PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin wants players to show 'urgency' Saturday against Giants

polamalubeast
08-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers will not put a greater emphasis on trying to win preseason games despite what happened in 2013 when they started with eight consecutive losses.

But Tomlin did acknowledge he wants his players – veterans and rookies – to play faster and with greater urgency when the Steelers open the preseason Saturday night against the New York Giants in East Rutherford, N.J.

“What we’re looking for the first time out is really quite simple – I want the group to play fast, I want them to play with the urgency that’s required to play winning football in a stadium setting,” Tomlin said today during a morning news conference at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. “At this stage of the journey, we’ll see where we are. What’s paramount is we play fast, we play hard and we play with urgency.”

The Steelers went winless in four preseason games in 2013, then followed that by starting the regular season 0-4. It was only the third time since 1970 that the Steelers went winless in the preseason.

In each instance – 1987, 2006, 2013 -- the Steelers won only eight games during the regular season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/08/07/Tomlin-wants-players-to-show-urgency-in/stories/201408070307#ixzz39lDTKfrJ

Moose
08-08-2014, 05:44 PM
I hate to agree with this, but I have to. Normally preseason means nothing to me other than to watch rookies and grade accordingly, but after the past couple season's I think it's necessary for them to come out with fire and light it up.

SteelerFanInStl
08-09-2014, 09:26 AM
I remember so many people saying last season that "It's only preseason" when we didn't win a single preseason game. Then we continued to play the same way in the regular season.

The win/loss doesn't matter but playing poorly does. We have to get off to a much better start this year.

Edman
08-09-2014, 09:42 PM
After tonight.

The Defense definitely has urgency and attitude. They're playing like they give a shit. Of course, they scored our only Touchdown.

The Offense...lol. More evidence that our Offense really lacks leadership and even decent depth. If Ben is out for any amount of time, the Steelers are fucked. Wish we still had Batch, but he can't play forever.

So we're halfway there.

fansince'76
08-09-2014, 09:45 PM
If Ben is injured for any length of time...season over.

Shoes
08-09-2014, 09:48 PM
If Ben is injured for any length of time...season over.

I think that would be true for a lot of teams.

fansince'76
08-09-2014, 09:49 PM
I think that would be true for a lot of teams.

Actually, the Broncos are even worse off than we are if Peyton goes down. Brock Osweiler? LOL

polamalubeast
08-09-2014, 09:50 PM
After tonight.

The Defense definitely has urgency...and attitude. They're playing like they give a shit. Of course, they scored our only Touchdown.

The Offense...lol. More evidence that our Offense really lacks leadership.

So we're halfway there.
LOL, for your comment on offense

Roethlisberger only played one drive and attempts just 2 pass and they made a FG on this drive.....

Of course, if the QB is Bruce or Jones, the Steelers are in trouble

Shoes
08-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Actually, the Broncos are even worse off than we are if Peyton goes down. Brock Osweiler? LOL

You read my mind Bro… :chuckle:

polamalubeast
08-09-2014, 09:54 PM

Several team would be terrible without their number one QB

In the playoffs team of last year....Panthers,saints,49ers(with Gabbert),packers,patriots,Denver,chargers,colts are not the same team without their QB

fansince'76
08-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Hate to say it, but Adams is looking like another bad second round whiff by the FO.

Shoes
08-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Hate to say it, but Adams is looking like another bad second round whiff by the FO.

Time to trade him for a bag of jelly beans.

MrPgh
08-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Well for wanting to show some urgency, I thought the 2nd and 3rd teams played kind of vanilla.

Steelerette
08-09-2014, 10:31 PM
There was nothing abjectly terrible tonight besides giving up that long run... got to have some looks at a lot of guys.

The trouble is I didn't see all too much urgency. Maybe from Mauro and HoJo. All in all the team seemed to come out flat and basically stay that way.

I think Justin Brown earned himself some additional looks. Wing was too streaky... I'd rather have consistent 40 yard punts, than sometimes 55, sometimes 20. But it was preseason game 1... even if he doesn't get his head on straight it's probably still better than Podlesh.

Now watch Foster wind up having to miss half the season for a double concussion for his eye poke.

86WARD
08-10-2014, 06:17 AM
Well there was Bryant. He was pretty terrible. Hopefully he learns from it and grows in a positive direction.

fansince'76
08-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Well there was Bryant. He was pretty terrible. Hopefully he learns from it and grows in a positive direction.

SWEEEEEEEEEED! (Just kidding!)

:chuckle:

steelerdude15
08-10-2014, 08:38 AM
I liked what I saw from the starting offensive line. Other than one time that I can remember, the line didn't allow defenders in the backfield. They did a good job pass blocking and run blocking. They also would execute their blocks and follow through with their assignment. I also saw Pouncey and DeCastro playing with a little bit of an edge. If this line can stay healthy, I think our line will be really good this year.

