PDA

View Full Version : Contract Extension For Steelers T Marcus Gilbert Could Get Finalized This Week

polamalubeast
08-11-2014, 01:06 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/steelers-marcus-gilbert-contract-extension-2014-training-camp/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

zulater
08-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Two months ago I would have been against this. But from everything I hear from Latrobe Gilbert has really blossomed under Munchak. Might be our most improved player. So if you can get him under contract at a user friendly rate, then it might prove to be a really good move.

BigNastyDefense
08-11-2014, 09:27 PM
I agree with Zu, get him under contract now before he has his breakout season and wants paid top tackle money.

oneforthetoe
08-11-2014, 11:58 PM
Have to do it with the way Adams has struggled.

TMC
08-12-2014, 07:01 AM
If I recall, the top end money for right tackles is in the range of $4-$5M per season. I would think that is the area where the Steelers look to sign Gilbert. I could live with him signing in that range. If they gave him 5 years, $20M-$25M, that would be fine with me. Michael Oher signed for 4 years, $20M with $9.5M to sign. I would imagine that they get Gilbert with a smaller signing bonus (probably closer to $5M). I think Gilbert is as good as Oher, maybe even better. Oher had high expectations, never did live up to the potential.

GBMelBlount
08-12-2014, 07:21 AM
I agree with Zu, get him under contract now before he has his breakout season and wants paid top tackle money.

Looks like stepping away from the buffet for a season is really going to pay big dividends for Gilbert.

Hopefully he can stay away once he gets his bid payday.

salamander
08-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Ben's pissed. Ben wants to get paid damnit!! :chuckle: :lol:

st33lersguy
08-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Wait til he puts together a solid season before paying him. Make him earn a contract extension

zulater
08-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Wait til he puts together a solid season before paying him. Make him earn a contract extension

Like they did with Keenan Lewis? :coffee:

salamander
08-12-2014, 11:19 PM
I agree...If you're gonna sign him, do it now on the cheap.

st33lersguy
08-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Like they did with Keenan Lewis? :coffee:

It really doesn't make sense to pay an unproven player millions of dollars per year and extend him for a few years. Plus what if we give him his extension and he ends up playing poorly, it would look pretty bad.

86WARD
08-13-2014, 05:48 AM
You can't really say that because you don't know what the $ figures are and you don't know how it is structured. Hell, they could pay him "$200M over 6 years" on paper, but look at the contract and it might be $2M for the first year and the ability to cut him after 6 games.

This happens a lot where teams bank on a young talent based on future potential.

zulater
08-13-2014, 08:35 AM
It really doesn't make sense to pay an unproven player millions of dollars per year and extend him for a few years. Plus what if we give him his extension and he ends up playing poorly, it would look pretty bad.

How would that look worse than allowing a young emerging talent leave just coming into his prime years? You have to use your best judgement and decide if a player is truly ascending or declining or staying the same and go with it. They say Gilbert played most of last season injured. Plus we all believe than Munchak is a coach who could make a difference. So if what you're seeing in camp is a big jump in performance then you're probably seeing the beginning of Gilbert's prime.

Psycho Ward 86
08-13-2014, 08:13 PM

all of these rookie contracts are 3-4 years with optional 5th year options. a lot of players need most of the duration of that time to reach their prime. if we were to do it your way with everybody we'd hardly have any players left because they would just go on to have stellar careers with other teams. Have to take some risks with extensions as well as some prudent ones.

Antonio Brown was a big risk contract as well but it turned out to be a BRILLIANT move for us. And yes, Keenan Lewis (widely acclaimed as a pro bowl snub last season on many media outlets on the 2nd best pass defense in the NFL) is a great example of what can happen if you choose to play it too safe. gilbert makes sense. all reports are that he's having a phenomenal camp and mike adams has reportedly been shaky. i dont think i want guy whimper stepping up to the plate.

lewis, allen, gay, and blake could have been one of the best group of cornerbacks in the league.

