drills to keep the unit sharp and learning.
“What makes him special is that he is very thorough and takes his time and explains exactly what he wants from us,” left tackle Kelvin Beachum said. “There is no gray area at all. It's black and white. He's creative with some of the blocking schemes that we have. It just brings something different to the table that we didn't have.”

GBMelBlount
08-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Looks like Munchak has his work cut out for him getting our anemic running game firing on all cylinders.

X-Terminator
08-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Looks like Munchak has his work cut out for him getting our anemic running game firing on all cylinders.

I have complete confidence that he will do exactly that.

polamalubeast
08-17-2014, 12:34 PM
The pass protection(first unit) was very good yesterday,too

ALLD
08-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Cannot blame coaching on a poor OL this season. I think if things do not work out they will make wholesale changes on the line.

SteelerFanInStl
08-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Judging from what I've seen so far, I like the starting OL, although the run blocking hasn't been stellar, but the backups have been poor. I just don't know if we have much talent there at all.