SteelerFanInStl
08-10-2014, 09:33 AM
The trouble is I didn't see all too much urgency. Maybe from Mauro and HoJo. All in all the team seemed to come out flat and basically stay that way.

I agree. I really didn't see much throughout the whole game other than the first offensive drive.

polamalubeast
08-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Several team were awful offensively with their 2nd or 3rd QB this week....To say that our Offense really lack leadership is ridiculous

The offense scored 27 PPG in their last eight games last year, so I'm not worried...If it was the starters who would have been awful yesterday, it would have been a different story, but that was not the case

stillers4me
08-10-2014, 11:01 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEED! (Just kidding!)

:chuckle:

I hope this has a better ending.

Steeldude
08-11-2014, 02:55 PM
I see that went as well as "Unleash hell".

X-Terminator
08-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I see that went as well as "Unleash hell".

Preseason dude. After the starters were done, all bets are off.

As I've often said repeatedly, and everyone just dismisses out-of-hand, the point of the preseason, aside from evaluating rookies and depth players, is to get through it without any major injuries to key starters. Period. Anyone putting any other emphasis is taking this WAY too seriously.

muncher
08-12-2014, 01:56 PM

As I've often said repeatedly, and everyone just dismisses out-of-hand, the point of the preseason, aside from evaluating rookies and depth players, is to get through it without any major injuries to key starters. Period. Anyone putting any other emphasis is taking this WAY too seriously.

i must have missed the part where tomlin said only the starters need to play with urgency and the rest of the guys can F the dog for the remaining 85% of the game

polamalubeast
08-12-2014, 02:17 PM
i must have missed the part where tomlin said only the starters need to play with urgency and the rest of the guys can F the dog for the remaining 85% of the game

The problem was the lack of talent of the offense(QB) in the other unit, not a lack of sense of urgency....It's not a concern this game, since Jones and Bruce will not be the QB of the Steelers

fansince'76
08-12-2014, 08:15 PM

http://thumbs.newschoolers.com/index.php?src=http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/1c/1cd234e6_half-trollface.jpeg&size=400x1000

X-Terminator
08-12-2014, 08:39 PM

Thanks for proving my point, brainiac.

Steeldude
08-21-2014, 09:46 PM

Starters(not all) looked bad. Still say it's just pre-season? It may be pre-season, but if the starters play poorly for an entire half how can it be shrugged off as nothing? Just my opinion : )

Hopefully it is just rust.

Shoes
08-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Starters(not all) looked bad. Still say it's just pre-season? It may be pre-season, but if the starters play poorly for an entire half how can it be shrugged off as nothing? Just my opinion : )

No rust for Ike, he just picked up with the PI's where he left off last year. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
08-21-2014, 09:56 PM

I think the Bell Blount affair distracted the whole team. Let's see how they recover for the next game (usually really meaningless) and in the first game of the season.

Shoes
08-21-2014, 10:00 PM
I think the Bell Blount affair distracted the whole team. Let's see how they recover for the next game (usually really meaningless) and in the first game of the season.

I don't buy that at all, this same logic was used about Adams playing badly last year. If these guys are so swayed by this kind of emotion and life's events they are in big trouble on and off the football field.

Psycho Ward 86
08-21-2014, 10:03 PM
nothing to boost your confidence like watching the starters get whooped by the eagle starters and 2nd stringers. ugh...

Count Steeler
08-21-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't buy that at all, this is same logic was used about Adams playing badly last year. If these guys are so swayed by this kind of emotion and life's events they are in big trouble.

What did they have, 1 day of prep? Then yesterday was the sideshow. I will give them this excuse for this game, not for the whole season.

BTW, the Mike Adams project should end. Now. Keep someone who perhaps does not have the same size, but has a brain and a heart.

Shoes
08-21-2014, 10:10 PM
What did they have, 1 day of prep? Then yesterday was the sideshow. I will give them this excuse for this game, not for the whole season.

BTW, the Mike Adams project should end. Now. Keep someone who perhaps does not have the same size, but has a brain and a heart.

Sorry I can't give Ike an excuse…..he looks like he did last year! :chuckle:

Count Steeler
08-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Sorry I can't give Ike an excuse…..he looks like he did last year! :chuckle:

Ike is a liability. He has to sit. I think he had at least 4 penalties tonight. Don't know what they are going to do at CB, but Taylor is done.

Steelerette
08-21-2014, 10:59 PM
On the bright side, Gradkowski was decent.

86WARD
08-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Urgency in Giants game. Not Eagles game.

GBMelBlount
08-22-2014, 12:56 PM

BTW, the Mike Adams project should end. Now.

Keep someone who perhaps does not have the same size, but has a brain and a heart.

Amen.

muncher
08-22-2014, 02:11 PM
tomlin must not have given anyone the urgency speech

SteelerFanInStl
08-22-2014, 02:37 PM
It looked to me like Tomlin "unleashed Hell" last night.

GBMelBlount
08-22-2014, 04:04 PM

I think that is very possible. In fact they all looked stoned if you ask me.