PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert shaping up fast for Steelers

stillers4me
08-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Steelers offensive right tackle Marcus Gilbert always possessed the natural talent to excel in the NFL. Now, he believes he has developed the off-field habits that will help him take the next step in his career.

Gilbert, a second-round draft pick out of Florida in 2011, said he is feeling strong and confident after following a strict diet over the offseason that has improved his fitness level. If the first week of training camp is any indication, Gilbert is primed for a strong season. He has been one of the most impressive offensive linemen in the first week of workouts.

Gilbert has been a brick wall in one-on-one pass-rush drills and has teamed up with David DeCastro on the right side of the line to provide some running lanes in team drills...........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/08/02/Offensive-tackle-Gilbert-shapes-up-fast/stories/201408020103#ixzz39FF3iPdN

tube517
08-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Munch, please get Gilbert some contacts so he doesn't trip up the whole OL

Mojouw
08-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Well, sounds like they are opening extension talks with Gilbert. Saw it over at Steelers Depot.

Guess they like what they see.

GBMelBlount
08-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Quite the coincidence he is kicking it into gear at contract time.

Edman
08-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Now, if only we can get the Left Tackle position fixed.

Psycho Ward 86
08-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Quite the coincidence he is kicking it into gear at contract time.

see, now if we had that attitude about every player that starts to make a good job in a contract year, we wouldnt have a lot of good players locked up at all. you have to take a couple risks along with a couple safe picks for contract extensions. some of these guys genuinely needed the entire duration of their rookie contracts to live up to their billing. especially our defensive players because of the notorious complexity of dick lebeau's defense

steelreserve
08-02-2014, 04:35 PM
see, now if we had that attitude about every player that starts to make a good job in a contract year, we wouldnt have a lot of good players locked up at all. you have to take a couple risks along with a couple safe picks for contract extensions. some of these guys genuinely needed the entire duration of their rookie contracts to live up to their billing. especially our defensive players because of the notorious complexity of dick lebeau's defense

Can I just say that you read that all the time about our defense, and I think it's the biggest cop-out, load of BS ever? All the free agents we sign on defense come right in and do fine. Mitchell will probably do fine this season as well. It does NOT take two or three years to learn, unless maybe you're sub-par at learning. Rookies might have all kinds of other reasons why they don't succeed right away, but that's not one of them. I wish we/people/media would all stop repeating the "omg Lebeau's complicated defense" as the go-to explanation for everyone who struggles or doesn't start right away, because it's really just not true at all.

GBMelBlount
08-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Can I just say that you read that all the time about our defense, and I think it's the biggest cop-out, load of BS ever? All the free agents we sign on defense come right in and do fine. Mitchell will probably do fine this season as well. It does NOT take two or three years to learn, unless maybe you're sub-par at learning. Rookies might have all kinds of other reasons why they don't succeed right away, but that's not one of them. I wish we/people/media would all stop repeating the "omg Lebeau's complicated defense" as the go-to explanation for everyone who struggles or doesn't start right away, because it's really just not true at all.

Good point.

Again, it sounds like the season where having a good season could net him an extra $10 million in his contract is coincidentally the first offseason where he apparently really gave a shit.

he (Gilbert) is feeling strong and confident after following a strict diet over the offseason that has improved his fitness level

Craic
08-02-2014, 06:30 PM

I agree that it's used as a copout at times, but I think we also should remember that it IS quite a bit more complex that the normal setup. Normal defense (4-3) LBs are either flowing to a runner or covering an overload/RB/TE, unless there's a true blitz called. Lineman each go forward and try to hit the QB/stop a runner. That's it. The normal 3-4 is a tad more complicated, but essentially is the same thing with one of the LBs taking on the task of DL for that play (by that I mean, either rushing, or occupying a O line player, or taking a gap).

Then, there's Lebeau's defense. How many times have you seen a DE step into pass coverage? I remember it happening a few times, or the safeties doubling as MLBs and CBs becoming edge rushers. Then, there's the whole CB = run defense that is foreign to most defenses. The fluidity and constant motion of our defense makes it very difficult to learn. Such movement can leave a lot of holes if the rookies can't pick up immediately what is happening. And that's not just head knowledge. It's being able to identify on the field that the SS sees something and is moving in to take the MLB position, which means the FS has to adjust, putting the LCB on an island when he was supposed to receive help. So, does the LILB stay in his area of coverage, does he shoot out at the snap to cover the SF position, does he move over and double the receiver, or . . . does he trust the SS and follow him in to clean up?

While those decisions may be made by every player on defense on every team now and then, they're constant decisions in Lebeau's defense--hence, much more complicated. Especially when we realize that the MLBs may be on a crossing blitz and the LILB now has to wonder whether to call out of it (or understand one of the million adjustments one of the other DBs might call).

So again, I get what you're saying and you're right. We need to stop using it as an excuse (and for the D-line, I can't really see how it's that difficult of a defense unless you're called to drop in coverage). But I also think we should remember that there IS credence to the sentiment.

steelreserve
08-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Good point.

Again, it sounds like the season where having a good season could net him an extra $10 million in his contract is coincidentally the first offseason where he apparently really gave a shit.

Yeah, it could be that ... or it could be that it's the first season where he has some good coaching. It's also possible it finally hit home that we were about out of patience with him.

I don't know. I never really got the doesn't-care vibe from Gilbert; if anything, it seemed like he might have been a little lost. Hopefully what happens is that Munchak gets him straightened out, and also we sign him before the season to a mid-range contract that pays him increasingly well if he becomes a regular contributor over the next few years. Then everybody comes out on the right side of things.

GBMelBlount
08-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Yeah, it could be that ... or it could be that it's the first season where he has some good coaching. It's also possible it finally hit home that we were about out of patience with him.

I don't know. I never really got the doesn't-care vibe from Gilbert; if anything, it seemed like he might have been a little lost. Hopefully what happens is that Munchak gets him straightened out, and also we sign him before the season to a mid-range contract that pays him increasingly well if he becomes a regular contributor over the next few years. Then everybody comes out on the right side of things.

I will go out on a limb and say coaching is not what kept him away from the buffet this offseason.

Regardless, between skipping the buffet once a week, having another year of maturity, and a top shelf coach, I expect him to do well.

Like you, I hope he is signed at a good price with a good bit of compensation tied to performance.

Mojouw
08-03-2014, 11:19 AM
In general it takes some time for some young players to "get it". For Gilbert it took a couple of rough NFL seasons for him to run out of excuxes/explanations to himself and finally admit that he needed to work at his craft outside of the practice field and meeting room. The last couple of years have likely been the first time in his life he simply was not automatically better then the opponent lined up across from him out of pure physical ability.

I think that some of that is why rookies struggle to learn the defense and vet FA's do not. Younger players, even some from major college programs, do not really know how to adapt and succeed with the mental stuff. Also, maybe some guys are just dumb? But you need to coach to the players you have - not some abstract ideal player for your system. I am greatly encouraged with the increased rate that the Steelers are now playing rookie and 2nd-3rd year players.

That is how you can afford to play a few guys top $$$ and still compete for championships with the cap. Vet stars supplemented by good young CHEAP players.