By the way, am i the only one who wants cortez allen to get a contract extension much more badly than marcus gilbert? If Tez reaches his potential he will be downright scary. Ike Taylor, except a turnover machine

steelreserve
08-14-2014, 01:33 PM
all of these rookie contracts are 3-4 years with optional 5th year options. a lot of players need most of the duration of that time to reach their prime. if we were to do it your way with everybody we'd hardly have any players left because they would just go on to have stellar careers with other teams. Have to take some risks with extensions as well as some prudent ones.

The fifth-year option is actually only for first-round picks, and you have to decide on it before the start of the fourth year. Everyone else gets a straight four-year contract.

Anyway, that aside, your point is an excellent one. You can take a risk on a guy who's showing potential by giving him a decent contract now - or you can pay double that if he has a good season, which in our case means not being able to afford him at all.

Getting it done BEFORE the contract year is the only way we have a shot at keeping guys like Allen and Gilbert if they turn out to be worth it. We might be out of the worst of our salary cap mess, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking we're in great shape. We really don't have too many good options for squeezing in another $9 million salary, but if you give a deal of a few million increasing over time, we can swing that.

By the way, am i the only one who wants cortez allen to get a contract extension much more badly than marcus gilbert? If Tez reaches his potential he will be downright scary. Ike Taylor, except a turnover machine

You're definitely not the only one. Unfortunately, my guess is that the reason we haven't done that is because he knows how much money he could command if he does well, and wouldn't be willing to settle for much less, and that's out of our comfort zone. The market for hot young up-and-coming cornerbacks is waaaaaaaay higher than for semi-promising offensive linemen who have had their share of struggles. I guarantee you Allen saw Keenan Lewis walk out the door holding a giant sack with a dollar sign on it in each hand and thought, "That's what I've got to look forward to if I play my cards right." Otherwise, all things being equal, I'd take him 10 times before Gilbert.

I'm betting we get Gilbert for something on the order of $5 million a season, but structured so it's more like $3 million at the start and it increases if he's good. That way he has a nice reward within reach and we limit our exposure if he backslides. Given his history in the league so far, my guess is he'd be a lot more willing to take that kind of deal because he has a lot less leverage and probably not as high of an upside by rolling the dice on the open market.

Mojouw
08-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Allen poses the same problem as Lewis did. Assuming he puts good play on film this year, he will have one year of living up to his potential. How much is that worth? However, based on the team saying that Allen is the player they let Lewis walk for, I figure they will pay him. I see the Gilbert extension as an attempt to get cost certainty across the o-line prior to Allen, Ben, Heyward, etc extension talks.

TMC
08-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Here is my thing about both Allen and Gilbert. I'll start with Gilbert since the thread is dedicated to him. I think sometimes, as fans, we give the guy a bum rap. He is not stellar in any single part of his game. I do not see him as elite in any area. But, he is a decent run blocker and a decent pass blocker. He does not have a huge glaring hole either. Aside from falling on his teammates and injuring them (kind of a joke here, do not crucify me), his all-around game is good enough. I think many wanted Adams to beat him out because Adams can be a bulldozer as a run blocker. As a RT, that is great to have, but the difference between Gilbert and Adams in pass protection cannot be overlooked and it is a significant difference. So, I think Gilbert might draw a little abuse because he just does not jump out in any area. People keep stating that Adams can improve. So can Gilbert. Another difference, I see where Gilbert has improved. I do not see that in Adams. I think you need to lock him down now because his best football will likely be in the next five years, with this season potentially being his true break out year. His value, right now, may be the lowest we see it.

As for Allen, I just do not see why they are not hot after his ass. I get the wanting to wait and get more film. I do. I understand that, but if you throw on the first preseason game, Ike is playing RCB. Ike has played left corner for almost all of his career. It is the side that does not have the free safety. Cortez is playing left. That is a pretty significant occurrence. The coaching staff likes Cortez enough to put him as your #1 guy. To end the season, he was the guy mirroring receivers, not Ike. Those things show how the coaches value him. Again, he is another guy that could simply explode this year and his price will skyrocket. In essence, you could see his asking price double. I mean, I could see them attempting to get him in the $5-$6M range right now, using Keenan Lewis as an example of his contract in free agency, but if he plays well this year, becomes that shut down corner, he could get a massive deal. Darrell Revis signed this offseason and is being paid $16M per year. Vontae Davis and Sam Shields are just under $10M per year. Aqib Talib is just behind them. Your top 4 corners were $9.5M+ per season. That does not include guys that were extended. Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman just got $14M per year. Joe Haden got $13.5M per and Brandon Carr is over $10M per. The cap goes up next year. If Allen has a good year, it is not out of the question that he becomes the prize of the CB market.

