PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning uncertain vs. Steelers

Killer
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said Eli Manning is in New York City undergoing a battery of tests to make sure the quarterback is fine after suffering a gash on his forehead on Monday night.

Coughlin did not have any additional information on Manning's status because the quarterback was at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan at the time of the coach's conference call with reporters. But Coughlin said he texted Manning, who didn't complain about pain the day after the quarterback needed 12 stitches to close a three-inch gash.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0816/ny_u_elibloodyvert2_288.jpg

The Giants' medical staff is trying to figure out how Manning can practice with a helmet on since the gash is on his forehead and that could impact the healing of the wound. Coughlin would not speculate as to whether he will have his starting quarterback this Saturday in a preseason game against the Steelers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5471567&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

--------------------

Don't forget the game will be Live on the NFL Network on Sat

NFL PRESEASON GAME: PIT vs. NYG 7:00 PM ET

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/networkschedule?selectedMonth=August&field=selectedDate&selectedDate=08%2F21%2F2010

polamalubeast
08-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Too bad!

I would love another duel between Ben and Eli!

SMR
08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Too bad!

I would love another duel between Ben and Eli!

You and me both! Big Ben has got a HUGE chip on his shoulder and should annihilate the Giants for as long as he's in the game!

MasterOfPuppets
08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
he could wear one of these...

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/12/30/dark%20door%20prop%20diving%20helmet.JPG

Kaeg
08-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Too bad. I assume that uncertain means "No way". I don't think they should play him for just a pre season game with a wound like that. Especially right where the helmet goes.

kittenfantastico76
08-17-2010, 08:33 PM
GEEBUS! All that blood - I didn't get to see the game but wow, he looks like he's trying out for Rick Flair's old job on WWE!

salamander
08-17-2010, 08:35 PM
After a wound like that, I wouldn't let him any near a football helmet for awhile.

steelwalls
08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
he could wear one of these...

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/12/30/dark%20door%20prop%20diving%20helmet.JPG

I'd be in favor of him wearing one of these at all times...his brother too.. They both fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch... I cant stand looking at them.

BPS3akaWirels3
08-17-2010, 09:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uf0DMcT998

If anyone missed it..

Shea
08-17-2010, 10:26 PM
That was a nasty play - it actually looked more scary the way his head whipped back than the actual gash that resulted to his forehead. Luckily for him that he didn't catch the facemask square in the eye.

Makes me wish that Ben wouldn't play at all in the preseason. That play illustrates that anything can happen in a game that doesn't mean squat.

Plus, we won't be subjected to what the NY crowd will find to chant on top of booing his ass.

It's coming ... I guess it beats being at home though.

steelwalls
08-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Well head/scalp cuts, bleed like crazy but heal really fast. Either way they'll probably keep him out.

Killer
08-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Giants quarterback Eli Manning will not play in preseason game against Steelers

Eli Manning will not play in Saturday’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, coach Tom Coughlin said today. The Giants’ franchise quarterback has 12 stitches in his forehead after suffering a three-inch gash in the team’s preseason opener. He is not in pain and did not suffer a concussion, the quarterback said today, but the stitches inhibit Manning from wearing his helmet.

“Eli would not play this week, but I will not go any further than that,” Coughlin said, adding he still must speak to the team doctor.

There are also health questions about backup quarterback Jim Sorgi, leaving Bomar as the only healthy quarterback on the roster.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/08/eli_manning_will_not_play_in_s.html

Hindes204
08-18-2010, 06:25 PM
pfft....merely a flesh wound

Butch
08-18-2010, 06:26 PM
This reminds me of the most famous picture of a Giants QB Bloodied in the endzone...Y.A.Tittle. Tried to upload the image but can't so if anybody else can find it and upload it would greatly be appreciated.

BTW Y.A.'s hit came when he was playing against???

http://gregdooley.com/images/tittle.jpg

HometownGal
08-18-2010, 06:57 PM
After a wound like that, I wouldn't let him any near a football helmet for awhile.

