PDA

View Full Version : Sean Spence says he's optimistic, has 'total confidence' in future

stillers4me
07-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Sean Spence, meet Rocky Bleier. Fifteen years from now, Spence could be earning a living by traveling the country and retelling his inspirational story.

He could take some inspiration of his own from the story that is Bleier's. Granted, Spence's tale does not contain the drama of Bleier's, whose foot was mangled by shrapnel in a Vietnamese jungle. Spence's knee was blown up on home ground at Heinz Field as the rookie linebacker chased down a quarterback.

Yet, their long, seemingly impossible comeback attempts in football parallel one another. Bleier's was a miracle. Spence's is still a possible miracle in the making...........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/07/28/Steelers-3rd-year-linebacker-Sean-Spence-to-take-biggest-step-yet/stories/201407280088#ixzz38o90ieUj

GBMelBlount
07-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Spence's is still a possible miracle in the making...........

Hopefully the best is still unwritten...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7k0a5hYnSI

Psycho Ward 86
07-28-2014, 07:26 PM
probably going to get some flak for this, but i dont understand where he matches up in the steelers plans. We have a stalwart at ILB in Timmons, a probable future superstar at ILB in Shazier, a guy we are absolutely counting on to pan out at OLB in Jarvis, and a guy who's either going to be a productive starter for this coming year or many or many more to come (Worilds). Not to mention a backup ILB/OLB in Arthur Moats who has been hyped pretty hard this offseason. He has been speculated as a safety project but we already have troy on a 3 year extension, mike mitchell as one of our safeties of the future, shamarko thomas as troy's likely heir apparent, a decent veteran in will allen, and some promise in robert golden.

there are teams all over the league that have more than 2 strong talents at OLB or DE, but ive never heard of one with possibly 3 or more at ILB. somehow i dont feel like we'll get luck and be able to keep 3 very good starting caliber ILB's on the team for very long

Shoes
07-28-2014, 07:43 PM
probably going to get some flak for this, but i dont understand where he matches up in the steelers plans. We have a stalwart at ILB in Timmons, a probable future superstar at ILB in Shazier, a guy we are absolutely counting on to pan out at OLB in Jarvis, and a guy who's either going to be a productive starter for this coming year or many or many more to come (Worilds). Not to mention a backup ILB/OLB in Arthur Moats who has been hyped pretty hard this offseason. He has been speculated as a safety project but we already have troy on a 3 year extension, mike mitchell as one of our safeties of the future, shamarko thomas as troy's likely heir apparent, a decent veteran in will allen, and some promise in robert golden.

there are teams all over the league that have more than 2 strong talents at OLB or DE, but ive never heard of one with possibly 3 or more at ILB. somehow i dont feel like we'll get luck and be able to keep 3 very good starting caliber ILB's on the team for very long

It's early, training camp just started and there are 4 preseason games to go. Lots of time for players to get injured. I don't think the Rooney's will give up on Spence if he is able to hold up.

Count Steeler
07-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Still think he will be a safety/ILB hybrid, if he still has his ball hawking and speed skills.

tube517
07-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Its a good question. I see him on special teams and spot duty. Moats is only a 1 yr contract. Its better to have depth rather than having to play your safety at ILB

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Shoes
07-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Tunch on the LB's @ 22:20 He was impressed with Shazier and liked what he saw in Spence.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/LIVE_1st_practice_in_pads/e8303365-9f6f-4182-be5a-0d4d28e0a494

Craic
07-28-2014, 10:34 PM

No flak from me, it's a well thought out question. The thing for me, however, is that I don't see us going into the season with no backups at the ILB position. We kept 9 LBs on the team last year. So I can see him most definitely be given a shot to be number 2 at both ILB position, maybe even playing in subpackages if he's got good ball skills. It'd be nice to have another LB that can both cover and play the run in those sub packages.

steelreserve
07-28-2014, 11:08 PM

Who cares, you see if he's any good and let the rest work itself out later. If he's good enough, he takes over the other ILB slot and Shazier can move outside (I don't count on Worilds being around past this season in almost any scenario). If he's not starter material, then we've got a capable backup and rotation player; there are a lot worse things. If he leaves in FA because there's not enough playing time to go around, that's his call, but for now, get your best guys on the squad.

I also don't think the depth at LB and safety this year means it's going to stay that way for the long term. There are a thousand reasons why things can change, and fast, but assuming that the 4 or 6 guys who are starting today are going to be the exact same 4 or 6 guys who are starting a year from now is pretty bold. Put it this way, I wouldn't bet money on it.

KeiselPower99
07-29-2014, 06:10 PM
I think when we drafted him we thought of him as a Timmons kind of player. I would assume we still do. You cant have enough athletic linebackers

GBMelBlount
07-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Still think he will be a safety/ILB hybrid, if he still has his ball hawking and speed skills.

Spence never had clock speed but was instinctive, had football smarts and made a lot plays in college.