PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Tuitt is getting snaps with the 1st team

Psycho Ward 86
07-30-2014, 05:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-money-spend-mulling-worthy-220230440--nfl.html

BATTLE OF THE WEEK: Rookie defensive end Stephon Tuitt, the team's second-round draft pick from Notre Dame, was taking some snaps with the first team. He and veteran Cam Thomas are competing to start on the left side. Thomas was signed as a free agent from San Diego, where he lost his job as starting nose tackle late last season.

Shoes
07-30-2014, 07:57 PM
I really like Tuitt, he seems like a very mature and wise young man for his years.

katmandu
07-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Tuitt is going to be a MONSTER for us !!

Chidi29
07-30-2014, 10:27 PM
DL gets rotated heavily so saying Tuitt is running with first team is a bit misleading. He has seen reps as first team nickel. Still anticipate Thomas to be your Week One starter.

Steeltreal
07-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Tuitt is going to be a MONSTER for us !!
eventually

Psycho Ward 86
07-31-2014, 12:06 AM
DL gets rotated heavily so saying Tuitt is running with first team is a bit misleading. He has seen reps as first team nickel. Still anticipate Thomas to be your Week One starter.

he wasnt with the first team in the base defense at all?

TMC
07-31-2014, 05:30 AM
Still anticipate Thomas to be your Week One starter.

Don't know about that one just yet. I was not a big Tuitt fan leading up to the draft. I thought he was good, not great. Then, I read where the Steelers coaches were talking about he played too heavy in 2013 and his 2012 season was much better. I usually try to keep my film in the current year on a guy unless he changes positions, has an injury, or warrants another reason to go back and check the previous season. When the coaches said that, I went back.

His 2012 tape is downright scary. He is an exceptionally athletic 300-pound guy. I mean, freakishly athletic. Cam Thomas isn't. In 4 seasons with San Diego, Thomas only started 15 games. SD played him mainly at the nose, and he lost that job to an undrafted player. He is not explosive, he has not found a QB in 2 years, and he just does not appear to be more than a 2-down run stopper and a marginal one at best.

With the news that McCullers is flashing in camp and if another young player steps up, I would not be shocked if the Steelers considered a guy like Keisel and parted ways with Thomas. He got $1M to sign and to me, that is not enough to guarantee you a roster spot, especially if some younger talent outperforms you.

Chidi29
07-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Oh I don't know about Thomas being a camp cut. I don't like him either, he's a one tech now playing the five, but I see depth at DE being a big issue. With Tuitt being just 21, I don't think they're going to throw a crazy high number of snaps at him. He's going to wear down as the year goes on. I'd actually prefer keeping Keisel and Thomas. Give Keisel 300 or so snaps and you lighten the load on the other guys.

- - - Updated - - -

he wasnt with the first team in the base defense at all?

The DL gets rotated more heavily than the linebackers or DBs. So it's not uncommon to see Josh Mauro and Ethan Hemer playing on the same group as Timmons and Troy. So maybe that's throwing some people off. But I haven't seen him with McLendon and Heyward at the same time. I'll try to look out for it. Maybe I'm the one who missed it.

Dwinsgames
07-31-2014, 01:24 PM
I know Chidi is not a fan of Mauro , but I believe he has a very good chance at making the final 53 , perhaps even a better chance than Cam Thomas at this point ( I am not a fan of Thomas and hated the signing ) now with the STD reports ( herpes is like luggage you keep that shit forever ) many may not be interested in having that in the locker room and then there is the bad publicity that comes along with it too ( never been a Rooney favorite thing to have on the team ) ... not saying he will be cut but without a very strong camp he very well may be

Psycho Ward 86
07-31-2014, 05:36 PM
Oh I don't know about Thomas being a camp cut. I don't like him either, he's a one tech now playing the five, but I see depth at DE being a big issue. With Tuitt being just 21, I don't think they're going to throw a crazy high number of snaps at him. He's going to wear down as the year goes on. I'd actually prefer keeping Keisel and Thomas. Give Keisel 300 or so snaps and you lighten the load on the other guys.

- - - Updated - - -

The DL gets rotated more heavily than the linebackers or DBs. So it's not uncommon to see Josh Mauro and Ethan Hemer playing on the same group as Timmons and Troy. So maybe that's throwing some people off. But I haven't seen him with McLendon and Heyward at the same time. I'll try to look out for it. Maybe I'm the one who missed it.

lol thanks for crushing my dreams. whats the word on nick williams?

Chidi29
07-31-2014, 10:28 PM
lol thanks for crushing my dreams. whats the word on nick williams?

Quiet. Third team DE, fighting for snaps. Remember Mike Adams driving him off the ball the other day. Unlikely to make it as things stand today.