PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will sample the art of cut blocking

stillers4me
07-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Before there were multimillion-dollar contracts, Steelers offensive linemen routinely chopped down their teammates with cut blocks in training camp. Under Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll, it was commonplace to witness a lineman placing his shoulder and helmet low against a defensive lineman or linebacker and taking out his legs to prevent him from making a play. Noll knew the best way to prepare his players was through repetition, and the only way to do that was in practice.

That all went away once NFL owners realized there was no sense in putting their highly paid players in danger for the sake of practice. But the financially motivated decision from owners has made life difficult for offensive linemen, who continue to be asked to cut defenders in games.

Just ask right guard David DeCastro, whose poorly executed cut block in the opener against Tennessee last season resulted in him knocking out teammate Maurkice Pouncey for the season.

The Steelers did not practice cut blocking once a year ago at camp under former line coach Jack Bicknell. New offensive line coach Mike Munchak is not making the same mistake. He will have his linemen go through cut-blocking drills during camp that could prevent another catastrophic injury.

“It’s helpful,” DeCastro said. “He knows what he’s doing.”.......

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/07/31/Cut-block-won-t-be-staple-of-practice/stories/201407310222#ixzz395iEmO4h

steelreserve
07-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Well, if they're going to do it (which I'm still not sure I like), I'm glad they're at least getting taught by a guy who knows what's going on.

If they were really serious about getting live practice in, they should just pay a few homeless guys $50 to be the pass rushers for that drill. A bum rush - get it?