With the cap looking to rise like they are now expecting, I would ink these guys now, even if I had to give a little more than I wanted. I am not stating break the bank, but get them done sooner rather than later.

Dwinsgames
08-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Here is my thing about both Allen and Gilbert. I'll start with Gilbert since the thread is dedicated to him. I think sometimes, as fans, we give the guy a bum rap. He is not stellar in any single part of his game. I do not see him as elite in any area. But, he is a decent run blocker and a decent pass blocker. He does not have a huge glaring hole either. Aside from falling on his teammates and injuring them (kind of a joke here, do not crucify me), his all-around game is good enough. I think many wanted Adams to beat him out because Adams can be a bulldozer as a run blocker. As a RT, that is great to have, but the difference between Gilbert and Adams in pass protection cannot be overlooked and it is a significant difference. So, I think Gilbert might draw a little abuse because he just does not jump out in any area. People keep stating that Adams can improve. So can Gilbert. Another difference, I see where Gilbert has improved. I do not see that in Adams. I think you need to lock him down now because his best football will likely be in the next five years, with this season potentially being his true break out year. His value, right now, may be the lowest we see it.

As for Allen, I just do not see why they are not hot after his ass. I get the wanting to wait and get more film. I do. I understand that, but if you throw on the first preseason game, Ike is playing RCB. Ike has played left corner for almost all of his career. It is the side that does not have the free safety. Cortez is playing left. That is a pretty significant occurrence. The coaching staff likes Cortez enough to put him as your #1 guy. To end the season, he was the guy mirroring receivers, not Ike. Those things show how the coaches value him. Again, he is another guy that could simply explode this year and his price will skyrocket. In essence, you could see his asking price double. I mean, I could see them attempting to get him in the $5-$6M range right now, using Keenan Lewis as an example of his contract in free agency, but if he plays well this year, becomes that shut down corner, he could get a massive deal. Darrell Revis signed this offseason and is being paid $16M per year. Vontae Davis and Sam Shields are just under $10M per year. Aqib Talib is just behind them. Your top 4 corners were $9.5M+ per season. That does not include guys that were extended. Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman just got $14M per year. Joe Haden got $13.5M per and Brandon Carr is over $10M per. The cap goes up next year. If Allen has a good year, it is not out of the question that he becomes the prize of the CB market.

With the cap looking to rise like they are now expecting, I would ink these guys now, even if I had to give a little more than I wanted. I am not stating break the bank, but get them done sooner rather than later.

good post

Mojouw
08-16-2014, 12:30 PM

Here are the INT and passes defended totals for the players listed as well as few other # 1 CBs. Yes, I know those are poor barometers for overall CB success but I didn't want to take the time to look at pass defensed versus attempts or some other more representative ratio of success.

Haden - 4 INTs and 20 PDs
Peterson - 3 Ints and 13 PDs
Sherman - 8 INTS (led league) and 18 PDs
Revis - 2 INTs and 11 PDs
Talib - 4 INTs and 13 PDs
Davis - 1 INT and 12 PDs
Verner - 5 INTs and 23 PDs
Grimes - 4 INTs and 16 PDs
Flowers - I INT and 9 PDs
K. Lewis - 4 INTs and 14 PDs

C. Allen - 2 INTS and 13 Pds in only 14 games while starting only 8 of those.

So Allen's #'s could be argued to start nipping at the heels of top end CB production. However, he has not yet reached even in the neighborhood of not being thrown at, like Haden, Peterson, Sherman, and Revis. Allen certainly has the tools and some DBs can take a bit to develop. Considering that Allen was late to organized football, was drafted fairly young (I think) and that when he has been healthy he has flashed - put me on board with rolling the dice and signing him now.