PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton is a far better leader than Ben

polamalubeast
07-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Emmanuel Sanders arrived in Denver this offseason after four years in Pittsburgh. He immediately noticed a big difference between Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

Sanders said on 104.3 The Fan in Denver that Manning’s leadership and determination to win goes far beyond that of Roethlisberger or any other teammate Sanders has ever had.

“I feel like Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with him, things of that sort,” Sanders said. “This is the first time that I’ve had a quarterback that every single day after practice — no matter what his accolades, NFL MVP, Super Bowl ring — he keeps guys like me and [rookie receiver Cody] Latimer after practice. . . . He’s not one of those guys you’ve got to chase down. He’s going to be right in the same spot, ready to work, every single day. I just feel like that’s a difference from a mental standpoint.”

Sanders said he views Roethlisberger as a winner, too, and he enjoyed their time as teammates. But he’s enjoying his time with Manning even more.

“I’ve got so much love for Ben,” Sanders said. “At the same time, I’m not going to lie. I’m happy to be part of this organization and happy that Peyton is my quarterback.”

Those comments will surely be received better in Denver than in Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/28/emmanuel-sanders-peyton-is-a-far-better-leader-than-ben/

blackngldblood
07-28-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm sure he is happy to be out of Pittsburgh, where most fans didn't appreciate his ability to catch the game changers....

slippy
07-28-2014, 04:35 PM
after sanders drops two or three balls, manning will just stop throwing his way. good luck with your lifes work, manny.

Count Steeler
07-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Preseason BS. blah, blah, blah

GBMelBlount
07-28-2014, 04:58 PM
I respect Manning's work ethic and attitude.

I think this is going to put one more chip on Ben's shoulders.

Can't wait for the season to start so people can shut up and play.

86WARD
07-28-2014, 05:09 PM
But he doesn't keep Wes Welker or DeMaryius Thomas after practice?

Maybe that says something?

It's no secret that Peyton has one of the best work ethics in the league...to say it's "far better" than Ben's? I have no idea...but whatever Ben has been doing has been pretty good...

Bluecoat96
07-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Just listened to Warren Sapp talk about this on NFLN. I can't believe I'm about to type this, but he summed it up very nicely and I agree with him 100%. (Barf)

He said that he bets Manning would trade all of his awards for the the 2 rings that Ben has. Sapp also said that as far as Sanders is concerned, there's a difference between old school and new school. New school is me me me first and Sanders is just trying to get his 15 minutes of fame, and is stroking his QB's ego to get more targets thrown his way.

fansince'76
07-28-2014, 05:45 PM
The same Sanders that was beat out of playing time and then a job by AB despite being drafted 3 rounds higher wants to talk about work ethic? Really? Seems to me if he needs his QB to babysit him to "keep him after practice," maybe his work ethic isn't all that either.

We'll see how much he likes Peyton after he drops a few that hit him right between the numbers and Peyton starts throwing elsewhere...

SteelMember
07-28-2014, 05:58 PM
#1 I don't think there are many players with Paytons devotion.

#2 Payton could make him a lot of money come contact time. A la Eric Decker and a slew of others. So, yeah he should like him.

fansince'76
07-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Payton could make him a lot of money come contact time. A la Eric Decker and a slew of others. So, yeah he should like him.

Unless his hands have gotten better, I doubt it. Manning doesn't like it too much when his WRs butterfinger passes that he hits them with in stride from what I've seen...

stillers4me
07-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Emmanual Sanders is dead to me.

SteelerFanInStl
07-28-2014, 06:18 PM
First Clark says that Washington has the best secondary that he's ever played with and now Manny's running his mouth.

These guys are still butt hurt that the Steelers let them go.

If they were any good, they'd still be here.

I'm also waiting for the Peyton tirade after Manny drops a crucial pass.

tube517
07-28-2014, 06:20 PM
:yawn:

fansince'76
07-28-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm also waiting for the Peyton tirade after Manny drops a crucial pass.

Or when Manning chews his ass out on national TV after he makes a mistake that leads to an INT...

SteelMember
07-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Unless his hands have gotten better, I doubt it. Manning doesn't like it too much when his WRs butterfinger passes that he hits them with in stride from what I've seen...

True, but Payton will throw him more short passes. He throws softer too. Have you seen Bens arm. Lol.

tube517
07-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Manny Sweed needs to worry about the WRs ahead of him and even a monster at TE who will probably take away many of his targets in 2014 rather than whether his QB wins the blue ribbon for most study hall hours preparing for a game.

