PDA

View Full Version : MMQB Mail: Roethlisberger relies on his actions as he rehabs image

siss
08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
MMQB Mail: Roethlisberger relies on his actions as he rehabs image

Ben Roethlisberger did not play in the Steelers' first preseason game last weekend.
Icon SMI

LATROBE, Pa. -- Thirteen months ago, I convened five NFL quarterbacks in a room in Lake Tahoe to have a wide-ranging discussion for Sports Illustrated on the state of the position today. But it almost didn't happen the way I wanted it.
The day before we were to sit down in a restaurant overlooking a golf course, Ben Roethlisberger, who had won his second Super Bowl a few months earlier, told me he wasn't going to do it. Didn't want to. Was too busy. I told him he agreed to do it, and he had to keep his word -- months of planning and arm-twisting had gone into it. So Roethlisberger did it, but he wasn't happy about it.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/17/mail/

BigNastyDefense
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Rooney told me in March that Roethlisberger's actions would speak much louder than any words he said. Not much has changed in that regard -- except Roethlisberger is off to a good start doing the right things.

I think this is a good sign. I do think that Ben Roethlisberger (the kid who was fines as a rookie for writing PFJ -Play for Jesus on his cleats) ended up turning into his on-field persona Big Ben (swagger, thinks he can make every play, headstrong) when off the field. I hope he has truly learned his lesson (and I think he has) and has changed off the field for good.

I just hope that it doesn't effect him on the field. I still want Big Ben on the gridiron.

Kaeg
08-17-2010, 08:11 PM
He used to avoid the never-ending autograph lines in camp; now, daily, he signs.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/17/mail/#ixzz0wupbU98u

I thought I've heard quite the opposite here. Wasn't he known for being good enough to sign a lot for people? I don't know personally, but it's the impression I've been under.

BigNastyDefense
08-17-2010, 08:59 PM
I thought I've heard quite the opposite here. Wasn't he known for being good enough to sign a lot for people? I don't know personally, but it's the impression I've been under.

What I have heard is that he would sign for kids but not adults. And he wouldn't sign for long, maybe 5-10 minutes then he was done. Therefore he got a bad wrap for not signing.

What a lot of people don't understand is that there is limited free time in training camp. There are meetings, workouts in the weight room, scheduled meals, and the players might want to work on their own too.

Also, the players just got done practicing for an hour or more. Their hot, sweaty, stinky. Sometimes, especially after a bad practice, they just want to take a shower.

No person, no matter the wealth or fame, are obligated to sign autographs and take photos. I understand why he wouldn't sign for adults. I have seen adults move kids aside to get the autograph, just to throw it on Ebay and sell it.