PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Markus Wheaton set to break out

polamalubeast
08-04-2014, 06:19 PM
LATROBE, Pa. -- The wide receiver who debuted as a starter on the Pittsburgh Steelers' first depth chart of the season said he isn’t trying to impress anyone but himself.

Fortunately for the Steelers nobody is apparently harder on Markus Wheaton than Markus Wheaton.

That explains why he sometimes leaves his dorm room at St. Vincent College after the 11 p.m. ET bed check and slips downstairs at Rooney Hall so he can watch film.

“I’m always checking out my game and trying to figure out how I can get better,” Wheaton said.

Few things would help the Steelers’ passing game more than if Wheaton is appreciably better after a nagging finger injury limited him to 152 snaps last season and essentially made his rookie season a lost one on the field.

The issues with a broken pinkie that required several surgeries appear to be in Wheaton’s rear view mirror, and he has a clear path to the field with Emmanuel Sanders in Denver and Jerricho Cotchery in Carolina.

That Wheaton is No. 1 on the Steelers’ first depth chart at wide receiver is confirmation that the starting job is his to lose.

“I’m glad that they are pushing me to take that spot,” Wheaton said. “I obviously want that spot but there are a lot of good guys competing for that spot. There will be a lot of competition and a lot of growth from the competition. I’m looking for growth every day and I think with that growth I will prove that I can hold that spot down.”

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/134004/steelers-markus-wheaton-set-to-break-out