GBMelBlount
07-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Bam.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users13/eternalradiance/default/immaculate-tackle--large-msg-116508942914.jpg

stillers4me
07-28-2014, 06:32 PM

stillers4me
07-28-2014, 06:38 PM
After that piss poor performance in his last game, manning needs to stay and do the extra work.

Craic
07-28-2014, 06:39 PM
The funniest thing is that, at least form the context, that is NOT what Sanders said—that Manning was far better than Roethlisberger. He said that Peyton is a far better leader than anyone he's every played with. That's not a dig at Ben. Of course Peyton is a better leader. It's been on of his best strengths and what made him one of the great QBs of our time. And yes, Peyton is exactly that. I just love how the writer here likes to skip right over that and stir stuff up. Next thing we know, we'll be reading an article on how the Rooneys are trying to lure Manning to Pittsburgh since they didn't give a contract to Ben, since Peyton is such a better leader than ben alone.

Seriously, it's training camp. Can't the writers actually write about camp?

stillers4me
07-28-2014, 07:00 PM
In 10 seasons, Roethlisberger has led the Steelers to four division titles, three AFC Championships and two Lombardi Trophies.

Yet Roethlisberger consistently is ranked behind Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and others despite owning a 105-51 career record, including 10-4 in the playoffs.

Roethlisberger owns franchise records with his 63.3 completion percentage, 219 touchdowns, 34, 105 passing yards.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2014/07/28/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-tomlin/13298249/

fansince'76
07-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Of course Peyton is a better leader. It's been on of his best strengths and what made him one of the great QBs of our time. And yes, Peyton is exactly that.

Overall, yes, but it really hasn't historically shown up in the postseason. Manning is one of the all-time greats as long as everything is running "according to script." When it doesn't, and especially in the big games, he panics and you get the chicken-with-its-head-cut-off act everyone was treated to in this past Super Bowl. Let's face it, the guy never could get his head back in the game after the botched snap on the Broncos' first drive and it just went downhill for him from there. Panicking in the face of adversity has been a recurring theme throughout Manning's career.

IMO, that is the one area where Ben is better as a leader than Manning - intestinal fortitude. When things break down and a situation calls for a cool head and improvisation and making something out of nothing, he leaves Manning (and just about everyone else outside of maybe Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana) in the dust. And his teammates have often fed off of it. IMO, it's a big reason why Super Bowl XLV didn't become a laugher after we went down 21-3 early and was a big factor in us pulling out Super Bowl XLIII with 2 minutes and some change left on the clock.

86WARD
07-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Watch the video...

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/2014/07/28/manning-rocky-top-dancing/13271693/

Craic
07-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Overall, yes, but it really hasn't historically shown up in the postseason. Manning is one of the all-time greats as long as everything is running "according to script." When it doesn't, and especially in the big games, he panics and you get the chicken-with-its-head-cut-off act everyone was treated to in this past Super Bowl. Let's face it, the guy never could get his head back in the game after the botched snap on the Broncos' first drive and it just went downhill for him from there. Panicking in the face of adversity has been a recurring theme throughout Manning's career.

IMO, that is the one area where Ben is better as a leader than Manning - intestinal fortitude. When things break down and a situation calls for a cool head and improvisation and making something out of nothing, he leaves Manning (and just about everyone else outside of maybe Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana) in the dust. And his teammates have often fed off of it. IMO, it's a big reason why Super Bowl XLV didn't become a laugher after we went down 21-3 early and was a big factor in us pulling out Super Bowl XLIII with 2 minutes and some change left on the clock.

Naa, I have no disagreement with you whatsoever. Peyton makes his mark on the game because he's a cerebral, "out think your opponent" type quarterback. Ben makes his mark on the game because he's the "Oh crap—busted play . . .EVERYONE GO DEEP! I'll run around for five seconds and shake off a couple tackles!" quarterback. Which would I rather have? Before a game, Peyton Manning every time. When things go to pot in a game? Ben R. every time. In truth, I wish we could fuse to two.

- - - Updated - - -

Watch the video...

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/2014/07/28/manning-rocky-top-dancing/13271693/

Well . . . at least we now know something that Peyton needs a lot of work in.

Jaucer
07-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Well . . . at least we now know something that Peyton needs a lot of work in.

Peyton's dance looked a lot like your signature. :lol:

SteelMember
07-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Watch the video...

No one ever said he wasn't a big goober with an eighthead... 'cut that meat! cut that meat!' lol.

steelreserve
07-29-2014, 11:23 AM
I don't think Sanders is going to make much difference there. Unless Denver signs Dr. Henry Heimlich, they're not winning a championship with Manning at QB.

