PDA

View Full Version : Steelers eager to see rookie RB/WR Archer's preseason debut

stillers4me
08-09-2014, 06:19 AM
After the first series, it's difficult to get a starter to pay attention to what's going on during a first preseason game.

That won't be the case Saturday when the Steelers travel to the Meadowlands to take on the New York Giants in the preseason opener. Everyone is eager to see what rookie third-round pick Dri Archer can do.

“I will take notice during the kickoff, and as soon as Dri is in the game, I am going to take notice,” cornerback Ike Taylor said. “I am sure I am getting up to get a better look.”

Taylor won't be the only one.

“I am real eager to see what he can do,” running back Le'Veon Bell said. “He is one of the most explosive players that I've ever seen. When he gets the ball in his hands, you have to look out for him. You have to know where he is at on the field at all times. If anybody is going to do something special, it might be him.” ................

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6551410-74/archer-yards-steelers#ixzz39tPZMdbN

TMC
08-09-2014, 08:56 AM
I will be anxious to see it as well. I think that Archer is a runningback that is going to get most of his touches on edge runs, dumps, checks, and other routes under 15 yards. I just don't think he can consistently run between the tackles and I do not feel he tracks the ball well enough on deeper routes (small catch radius). I think he is a kick returner and is learning to handle punts, but I want to see him in live fire.

It will be interesting to see if he gets any touches on inside runs, makes any catches down the field, and can handle punt returns.

ALLD
08-09-2014, 09:18 AM
He's a flanker and KR.

Dwinsgames
08-09-2014, 12:15 PM
he has been called a lot of things ...

until he does some of them at this level he is just a rookie ...

BUT.................

a Rookie who is what I call a potential difference maker ...

he can help you in a lot of areas and anytime he touches the ball he has a chance to take it to the house ...but again until he proves it at this level we shall wait and see

Hindes204
08-09-2014, 12:51 PM
I didn't like this pick when we made it....still don't. I hope he proves me wrong

SteelerFanInStl
08-09-2014, 04:02 PM
I didn't like this pick when we made it....still don't. I hope he proves me wrong

I didn't like it either but I'm holding out hope. I still have visions of Rainey in my head. There were so many other positions of need on the board at that time of the draft.

st33lersguy
08-09-2014, 05:14 PM
I'd say hold out everyone important for the entire preseason so we don't lose someone important to a severe injury because otherwise someone important will suffer a serious injury

HollywoodSteel
08-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Well, he certainly showed a bit of something tonight with that one run after the catch. It seemed to me that if he just stuck to sideline at the end and turned on the jets he might have gotten more yards. Maybe even taken it to the house if he makes that defender have to dive to take him down and miss. Maybe he was just a little nervous to find himself in the open field with the ball for the first time in the NFL. He was fast, but knowing how fast he really is, I think he could could have turned it up to eleven.

bayz101
08-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Me either. I liked his play today though!

ALLD
08-10-2014, 08:04 AM
He was fast, but knowing how fast he really is, I think he could could have turned it up to eleven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

TMC
08-10-2014, 10:14 AM
I think the play he made is the type of thing he can do. If he gets the ball with a little space, he has the ability to get into space and turn on the speed. But, the more I watch of Archer, the more I think he does better when he has the space to get moving. The second reception where he was tackled quickly, the linebacker was closer and was able to get him before he turned his head and had space to move. On the punts, he makes the catch and he does not have space to get moving forward before the tacklers are there. In essence, he does not have space to get going before he is asked to make moves.

GBMelBlount
08-10-2014, 10:33 AM
I think the play he made is the type of thing he can do. If he gets the ball with a little space, he has the ability to get into space and turn on the speed. But, the more I watch of Archer, the more I think he does better when he has the space to get moving. The second reception where he was tackled quickly, the linebacker was closer and was able to get him before he turned his head and had space to move.

On the punts, he makes the catch and he does not have space to get moving forward before the tacklers are there. In essence, he does not have space to get going before he is asked to make moves.

I get the "space" thing....

But I think most good returners are instinctive and decisive.

I didn't see that.

Mojouw
08-10-2014, 11:28 AM
I didn't see the game. Only saw a few highlights, but this is the only place on the internet I have read so far that isn't raving about Archer's performance. Now, it is the firs pre-season game and I think it is usually best to take the good and bad with several grains of salt, but it seems that Archer is/was exactly what they said he was; a fast, raw, offensive utility tool.

On the long catch and run, #20 and #24 for the Giants took the extreme angle to pin Archer to the sideline, and he still almost beat them to the spot. That is stupid fast.

TMC
08-10-2014, 12:07 PM
I get the "space" thing....

But I think most good returners are instinctive and decisive.

I didn't see that.

Actually, the better punt returners have the ability to make the first guy miss and get up the field. That is the key to returning punts and you usually have to make that first guy miss as soon as you make the catch, not after you start running. It is that initial elusiveness that I do not see in Archer. As for being decisive, as a kick returner, he is very decisive. He comes out, selects his crease, and gets his ass into it and down the field, but he has the space to make those decisions and set guys up. Big difference. To me, both Archer and Bryant were disappointing as punt returners. I would not use them.

