PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign LS

stillers4me
08-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Luke Ingram

Dagnabbit...I was holding out hope for James Harrison. :heh:

Count Steeler
08-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Just don't get the use of a roster spot just for the long snapper.

The Giants long snapper took away our return game, maybe we should trade for him.

steelreserve
08-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Seriously, why doesn't someone teach the backup center how to do this? If Cody Wallace turns out to be half as good at long snapping as he is at jabbing people in the balls, he'll be an All-Pro.

Also, you'd think that some of these marginal offensive linemen would at least try to learn that skill to make themselves more valuable. If you were an OK guard/center but also the long snapper or even a backup long snapper, your likelihood of making the team would go way up, I'd think. Is it really that hard that it'd completely ruin your ability to do your regular job?

muncher
08-14-2014, 07:28 PM
championship

Dwinsgames
08-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Seriously, why doesn't someone teach the backup center how to do this? If Cody Wallace turns out to be half as good at long snapping as he is at jabbing people in the balls, he'll be an All-Pro.

Also, you'd think that some of these marginal offensive linemen would at least try to learn that skill to make themselves more valuable. If you were an OK guard/center but also the long snapper or even a backup long snapper, your likelihood of making the team would go way up, I'd think. Is it really that hard that it'd completely ruin your ability to do your regular job?

predominately long snappers are built more like a TE than a true center , because the role is so much different

LLT
08-14-2014, 07:48 PM
predominately long snappers are built more like a TE than a true center , because the role is so much different

...and because they cant have a belly in the way, when they look back through their legs.

tube517
08-14-2014, 08:44 PM

I thought that is what the 2nd/3rd string Center used to do in the 70s/80s. :noidea:

steelreserve
08-15-2014, 02:33 AM

Yeah, they're not as big as "real" linemen ... still, for the expense of an additional roster spot, you'd think one of these guys could do a decent enough job. The long snapper doesn't even need to do a very good job blocking, in fact there's a rule against running him over because of the vulnerable position he's in. Seriously, someone get your fat ass out there and figure it out. You have ONE job.

slippy
08-15-2014, 09:45 AM
don't the kickers, including punter/holder and snapper, practice on a separate field from everyone else?

NJarhead
08-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Just don't get the use of a roster spot just for the long snapper.

The Giants long snapper took away our return game, maybe we should trade for him.

Zak Deossie isn't leaving the Giants. He was part of both recent SB teams and he's a legacy as his Dad was on the previous two SB teams (or at least one of them). The dude bleeds Giants Blue.

steelreserve
08-15-2014, 08:15 PM
don't the kickers, including punter/holder and snapper, practice on a separate field from everyone else?

Sure, but snapping the ball ... unlike kicking or punting, that really strikes me as something you could do in your spare time. Kind of like how the backup quarterback used to be the holder for placekicks a lot of the time.

By the way, that's also something I think is a way better idea than having the punter be the holder, since on the couple times a season when there's a bad snap that turns into a broken play, at least you have some chance of attempting to throw the ball, instead of just a comical doof.