PDA

View Full Version : Dixon's performance muddles Steelers' QB battle

polamalubeast
08-17-2010, 05:35 AM
Depending on one's vantage point, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin added clarity to the quarterback situation.

Or, he further muddled it when he indicated that the Steelers will play two quarterbacks while starter Ben Roethlisberger serves a four-game suspension at the start of the regular season.

Byron Leftwich appears to have a tight grip on the starting job, but Tomlin said after practice Monday that he is open to getting Dennis Dixon into games if he begins the season as the Steelers' No. 2 signal-caller.

"That's why we've continually worked on a package (of plays) solely for him not only here in training camp but back in the spring at our place," Tomlin said.

read more

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_695168.html

polamalubeast
08-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Tomlin and Arians also came as close to acknowledging that Byron Leftwich will open the season as their starting quarterback while Roethlisberger serves his suspension of at least four games. Until now, their actions have pointed that way but they've maintained a public stance that Dennis Dixon was competing for that job.

Instead, they revealed Monday that they have prepared special packages for Dixon, and Arians said they want to use both quarterbacks.

"We've continually worked on a package that's built solely for him not only here in training camp but back in the spring at our place," Tomlin said.

Arians called it a "normal day" at practice.

"Ben was at one, Byron at 2. Dennis has his package, it's not necessarily with the 2s or the 3s, it's a special package. When you play without Ben, you're going to utilize all the players you have. So he'll have a package, and how he plays within that package will determine how much he plays. I'm not against playing both of them."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10229/1080515-66.stm#ixzz0wrJVBPVs

HometownGal
08-17-2010, 05:53 AM
Hey - whatever works - that's where I'm at. :thumbsup: It will be kind of cool to have a two-headed monster at QB.

Wallace108
08-17-2010, 06:04 AM
I agree, HTG. Normally, I don't like the idea of using two quarterbacks. But in a situation like this, I'm all for it. It gives defenses more to worry about and more they have to prepare for.

Moose
08-17-2010, 08:00 AM
I agree also HTG--but I would like to see Dixon behind the wheel a little more, just to see what he has and how those feet move. I'd love to see a QB that is just as dangerous IN the pocket as OUT of the pocket....at least on OUR team ! I still don't have a lot of faith in our O line and think our QB is going to take a beatin' if he isn't mobile. I just don't see where we picked anyone up to shore that line. Ben can withstand some sacks, but his amount is dwindling fast with the concussion problems, Lefty can't move at all, and Dixon seems our best bet for mobility.

Killer
08-17-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't think we have any other choice. If Lefty stumbles moving the offense, they better yank him and put Dixon in there.

hotrodder07
08-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Interesting that he has his own package of plays. I thought I saw an option run out of the shotgun in the second quarter, so that must have been one of them. I still would like to see Dixon have a chance to run the first-team offense, but it doesn't seem like he'll get that chance. I do like that he will be playing with his own package of plays during the regular season, though. It adds another dimention to our offense.

steelpride12
08-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Yes Dixon could be used for many different things and options on offense even if he is not the starting QB. He can run like hell and throw so why not use a wildcat/gadget formation on occasion and if worse comes to worse we know we can trust him if Lefty stumbles in a game.

Nadroj 20
08-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Whatever works I'm fine with. As long as the ball is moving down the field getting us at least 3 but mostly 6 points..cool.

Indo
08-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Let me start by saying that I like Dixon. And I agree that he needs to be under center if Lefty flounders, but I was a bit concerned with the fact that he needed to step up into the pocket rather than take off running so often. there were several plays that he needed to let the pocket develop and he could have thrown for 15-20+ yards. Also, on one scramble to the left, Sanders was standing all alone about 15 yards down field. Like Hines said, he needs more reps in actual game time. He'll get there...

polamalubeast
08-17-2010, 10:53 AM
It would be nice if the steelers use Dixon as the eagles have used Michael Vick last year.

Its going very well in the month of December when Vick seemed to regain his form.

SteelMember
08-17-2010, 11:03 AM
While I am a fan of Dixon getting his chance, I don't what to see him become, or thought of as a Vick/Stewart type player. Yes, he is mobile, but he does have a good arm. He proved as much in college. I don't think he's lost that. Putting in packages for the simple aspect of making you opposition prepare for them is always a good thing, but making him be one dimensional isn't why we drafted him in the 1st place. He's not built to take hits like Ben, or even lefty, so I can understand why he runs for the sideline so fast.

It's his awareness that needs to improve. The "threat" of running will always be there.

O'Malley
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Being from Oregon I had the chance to watch Dix play every Saturday. Before he was injured his senior year he was in the running for the Heisman and had Oregon in the hunt a championship. He can throw the deep ball and IMO is more accurate then he is given credit for. I think the reason why he does not stay in the pocket is because he is more comfortalbe throwing on the move. I would like to see him have the chance to start and prove he has what it takes to fill in for Ben.