PDA

View Full Version : Jones focused on big second season for Steelers

stillers4me
07-27-2014, 11:42 AM
His Twitter handle is SacManJones_29.
That Jarvis Jones had just one quarterback sack in his rookie season with the Steelers, perhaps that name was fitting.

After all, he wasn’t Sac(s)ManJones_29.

Jones hopes to make those sacks a plurality in 2014.

“That’s my name, man. It’s copyrighted,” Jones said Saturday at the Steelers training camp at Saint Vincent College. “I’ve got to live up to the name.”

It was something Jones did at the University of Georgia, where he was an All-America linebacker and the Sotheastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2012, leading major college football with 14 1/2 sacks.

The Steelers made him the 17th pick in the 2013 draft and the first linebacker selected.

Despite being given a starting job for the Steelers at right outside linebacker coming out of training camp, the explosiveness he displayed in college didn’t translate to the NFL. Jones struggled with assignments and was eventually benched in favor of Jason Worilds, though he did wind up starting eight games because of injuries to LaMarr Woodley, who has since been released. That leaves Jones and Worilds as the Steelers’ unquestioned outside linebacker tandem.........

Read more @ http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20140726/SPORTS0403/140729621#.U9UroJV0ycx

Psycho Ward 86
07-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Jones said he had an impromptu coaching session late last season from an unusual source, Cleveland left tackle Joe Thomas. The Browns and Steelers played in the regular-season final, and Jones said that Thomas, a perennial All-Pro, was giving him tips.

“I think the main thing is that I had to work on my technique and my steps,” Jones said. “I’m playing against the best blockers on the team on the left side. Those guys watch film. They break it down. I was talking to Joe Thomas from the Browns. We were just having a conversation throughout the game as far as hand placement and stuff like that.”

WTF. You know you're playing badly when the player that responsible for stopping you is trying to help you get the better of him :lol:

stillers4me
07-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Kind of sad...kind of cool. I guess it's not all smack talk out there.

BigNastyDefense
07-27-2014, 07:33 PM
I've met Joe Thomas, and the guy is really cool.

He's considered the best LT in the AFC, and part of the reason he was helping JJ is because he wants to be stopping Pro Bowl OLB/DE players. He wants to walk off the field knowing he stopped the best the league has to offer, that's the only way to stay on top.

The fact that JJ was doing so badly that JT had to give him coaching however, is kinda sad.

Shoes
07-27-2014, 08:00 PM
I've met Joe Thomas, and the guy is really cool.

He's considered the best LT in the AFC, and part of the reason he was helping JJ is because he wants to be stopping Pro Bowl OLB/DE players. He wants to walk off the field knowing he stopped the best the league has to offer, that's the only way to stay on top.

The fact that JJ was doing so badly that JT had to give him coaching however, is kinda sad.

Which begs the question…what were our coaches doing?

Psycho Ward 86
07-27-2014, 09:10 PM

i believe the term for what they were doing is Jack Bicknell-ing

GBMelBlount
07-27-2014, 09:39 PM
WTF. You know you're playing badly when the player that responsible for stopping you is trying to help you get the better of him :lol:

He is basically saying: "Watching you play is more painful than pulling my own teeth out."

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/04/article-0-034B9396000005DC-526_468x608.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Working out with a bunch of dumbells?

http://v.cdn.vine.co/r/thumbs/A428447B76988686787432050688_1913d68effc.3.1.mp4_d at0ZuspEJm5WAQpNbhR4tPdY99YAJTVsXiCDwSIqkvPpCvSun9 ..a0uDv72V7Th.jpg?versionId=N61gDoa_O5cO.HVyMhCDno n78oi.LRtp