HollywoodSteel
07-29-2014, 12:14 PM
I agree with pretty much every point everyone has already said. Manning is the best QB in terms of practice and preparation than anyone in the history of football. No Steelers fan (that isn't brain dead) will deny this. I think Manny got very lucky and landed in the perfect spot for him. Manning will make him the best possible receiver he can be. Eric Decker should give Manning a bigger percentage of his new paychecks than he gives his agent because he will never, ever, duplicate those kinds of stats again. Manning has probably watched film on every play that Sanders was involved with last year and knows that he needs the extra attention. So, good for Sanders. But now he has zero excuses to ever drop a ball or screw up a route, so we'll see how he does under that pressure. If he doesn't capitalize on what Manning has to offer then he is blowing a receiver's wet dream opportunity of a lifetime. If he stays healthy enough to get another contract after this (and Manning stays QB for those years) some team will probably overpay for him (as the Jets did with Decker). I'm happy for him and his family.

It doesn't really make me think any less of Ben though. He has two rings for a reason, and he'll do just fine without Sanders.

TMC
07-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Now is the time to praise Manning's leadership, but if they get into the playoffs and Sanders drops a pass or two and they lose, I wonder how he will feel when Manning throws his ass under the bus.

Great leaders often do more than study film and prepare, sometimes they take the beating when other teammates mess up. Manning rarely does that.

steel striker
07-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Not than many people outside of us who watched every steeler game would know this. Well documented that Brown was head and shoulders above Sanders. Plus like many have mentioned Sanders has always had a case of the drops throughout his playing time in the Burgh. Lets see who made the big catch against the Ravens in the Div Round of the 2010 Playoffs? You know the play the deep ball on fourth down that Brown caught against his helmet and, did Sanders even cat one ball during that game? Hell NO! It ticks me off that Sanders would take a shot at Ben like this. Ben helped you get this contract you have and, this how you thank him. I hope he drops several passes and, Manning rips him a new one. I just can't see Sanders having a big impact this year with all of the other players they have. Welker, D. Thomas, J. Thomas. ect. It gets old hearing alot of the media treating Ben like he is chopped liver.

tube517
08-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Broncos (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/den/denver-broncos?ex_cid=null) wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13295/emmanuel-sanders?ex_cid=null) was always one of the better interviews during the four seasons he spent with the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers?ex_cid=null). He almost always gave thoughtful and honest answers, and I don't want to bash him for his unvarnished take on Peyton Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1428/peyton-manning?ex_cid=null)'s leadership compared to that of Ben Roethlisberger (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger?ex_cid=null).

Too often we, as in the media, complain that the players and teams we cover give responses to our questions that are as canned as they are clichéd. And then we club them over the head with their words if they ignite a controversy.

What I can't reconcile with Sanders' assertion that Manning is a "far better leader" than Roethlisberger is a scene inside a silent visiting locker room at M&T Bank Stadium late last November.

The Steelers had just suffered a crushing 22-20 loss to the Ravens (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/bal/baltimore-ravens) after rallying back from a double-digit fourth-quarter deficit. They should have tied the game late when Roethlisberger put a two-point conversion pass right on Sanders' hands.........

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/80171/a-puzzling-interpretation-of-leadership

SteelerFanInStl
08-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Sanders just doesn't know when to shut up. I never hated him when he was with the Steelers but I'm starting to now.

stillers4me
08-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Sanders just doesn't know when to shut up. I never hated him when he was with the Steelers but I'm starting to now.

This. The thing that makes the angriest is that since his suspension, Ben has done everything right. Yet the media goes over the top with any story that makes Ben look bad. Like "Aha! I told you he was a bad guy!".

MrPgh
08-15-2014, 11:23 PM
This. The thing that makes the angriest is that since his suspension, Ben has done everything right. Yet the media goes over the top with any story that makes Ben look bad. Like "Aha! I told you he was a bad guy!".

This is what happened on Fox Sports 1 last night. They were acting as if Ben was way out of line for his reaction to Sanders comments. One of them even said something along the lines of "Ben isn't the face of the Steelers franchise. He hasn't endeared himself in Pittsburgh and that's on him." Now I wonder, is this true? Or is that sentiment just from a vocal minority of Yinzer Nation that can't get over what happened four years ago and probably just hate the fact the NFL is officiated towards making QBs successful and wants three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football?