Mojouw, I get that people are excited. He had one reception where he took an inside cutting route, Ben hit him in stride, and he had a small crease he blew through. It went for 46 yards. Excellent play that showed all the things Archer does well. He makes the catch on his body, he sees lanes, he has speed to hurt teams. I think he also ran well. He had two carries, both inside runs, where he gained 9 yards. He is able to get behind the line and slip through for yards. I just do not know if I want Archer making his living running inside. I do not think he has the size/frame to take that beating.

But, outside of that, here is what he did. No kickoff returns because they kicked away from him. I would be willing to bet that most teams will. As a punt returner, he had 1 fair catch and 2 returns. He totaled 3 yards on 2 returns. Bryant was stuffed immediately on one return, fumbled another (went forward) and he fell on it. He gained 4 yards on those two returns. I do not consider Bryant's punt returns a success. Why would I consider Archer's returns a success. The only other time he touched the ball was on an angle route from the backfield, the LB picked him up coming out, closed in, and cut him down right after the catch.

I guess that one play, a play I think everyone thought he could make, is not enough to wash away the questions. He struggled as a punt returner. They kicked away from him on kick offs. When he was on the edge as an outside receiver, the DB had no issue with getting right into his face, washing him to the sideline, and rubbing him down the field negating his speed. I guess my question is, when you see Archer come on the field, why not just go dime and put a DB on him. There are plenty of smaller, faster inside DBs in the NFL that can body him short. He has not really ever been a factor down the field as a receiver, so why not take the chance of taking away his short routes until he proves he can beat you over the top?

Those that loved the pick will love his one play. I guess I just want to see him do something everyone said he would be able to do, like make catches down the field, return punts, flip the field on special teams, etc. I still do not see the significant difference between him and Chris Rainey on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me also add, this is not a statement about Bryant being good either. I think he had a bad night.

Mojouw
08-10-2014, 12:11 PM
TMC, great points. Clearly you watched the game and I did not, so I will not argue any of them.

It was the first preseason game. It was a vanilla game plan. Perhaps Archer is only a weapon when scheme can get him the ball in space. There are several lethally dangerous players in the NFL that the same can be said for. While I do not know if Archer can be honed into this kind of offensive weapon, he did demonstrate that his skills could play in the NFL - something Rainey never did.

TMC
08-10-2014, 12:24 PM
TMC, great points. Clearly you watched the game and I did not, so I will not argue any of them.

It was the first preseason game. It was a vanilla game plan. Perhaps Archer is only a weapon when scheme can get him the ball in space. There are several lethally dangerous players in the NFL that the same can be said for. While I do not know if Archer can be honed into this kind of offensive weapon, he did demonstrate that his skills could play in the NFL - something Rainey never did.

I do not argue that. Archer is what he is. He is a runningback that can slip into the slot. He is not a pure WR. He is excellent when you can get him the ball in space. If he has 3 yards between him and the defensive player, that defensive player is in trouble. Screens, dumps, checks, quick slants, crossers should be his area of excellence. Add in his potential as a kick returner. I get trying him as a punt returner and I would have him field all of them the first couple weeks. I just do not know if he can take the job from Brown, who is dynamic at it. I also think on passing downs, he can help you with draws.

But, isn't that what we got from Rainey? Granted, Archer is a better guy in the slot than Rainey, but they are pretty similar. And, I wonder if he has the complete game where defenses do not recognize his strengths and make adjustments to force him away from them. The key will be, can he still hurt defenses if they take away what he does well? In the NFL, most defenses have the ability to take away what you do well.

- - - Updated - - -

And, I do hold out hope he can improve as a WR and punt returner. We need players, playmakers, so I would rather have him be an elite guy.

Psycho Ward 86
08-10-2014, 01:41 PM
On the long catch and run, #20 and #24 for the Giants took the extreme angle to pin Archer to the sideline, and he still almost beat them to the spot. That is stupid fast.

This. A thousand times yes. I still think there were better picks on the board when we took Dri, but this was extremely overlooked

GBMelBlount
08-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Actually, the better punt returners have the ability to make the first guy miss and get up the field.

That is the key to returning punts and you usually have to make that first guy miss as soon as you make the catch, not after you start running.

Sure.

Still, the best returners have a tend to make decisions faster...

You know the returner that looks like he was just shot out of a cannon?

I realize each situation is different but all other things being equal I believe great returners make their reads faster and are more decisive...and spend less time deciding HOW to make that first guy miss after they have received the ball.

Anyway, I guess we will see how he develops.

Shoes
08-10-2014, 05:27 PM
I liked the Archer pick and I think he is going to pan out fine. The catch and run he had last night looked just like his college films.

Shoes
08-10-2014, 10:16 PM
It's amazing how much ground Archer covered in a few seconds…with a lot of blue shirts around him.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/steelers-film-room-rb-dri-archer-46-yard-reception-giants/