Exactly. That was a pretty deep gash and as the author states - wearing a helmet could have an adverse effect on the healing process. While I'm not a fan of Baby Eli, I wish him a speedy heal. :drink:

Killer
08-18-2010, 07:00 PM
I bet them seats in the new stadium for Sat's game just got a whole lot cheaper

Bluecoat96
08-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Giants quarterback Eli Manning will not play in preseason game against Steelers

Eli Manning will not play in Saturday’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, coach Tom Coughlin said today. The Giants’ franchise quarterback has 12 stitches in his forehead after suffering a three-inch gash in the team’s preseason opener. He is not in pain and did not suffer a concussion, the quarterback said today, but the stitches inhibit Manning from wearing his helmet.

“Eli would not play this week, but I will not go any further than that,” Coughlin said, adding he still must speak to the team doctor.

There are also health questions about backup quarterback Jim Sorgi, leaving Bomar as the only healthy quarterback on the roster.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/08/eli_manning_will_not_play_in_s.html

I almost feel bad for Bomar. Almost.

salamander
08-18-2010, 08:00 PM
That was a nasty play - it actually looked more scary the way his head whipped back than the actual gash that resulted to his forehead. Luckily for him that he didn't catch the facemask square in the eye.

Makes me wish that Ben wouldn't play at all in the preseason. That play illustrates that anything can happen in a game that doesn't mean squat.

Plus, we won't be subjected to what the NY crowd will find to chant on top of booing his ass.

It's coming ... I guess it beats being at home though.

Unfortunately, I think we're gonna have to deal with that all season no matter where we go. It's a shame really considering all that he's been doing to be a good boy.

steelpride12
08-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Hmm No Eli and maybe no Sorgi so the Giants starting their 3rd string QB oh man our starting D has to be licking their chops!

Killer
08-19-2010, 08:33 AM
With Eli and Sorgi out - that means Rhett Bomar will play the whole game.

If the Steelers lose to Bomar, hell will be unleashed,

Angina
08-19-2010, 09:02 AM
pfft....merely a flesh wound

Yeah, but can you imagine?

A helmet pressing and rubbing against a stitch line, not to mention every time he takes a hit, that same helmet is pushing and twisting on it, and that doesn't even get into all the sweat, dirt and funk getting ground into the wound leading to increased chances of infection and adding to the Frankensteinishness (yes, that's a word, I just made it up) of that Manning head.

*shudder*

steelpride12
08-19-2010, 09:21 AM
With Eli and Sorgi out - that means Rhett Bomar will play the whole game.

If the Steelers lose to Bomar, hell will be unleashed,
No Hell is only unleashed in December ask Tomlin.

O'Malley
08-19-2010, 02:01 PM
No Hell is only unleashed in December ask Tomlin.

LOL!

venom
08-19-2010, 06:14 PM
If the Giants score on their first possession ( or win the game ) with Bomar playing most of the game or maybe all of it , its going to be a looooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg year

BPS3akaWirels3
08-19-2010, 08:55 PM
To me that is nothing.. About 4 years ago I was so drunk I took a drinking glass that had a thick bottom and busted it over my forehead and the blood was just flowing out really bad. I took a towel and tied it around my head for the night. Two years later I pulled a piece of glass out of the cut that had healed with no stitches.. I was a total idiot and that is one of many reasons why I have stopped the heavy drinking... Next time anyone sees me look at the center of my forehead and you will see the scar... Eli can handle this gash also...

BPS3akaWirels3
08-19-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm just excited that the preseason game is on TV here in Central, PA..

NJarhead
08-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Just got tickets to this game. Now that I have my new high speed/low drag Android from Sprint, I'll see if I can upload photo's of our boys and the newest venue in the NFL. Feel free to hit me up with requests during the game.

Angina
08-19-2010, 10:08 PM
...I took a towel and tied it around my head for the night.

That's such a guy thing to do. :rofl2: I'm gettin' a visual, lol.

BPS3akaWirels3
08-19-2010, 10:10 PM
That's such a guy thing to do. :rofl2: I'm gettin' a visual, lol.

lol... I drank a jug of red wine and then turned the white towel red...