PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Bettis

polamalubeast
08-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Do you think Bettis will finally be at the HOF next year?

Curtis Martin was at the HOF in his 2nd year and Martin had only a few yards more than Bettis....I think Bettis going to be at its 5th or 6th year next year so I think it's starting to be the time that Bettis goes to the HOF!

Junior Seau, Kurt Warner and Orlando Pace will be at the their first year next year

Craic
08-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Seau might get in first round, but I don't see the others getting in that quickly. I agree though, it's time Bettis is selected.

fansince'76
08-11-2014, 08:52 PM
I don't think Warner should get in on his first ballot.

Edman
08-11-2014, 09:17 PM
He should've been in years ago.

Unfortunately there's that whole "TOO MANY STEELERS IN THE HALL!!!111" thing going against him.

BigNastyDefense
08-11-2014, 09:21 PM
If Warner gets in over The Bus, I will be pissed.

Seau should get in first ballot. Pace is one of the best left tackles to ever play, he might get in on the first ballot. Warner was very, very good...he may get in at one point but I don't think he's a first ballot. If Jerome Bettis doesn't get in for five or so years, no way Warner deserves to go in quicker than that.

86WARD
08-12-2014, 08:08 PM
He could have a real tough time once LT is eligible.

st33lersguy
08-12-2014, 08:14 PM
The problem is the fumble. The Hall of Fame loves to operate under the delusion that one famous bad play should offset a career of accomplishment. What other reason other than his drop in Super Bowl 13 did Jackie Smith, one of the great tight ends have to wait a decade before getting inducted into the hall. Or how is Jim fricking Marshall not yet inducted other than the wrong way run

Mamaduck43
08-12-2014, 08:18 PM
This sounds absolutely horrible, but I am hoping that he gets passed over this coming year.... My granddaughter, my first grandchild, is getting married on August 1.... Traditionally, that is the swear-in day in Canton... I vowed years ago that I would be in Canton for the ceremony, and every year when the announcements are made, my response is, "Well, it looks like I have to live another year...." The night that Caitee announced her engagement and wedding date (the anniversary of when they met), I was so excited and at about 0300, I sat up, out of a deep sleep, and said, "OMG, Jerome is going to get inducted that day..... WTH am I going to do...." Of course, there is no question, that if this all happens, I will be here at the wedding, but, I am still pushing for a destination wedding in Canton - - we could charter a couple of buses from Green Bay for all of the local friends and relatives, and I would be a very happy camper in Black and Gold...

I am sure that I will be able to find a TV at the reception hall - - - Grandmother of the bride is MIA...... She is at the bar, watching TV...... Sigh.... So, I hope that I will have to live for another year......

polamalubeast
08-12-2014, 08:19 PM
The problem is the fumble. The Hall of Fame loves to operate under the delusion that one famous bad play should offset a career of accomplishment. What other reason other than his drop in Super Bowl 13 did Jackie Smith, one of the great tight ends have to wait a decade before getting inducted into the hall. Or how is Jim fricking Marshall not yet inducted other than the wrong way run

I do not think the fumble is a problem since the Steelers have won that game....Of course, if the Steelers would have lost this game, it would have been a different story

Mojouw
08-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Bettis needs to go on for two reasons. The first is his raw numbers alone should be enough to get to Canton. The second, is that Jerome is likely the last back of his size to ever play that large of a role in an offense. With the shift to the passing game, "big" backs are out of fashion and it doesn't seem to be changing back anytime soon.

st33lersguy
08-13-2014, 08:48 AM
I do not think the fumble is a problem since the Steelers have won that game....Of course, if the Steelers would have lost this game, it would have been a different story

I don't think it matters that they won the game since I am sure it is a widely viewed opinion that they won the game only because Ben made a ridiculous tackle to save the game. Considering how famous the play is, the damage was done when the Bus fumbled the ball. Of course I think that logic is complete B.S. and think Bettis should have been inducted by now

tube517
08-13-2014, 08:59 AM
I think one thing holding him back is not the fumble but his stats in the playoffs. Only 674 yds in 14 playoff games. (48 yds/game) 3.39 ypc.

As far as Jackie Smith, Bettis has a ring. Jackie doesn't. That's one reason Jackie Smith (in addition to the drop) didn't get in for a long time (23 years). Also, TEs in the 70s didn't get as many catches as they do now.

fansince'76
08-13-2014, 10:17 AM
He also never led the league in rushing. That's hurting him too.

I think one thing holding him back is not the fumble but his stats in the playoffs. Only 674 yds in 14 playoff games. (48 yds/game) 3.39 ypc.

Also a good point. The guy I most closely compare the Bus to numbers-wise and style-wise is Riggins, but Riggins had that monster postseason in 1982, capped off by "70 Chip" and a Super Bowl MVP.

This is Riggins' signature moment. The closest thing Bettis really had to it was plowing over Urlacher, which happened in a regular season game. If Bettis would have run over Urlacher in a Super Bowl (win), he'd more than likely be in there already. It makes a difference.

For anybody that doesn't think so, in his entire career Riggins only ever made one Pro Bowl and one All-Pro team. Bettis went to six Pro Bowls and was named All-Pro twice. Yet Riggins went in on his second ballot and Bettis is still on the outside looking in after his fourth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0XIXJNYo4

tube517
08-13-2014, 01:32 PM
He also never led the league in rushing. That's hurting him too.

Also a good point. The guy I most closely compare the Bus to numbers-wise and style-wise is Riggins, but Riggins had that monster postseason in 1982, capped off by "70 Chip" and a Super Bowl MVP.

This is Riggins' signature moment. The closest thing Bettis really had to it was plowing over Urlacher, which happened in a regular season game. If Bettis would have run over Urlacher in a Super Bowl (win), he'd more than likely be in there already. It makes a difference.

For anybody that doesn't think so, in his entire career Riggins only ever made one Pro Bowl and one All-Pro team. Bettis went to six Pro Bowls and was named All-Pro twice. Yet Riggins went in on his second ballot and Bettis is still on the outside looking in after his fourth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0XIXJNYo4

Good comparison.

Yeah, and to top that off, Riggins was rendered useless in the following year's Super Bowl by the Raiders thrashing of them.

Riggins in 4 playoff games in 1982: 610 rushing yards.

Polamalu Princess
08-13-2014, 07:20 PM
He should be there. He has earned it.