But I must say I don't think Ben should be hurt over what Sanders said. He just needs to remember he's a 2x Super Bowl winning QB and Sanders is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th WR.

X-Terminator
08-16-2014, 12:22 AM
This is what happened on Fox Sports 1 last night. They were acting as if Ben was way out of line for his reaction to Sanders comments. One of them even said something along the lines of "Ben isn't the face of the Steelers franchise. He hasn't endeared himself in Pittsburgh and that's on him." Now I wonder, is this true? Or is that sentiment just from a vocal minority of Yinzer Nation that can't get over what happened four years ago and probably just hate the fact the NFL is officiated towards making QBs successful and wants three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football?

But I must say I don't think Ben should be hurt over what Sanders said. He just needs to remember he's a 2x Super Bowl winning QB and Sanders is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th WR.

It's really not. That sentiment is 100% media-driven. The fans have pretty much forgiven Ben since he's kept his nose clean since his run-ins with the law. Sure, there are some holdouts, but very, very few.

Count Steeler
08-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Do it on the field Ben!

Ben SB wins 2 1 loss
Manning (Eli) SB wins 2 0 losses
Manning (Peyton) SB wins 1 2 losses

I don't know, if I had to pick a QB to win a big game, Peyton would NOT be my choice. Regular season, Peyton MAY be one of the greatest of all time, but something changes in the playoffs.

See ya in the AFCCG Sanders.

ALLD
08-16-2014, 07:02 AM
Ben is a better leader under pressure. I would take him with 15 minutes to play.

X-Terminator
08-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Do it on the field Ben!

Ben SB wins 2 1 loss
Manning (Eli) SB wins 2 0 losses
Manning (Peyton) SB wins 1 2 losses

I don't know, if I had to pick a QB to win a big game, Peyton would NOT be my choice. Regular season, Peyton MAY be one of the greatest of all time, but something changes in the playoffs.

See ya in the AFCCG Sanders.

Peyton folds like a cheap suit when he's under pressure. He's great when everything runs smoothly, on-script and on-rhythm. When it doesn't...well, you get last year's Super Bowl. When the pressure's on and I need a TD to win the game, I take Ben and (ugh) Marsha. I'd even take Eli ahead of Peyton in that situation. All he's done was beat the "bestest team ever" in the Super Bowl not once, but twice, as the huge underdog.

stillers4me
08-16-2014, 09:05 AM
I've never seen anybody try harder than Ben to win back the fans and do what's right for the team. He takes responsibility for everything and gives credit to everybody else. Personally, I think he just manned up and took all the heat for the "incidents" or whatever you want to call them, even though they weren't entirely his fault so the girl could just go on with her life. He never cleared his name with the McNutty case so his new family wouldn't have to go through it. Ben is a "man" in every sense of the word. I wonder if someday, after his career is over, he speaks out about it.

MrPgh
08-16-2014, 10:31 AM
It's really not. That sentiment is 100% media-driven. The fans have pretty much forgiven Ben since he's kept his nose clean since his run-ins with the law. Sure, there are some holdouts, but very, very few.

That might be where the media is getting this sentiment from. Sure the holdouts may be in the minority, but dissenting opinions are generally the loudest and most vocal on social media.

stillers4me
08-16-2014, 10:37 AM
While none of us like that he put himself in those situations, he really grew up and handled it well. I think his advisors told him to keep quiet, take responsibility and ownership of the situation, and move on. He has done nothing but that, and done it well. I'm sure he wanted nothing more than to clear his name, but instead put his entire focus on his career and his family.

CapLovesTroyP43
08-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Oh, I like that!!!!! Cool!!!

SteelerFanInStl
08-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Ben has done nothing but be a great leader on this team. He supports his teammates 100% and always has their back. He never throws anyone under the bus or places blame. He also has been known to take the blame himself even if it wasn't his fault. That's what a leader does. How often did he stick up for his OL when they stunk? He's done the same for receivers that have dropped passes that should have been caught.

IMO some people just don't know what a leader is.

steel striker
08-16-2014, 10:58 AM
I want nothing more than for Sanders to a tank a few balls when the game was on the line much like he did here while has in the Burgh. I understand have the back of your new Qb but, the way he threw ben under the bus was bush league. Like many have mentioned Ben lobbied for the steelers to keep Sanders last year and, always seemed to help Manny. Then this is the way he showed respect and, I hope he has a terrible season. Also i hope Manning Yells at he alot.

stillers4me
08-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Peyton Manning is no dummy. For all we know, he may not actually approve of what Sanders said. Sanders could easily throw him under the bus next time.