PDA

View Full Version : It's fitting that No. 75 is officially retired

stillers4me
07-30-2014, 08:16 PM
It was Sunday, Dec. 10, 1972, and the Pittsburgh Steelers needed a champion. Still a franchise that never had won even a division title in any of its previous 39 seasons in the National Football League, these Steelers had arrived in Houston the day before with a 9-3 record that led the AFC Central Division by one game over the 8-4 Cleveland Browns, and by two games over the 7-5 Cincinnati Bengals. The day’s opponent was to be the 1-11 Oilers.

It sounds like a pretty simple task when stated that way, but even way back then the NFL didn’t allow teams to play games on paper. Matters had to be settled on the field, and once the ball was teed up in the Astrodome that day, 9-3 and 1-11 quickly were rendered moot.

Defensive end L.C. Greenwood and guard Sam Davis were out. Left tackle Jon Kolb and guard Gerry Mullins had the flu, and while Kolb played, Mullins only made it into the third quarter.

Defensive end L.C. Greenwood and guard Sam Davis were out. Left tackle Jon Kolb and guard Gerry Mullins had the flu, and while Kolb played, Mullins only made it into the third quarter. Guard Bruce Van Dyke pulled a calf muscle in the first quarter and was done for the day. Center Jim Clack injured an ankle and was done for the day. Craig Hanneman, Greenwood’s backup at defensive end, aggravated a knee injury and was done for the day. Defensive end Dwight White injured a knee. Defensive tackle Steve Furness injured an ankle. Flanker Ron Shanklin was injured in the first quarter and was done for the day. Quarterback Terry Bradshaw dislocated a finger in the second quarter and was done for the day. And tight end Larry Brown, who would grow into an offensive tackle by the end of the decade, was that day playing flanker because of the injury situation.

And remember, this was 1972 before the Immaculate Reception. The Steelers had no magic, never had. They were supposed to lose games like this, because they always did............

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Its-fitting-that-No-75-is-officially-retired/6951d7d8-70bd-4d83-848f-e2b166b44419

katmandu
07-30-2014, 08:23 PM
75 shoulda ben retired YEARS ago. Don't know why the Steelers waited so long to do so.

After reading the whole article, I agree there are so many others that "could" fit the bill to have their number retired, but Mean Joe was a cut-above the rest. As Rooney said, Where do you draw the line ?

The Steelers do not flaunt their achievments with flashy banners etc.... BUT I believe they NEED to do so in an appropriate Ceremony at a game in Heinz Field. Retiring Mean Joe's #75 NEEDS to be flaunted and celebrated !

There will never be another Mean Joe Greene IMHO.

ALLD
07-30-2014, 08:32 PM
As I have posted in the past, IMO the greatest Steeler of all time. Without him we may have won one or two Super Bowls, but there would not have been such a dynasty and the aura surrounding the team.